Books about the Tarot de Marseilles

FantasticBeast

I'm new to tarot - this is only the third week since I became interested in it - and I'm in the process of picking out a deck.
I'm drawn to the 'original' type decks, but I'm having trouble learning anything about the TdM.

I did try to search the book forum, but I think I'm not using the correct keywords. The engine keeps saying 'memory is exceeded.'

Anyway, If I was to buy a TdM deck, is there a book written in English that would help me understand the deck at a beginner level? If you have any book recommendations that are at a more advanced level, that's fine too - I'm building quite the reading list!

Thanks for any advice; I'm learning so much at this forum!

zephyr_heart

Try The companion book that is available with Universal Tarot of Marseilles, published by Lo Scarabeo, which I just bought. It's a quite good book, and also, if you could, get the deck, too. Both are great source of learning for studying the TdM.

FantasticBeast

Thanks, zephyr-heart! I really hoped there was something portable I could take around with the deck - there's so much on the Marseilles part of the the forum that it will take me weeks to absorb even a little bit!

If anyone knows a good book on the different types of numerology, or the more historical interpretation of astrology, I would love some suggestions on that, too.

Lee

The Universal Marseille book is small, only 64 pages. Quite portable! :)

gregory

It's also pretty good :)

FantasticBeast

Oh, good. I knew the books that come with decks aren't always helpful, so I'm glad to hear you like it, gregory!

gregory

Never believe ANYTHING I say. Anyone here can tell you that......

.....seriously.

Le Fanu

I genuinely think that for English speakers there really is no decent book on the Marseilles apart from Lee's Universal Marseilles book. Everything else is sooooo RWS and often trying to hide the fact (with illustrations of Dodals and Covers)

FantasticBeast

Good to know, Le Fanu. Just to be clear, this is the Claude Burdel deck published by Lo Scarabeo, correct? I hope so, since this is the deck I have easiest access to.

I should have enough saved up to get this in another two weeks, so I'm getting excited!