Booking dates are down.... also co-op questions

mac22

As anyone else noticed their booking dates are down/off? As many of you know for the past several years I've been reading at 2 high end day spas. I used to stay booked 3-4 mos in advance. Now I'm down to bookings of about six weeks in advance.

Now to some that may not be shocking but I see it as a down turn in the US economy -- Even affecting the rich & well off.

Several local readers, including myself, are discussing a readers co-op. How does a readers co-op differ from a natural food co-op [with which I have experience]?? How do you find & rent space? Where? Does the co-op get a percentage of each reading? Who covers the insurance?

Sorry for all the questions .... thanks.

Mac22

Baroli

Well,....a group of us here on the east coast are considering what they are doing out in Washington, which is just terrific. They basically had the mountain come to Mohammed. People found places to work at, other people shared the work load of doing flyers, etc, everyone is responsible for their tables, chairs, etc. unless the place has stuff, the best part is that you aren't paying a percentage of what you earn, it's yours, because it's a co-op everybody benefits. Oh one more thing, everyone who is working that day, contributes to the rental of the room.

Now I just simplified the process (probably oversimplified), but I am sure there are those who have participated in the fairs. Perhaps they can shed some more light for you, Mac.

mac22

Baroli said:
Well,....a group of us here on the east coast are considering what they are doing out in Washington, which is just terrific. They basically had the mountain come to Mohammed. People found places to work at, other people shared the work load of doing flyers, etc, everyone is responsible for their tables, chairs, etc. unless the place has stuff, the best part is that you aren't paying a percentage of what you earn, it's yours, because it's a co-op everybody benefits. Oh one more thing, everyone who is working that day, contributes to the rental of the room.

Now I just simplified the process (probably oversimplified), but I am sure there are those who have participated in the fairs. Perhaps they can shed some more light for you, Mac.

Thanks.

We're a diverse group. We have a number of artists & computer graphics folks... so far we have 12 readers interested....:)

I'd love to hear the specifics of how Seattle does it....

Mac22

satinangel

...sorry, just found this thread. Off on a co-op scouting mission today...but am more than happy to answer any questions you have.

Baroli explained it in a nutshell. Two of us went out and found locations, talked to two more readers/healers, the word spread...we now have 20 some in the co-op (Not everyone does every fair...we have 5 co-op fairs a month here).

Two people handle the print advertising, one handles scheduling, one handles money, one handles web advertising, etc.

We have scheduled a monthly conference call to discuss what is going on, any changes that need to be made, etc.

Anyhoo...that's all I can think of this early in the morning...but feel free to ask away.

mac22

satinangel said:
...sorry, just found this thread. Off on a co-op scouting mission today...but am more than happy to answer any questions you have.

Baroli explained it in a nutshell. Two of us went out and found locations, talked to two more readers/healers, the word spread...we now have 20 some in the co-op (Not everyone does every fair...we have 5 co-op fairs a month here).

Two people handle the print advertising, one handles scheduling, one handles money, one handles web advertising, etc.

We have scheduled a monthly conference call to discuss what is going on, any changes that need to be made, etc.

Anyhoo...that's all I can think of this early in the morning...but feel free to ask away.

Many good ideas --- thanks!

Mac22

franniee

Mac, we got our first venue! I approached the place on monday and then Baroli and I went today and sealed the deal. :D

Go for it! Can't hurt.

mac22

franniee said:
Mac, we got our first venue! I approached the place on monday and then Baroli and I went today and sealed the deal. :D

Go for it! Can't hurt.

Glad to hear the wonderful news.

I [and the Co-Op} certainly will....:)

Mac22

mac22

Woohoo!!!

Just got our FIRST Co-Op booking.... a large bi-weekly Farmer's Market -- They provide tent & tables - nominal fee $45 we [the readers - 8 of us] show up!!!

Keep those good ideas coming....I'm very Jazzed.... hehe

We are trying for a small booth at the Sacramento Jazz festival:D

Think big, organize & aim high!!

WOOHOO!

Mac22

Baroli

Way to go Mac. Jazz festival is very cool, very cool indeed. :D

and very hip!! Hmmm, you got me thinkin',........Jazz!!!

mac22

Baroli said:
Way to go Mac. Jazz festival is very cool, very cool indeed. :D

and very hip!! Hmmm, you got me thinkin',........Jazz!!!

The Sacramento jazz festival is huge.... :)

I actually have 8 inquiries out atm.....:)

Mac22