Can using too many decks decrease your reading abilities?

Téa

I know some people say that it is great to focus on one deck only and that that increases your reading abilities. I realize that studying and working with one deck only must open up new possibilities for interpretation, because of the in depth relationship you establish with the images. I wonder though, if the opposite would be true aswell? Suppose you have many decks and you keep going back and forth between them (like me). Just like many other ATers I use different decks for different questions and situations. I am just wondering if having too many decks, working with too many decks can somehow slow down the learning process, or keep you from developing your intuition and reading abilities? Or could it be more stimulating for your intuition to be exposed to different versions of the same card?

Sheri

In my experience, I have found that my readings have improved by using many different decks and reading intuitively. It really brings a freshness to a reading when you haven't worked with a deck for awhile. At least that has been my experience. As an inexperienced noob, it helped me realize that there is no "set in stone" meaning for a card. But working with one deck exclusively can also have its benefits. So there is merit to both - you will figure out which is best for you.

valeria :D

Elven

For many years I only had 3 decks - RWS, Thoth and a T'dM Oswald Wirth Deck. I was then lucky enough to get a Visconti Sforza. It took me a long time to read with these, and I was trying to develop some intuitive skills and feel confident as a reader.
Then I aquired a Mythic, some Sabian Symbols, Runes and Angel cards.
It wasnt really until I got to AT that I started to suddenly realize the amount of decks available :bugeyed: But by this time, I knew more about reading and I had read in a prefessional capacity, trusting myself with what I was getting from the cards. I felt I had sound grounding - and that the more decks were now a form of expansion.
Now I read with anything I can - not just decks of cards, but other mediums as well. For me it adds not detracts - but there are decks I have a great connection with, and I think this has come from the struggle of geting to know how to read it confidently and trust 'me'.
For me, it has been about focus with a particular deck - to get a learning process happening to start with, and then moving forward with other decks.

I dont think it decreased my ability to read having other decks - but it did expand the way in which I read and the reading style.

Just some thoughts.

Blessings Elven x

SunChariot

That could depend on how you read. I have 33 decks, 21 Tarots and 12 Oracles. I shift regularly between them, often using two in the same reading. For me it stimulates my imagination and creativity more that way and I wouldn't change a thing. It just helps my readings stay fresh.

That being said, this could be (at least in part) because I don't either learn of study decks. I have my way of reading down pat and that works equally well on an image in any card in any deck. There is no learning period to what I do, just pull out deck and go as soon as it comes in the mail. In fact I find I usually don't ever read the books with the decks now, as if I start to remember the book meaning it affects my readings negatively.

Bar

connegrl

You might want to do a search for a thread called the 'one deck wonder'. I think reading with many decks vs reading with just one has to do with the individual. Where you are on your path would indicate just where you should concentrate your study. I will say that reading with just one deck for a period (1 month or 6 months) can really deepen your ability to listen to your intuition and learn the nuances of a deck.

Jen

Pagan X

I think it really depends on your cognitive style and how you learn. Some people will learn better through comparing decks and interacting with the symbols through many facets; other people will learn better by focusing on one deck.

The only One Right And True Answer is to experiment and see which works best for you. Being anxious about Tarot Attention Deficit Disorder itself will hinder study and enjoyment. Unless someone is in a degreed Tarot Occupational Course on a deadline, I don't see the need to optimize one's learning by being overanalytical about the process.

In other words....

Relax. You are doing everything perfectly.