Paper cutter or Scissors for Trimming cards?

claire1805

I am contemplating on whether to trim off the borders of the Druidcraft as it is rather difficult to handle it. But I am afraid of messing it up (it was a Christmas gift from a very kind member here) and spoiling this precious deck.

I would like to know whether a paper cutter or scissors will be better for trimming cards in general. Any handy tips? Just in case I work the nerves to do it, but I don't think it will be anytime soon.

gregory

Many will disagree here, BUT...

I have tried both. I am no expert, but the potential for disaster with a paper cutter is 1000000% times worse. With scissors - you spot the oopsie while it's tiny and you might get a small imperfection. An off base slash with a cutter and your card is - kind of gone. I have done two decks now (the disaster, mercifully, was with a self printed one) and I have one perfect one and one with one card having a small nick.

In a few minutes you will see a load of people saying the opposite.

They do need to be GOOD scissors, though. And longish blades. Try it all out on a few old postcards and see how you do.

claire1805

I have tried both. I am no expert, but the potential for disaster with a paper cutter is 1000000% times worse. With scissors - you spot the oopsie while it's tiny and you might get a small imperfection. An off base slash with a cutter and your card is - kind of gone. I have done two decks now (the disaster, mercifully, was with a self printed one) and I have one perfect one and one with one card having a small nick.

They do need to be GOOD scissors, though. And longish blades. Try it all out on a few old postcards and see how you do.

Thank you for your advice, gregory! I really appreciate it. I have never used a paper cutter before so the potential for disaster can be a serious source of concern. You just validated my fear of going with the paper cutter, the scissors is a safer choice.

I will see if I can invest in good, sharp scissors with long blades. The Druidcraft Tarot has borders that are hard to cut, so I thought that a paper cutter would be more efficient and precise.

mercuryempress

I destroyed one of my cards using a paper cutter; luckily I used the extra card as a practice run. The paper cutter can be great if you know exactly where to place the card.

I always use scissors and a corner edger which you can score off of ebay for $2.70 which also includes shipping..takes about a week to get it in the mail.

gregory

It probably is.

Until you miss.... There are many people here who don't miss, but then again

http://tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=4468305&postcount=207

I'm not sure what she used.... Oh - scissors.... Well, I did mine with scissors and it's fine. Then again - it couldn't have been any WORSE, that one :bugeyed:

I don't know where you are, but Fiskars do good scissors and so do Buffalo (I got my Buffalo ones from Pharmaplus, where they always seem to be on special !) You will later want a corner rounder. That's just an example. I have no idea what brand mine is, as I'm not in that house just now ! They are VERY easy to use; I almost always find I need the small ALWAYS do one card at a time. It doesn't take long. Buy on Amazon; craft stores are outrageous for the same brands.

gregory

I destroyed one of my cards using a paper cutter; luckily I used the extra card as a practice run. The paper cutter can be great if you know exactly where to place the card.
Even then, you can miss. Trust me, I know this :|

Padma

I always use a metal cork-back straight edged ruler, and a fine point pen-style exacto blade to trim mine. And I use a nail trimmer (nail clipper) to round off the corners. I trim the edges off the whole deck first, then go back to round the corners on each card. I use a self-healing cutting pad under the cards, so that I can work on any surface with no danger.

It helpfully has a grid printed on it, so it is easy to stay in line. And the grippy rubber surface helps the cards stay in place while I cut. I press down really hard on the cork-backed ruler as well, to make certain the card doesn't slip while I am cutting!

I have done several decks like this, and have had no issues :) (except my hand gets sore after a while from holding down the ruler!) Good luck with yours! As others have noted here, practice on playing cards or postcards before attempting deck...

Maskelyne

I use a paper cutter. I tape a steel rule to the cutter bed to use as a stop, and get perfectly uniform trimmed decks. This doesn't work well if the printing isn't uniformly positioned on the cards, though.

Thoughtful

It may depend on the type of paper cutter you buy. l bought this type and had no problems at all with this one, you really can't go wrong.
l used it for my Druidcraft deck then used a rounder for the corners. It was perfect it spurred me on to cut some others that l felt needed it.

http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/images/g/FOUAAMXQNo5TWyj9/s-l225.jpg

Beanfeasa

I work in printing and use a very good paper cutter daily, but absolutely prefer the control and ability to catch a mistake with scissors. i half trimmed a few decks and wouldn't contemplate anything else.