Buying online vs choosing your own crystals

mysticmonkey

I've been browsing this sub-forum a bit and noticed that a lot of people buy their crystals online. Obviously this is the most convenient way and gives the widest choice but I've always thought that it was best to see the stones in person and choose the ones that feel right to you.

I'd be interested to hear your own thoughts on the matter. :)

Emeraldgirl

I do both and it is a risk. I have been lucky that the few times I have brought online crystals that turned out to be not for me they had a clear feeling for people who I could either gift them to or use them to trade.

MCsea

Hi catbaloo

I like that it costs much less to buy online and often there is a much greater choice, it is nice to be able to go into a store and choose also... crystal stores are some of my favourite shops..

I belive every thing is in Divine order, like Emeraldgirl said if you are not too happy with it you can pass it along.. there is never anything wrong with the crystal its just our vibration with it.

I wanted Moldavite for ages, but it cost too much, then I saw it online much cheaper and I swallowed and bought it, FANTATSTIC.. it was meant to come to me...

I also have been OUT there collecting my own, from the 'source' and I can say that in my opionion as long as you know what you are ordering the potential for energy exchange is equal.

I also 'put out' that I want a crystal with certain vibrations, often that helps 'us both' attune to eachother...

I hope you find many wonderful crystals!

MARINA

mysticmonkey

MCsea said:
I also 'put out' that I want a crystal with certain vibrations, often that helps 'us both' attune to eachother...
That's a good way to think about it. I believe sending out your wishes brings results so I might do this in future.

Thank you both for your opinions. :)

Darkblodlust101

I agree with you catbaloo it is best to choose you crystals in person so you can know what type of energy they hold.

wizzle

I buy a lot of my healing crystals on line and have yet to be disappointed. I figure they will become imprinted with my energy once I get them. But then, I look at them more like tools, like say for example a hammer and don't personalize things to the extent others do. Mostly I purchase spheres or hearts.

The only exception to this policy are crystal balls that I scry with. I want to see the inclusions and the exact color before I select one. Also, it's a major purchase so it has to be right.

I have been disappointed with cut gems online. They seem to me more expensive than I can purchase at gem shows and the quality has not been as good. Again, a cut gemstone is a major purchase, possibly hundreds if not thousands of dollars, so it is important to see exactly what you are getting.

sharpchick

I usually only buy online what I cannot find locally - like jet. I like to personally select crystals.

catlin

I also prefer picking my crystals in person, I want to know exactly what I get and how the crystals respond to me.

Bluemanticore

I prefer to buy my stones in person so I can hold it and get a "feel" for it. But, I would be open to buying a stone online if I know I already have a "feel" for it. One thing that has bugged me about buying online is I am not always 100% sure I know what I am getting, at least regarding size and shape and the like.

einhverfr

I buy gemstones online. I use them sometimes for rituals or for jewelry making. Some people don't like to use cut gems but I prever them in my work because this is another way that aspects of the crystal can show through.

Here are a few tips I have found:

1) Find a few merchants you can work with and trust.

2) It pays to do your research before you start buying online. Until you have a pretty good idea of what you are doing, start with rock stores, mineral shows, and the like.

3) If you are buying gems, look at the grading that the merchant gives the gem. Look at enhancements as well, and remember the 4 C's (Color, cut, carats, and clarity).

4) I always keep a tape measure with inches and mm near me when I am looking at possible gems because this allows me to better gauge the real size of the gem. Nothing like expecting that 3mm stone to be something larger than it is ;-)

In the end though, I think it is important to spend some time at least in rock shops and shows. You learn more there.