Paper cutter or Scissors for Trimming cards?

ScorpioRegen

I trimmed down my Druidcraft deck for the same reason as you. I used a guillotine

https://www.craftyarts.co.uk/card-m...Qd6bnqoJhbVGyBTBi0TPXEg2nbhIbLHZdUaAhUG8P8HAQ

with a corner rounder punch

http://www.createandcraft.tv/pp/xcu...8cJHzZG6CEP8vnYHvapiID6aRxU-MgI-msaAixD8P8HAQ

Its the first time ever trimming a deck and I found it quite easy as there is a grid on the base of the guillotine so you can match the cut line to the border line on the card. (keeping them straight) Finished them with the corner punch.

Whilst there is a slight difference on some of the sizes it turned out a good job.

Attachments

• druid craft pic.jpg
    druid craft pic.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 219
  • druidcraft 2.jpg
    druidcraft 2.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 220

Marcus R

Like Padma, I use a self healing pad, hobby knife and steel rule. I trimmed a TdM this way and it came out alright though the cards are not all perfect.
I have a Druidcraft I'm thinking of trimming. You could go with the borders all round and round the corners, but then you lose the border on the corners and I reckon that will look weird.
I'm thinking of cutting off the borders and rounding the corners. This will result in a borderless picture, a line under the pic (stone border) and a floating title. Cards should be firmer and easier to shuffle.
Doing this by hand will result in slight differences in card size but the gains outweigh the effort.
Look forward to seeing the result before I massacre mine. Good luck.

Edit to say......just checked ScorpioRegens pics and they are exactly what I'm thinking of doing, very nice Scorpio, very nice.

claire1805

Like Padma, I use a self healing pad, hobby knife and steel rule. I trimmed a TdM this way and it came out alright though the cards are not all perfect.
I have a Druidcraft I'm thinking of trimming. You could go with the borders all round and round the corners, but then you lose the border on the corners and I reckon that will look weird.
I'm thinking of cutting off the borders and rounding the corners. This will result in a borderless picture, a line under the pic (stone border) and a floating title. Cards should be firmer and easier to shuffle.
Doing this by hand will result in slight differences in card size but the gains outweigh the effort.
Look forward to seeing the result before I massacre mine. Good luck.

Edit to say......just checked ScorpioRegens pics and they are exactly what I'm thinking of doing, very nice Scorpio, very nice.

So.....I FINALLY TRIMMED MY DRUIDCRAFT TODAY!!!.....

After further contemplation, I took out a scissors and started snipping the borders away! The process was very tedious and difficult. It took me 7 hours!!! I have no idea what I did wrong but while I was cutting, the edges of the cards became a little peeled, with some whites showing. The edges were raw.

Overall, I think I am proud of myself for deciding to take the chance. I am a perfectionist so this is a huge step for me. I wanted to confront my fear of making mistakes and creating flaws.

The trimmed deck isn't 100% perfect, far from it. It is very uneven and the front and backing of the cards have chipped (maybe I should have gotten a scissors with thinner blades) but I think that I have to let these flaws go.

I was thinking of doing some edge treatment (I have one distress ink stamp pad) for the Druidcraft. Should I do it? :)

Might post some photos tomorrow :) I removed the border but kept the titles intact.

eolian

After trimming edge treatment is a must. Way to go on the trimming after the treatment you have made a deck with your own flair.

I found a corner rounder that also cut little 1/2 circles and when i have used it to give readings people have looked through the little openings.

quietly

I see you've already jumped in and trimmed, but for future reference.... Count me in as another scissors user! I bought a pair with very long blades (so I can cut in one motion) that I make sure to only use for the long edges (and never cut anything else with them - cue hiding them far away from the sewing desk), that way they stay nice and sharp and I don't have to spend money on another pair any time soon. The short edges, I just used my normal good scissors. I have pretty shaky hands but didn't encounter a problem even when I trimmed my first deck. I had a harder time when there wasn't an obvious line to follow, but I lightly sketched a line across in pencil to help. Oh, and I preferred to limit myself to only doing maybe one suit a day, otherwise I knew I'd keep going until my hands cramped and mess up.

It sounds silly, but for anyone who's not sure about their ability to use scissors for this, try printing out some kind of coloring sheet, and see if you can cut just along the outside of a line - not on it, but so that one piece has the black line with almost no extra white, and the other piece is white with almost no extra black. If you can manage that, you can trim a deck near perfectly.

As to splitting edges, I haven't encountered that yet. It might just be the cardstock or your scissors weren't sharp enough. I'm sure one of the people who's trimmed that particular deck can chime in and mention if that happened to them!

gregory

After trimming edge treatment is a must. Way to go on the trimming after the treatment you have made a deck with your own flair.
I haven't edge trimmed mine and they're fine.... Most decks don't have anything done to them in the factory; the big machine just goes chomp and that's it....

G6

I use the RotaTrim at Kinkos and their cornering machine - ALL FOR FREE! šŸ˜Š

The RotaTrim there is a bit more used/beat up than I would like, but it still works out.

Madrigal

I have always used a paper cutter and cannot imagine using scissors. I've got a good mid-line paper cutter and a corner rounder that uses several different sizes. I've been extremely satisfied with the results. I could never get the clean, straight edges I get with a paper cutter using scissors.

Tanga

Long sharp scissors and a corner rounder.
That's it.
Half the time - I'll then dye the edges with Tim Holtz distress ink.