Silk, velvet?

Stanton

Hi. I've been staring at my decks lately, noticing how naked they are.

I've heard, "put them in a bag," often enough, so I think it's time to do this. I'm a cheap person by nature, so I was looking at my fabrics [as opposed to buying new]. Well, I have velvet, but no silk. Is there a taboo for this? Does velvet have anywhere near the vibrational qualities of silk? How about Cotton then?

Thanks.

euripides

if you check out some of the other threads about things like cleansing and boxes, you'll find a pretty mixed bag of views about the importance or otherwise of materials.

So I'd say, go to town with your velvet. Velvet is nice; beautiful tactile qualities.

Miren

Well, I can't touch velvet, it does fingernails on the chalkboard to my brain. But...it's a lovely fabric! And I think it's very suitable for tarot cards. It used to be very precious, so that only the wealthies people and the best things got to wear it. So your decks would be your "best things." :)

And you'd keep my grubby hands off them in the process. ;)

ana luisa

It´s funny you mentioned the two fabrics I really like to use. In my case, I pick the fabric depending on the energy of the pack. Some packs are "hotter", more charged than others. For those, the fresher silk works better to balance them out . I would NEVER use leather because it reminds me of the dead animal behind it.That´s just me...

Grizabella

There are no rules. You can put your cards in any fabric you like. Some people even like to use Crown Royal bags for their decks. The deck doesn't care. Just use whatever makes you feel the best about it.

Summersweet

Use a sock ;) I do and its cheap :)

mgrace

An ignorant question (& perhaps misplaced!)

Dear Folks,
Could someone tell me, fabric aside: It seems like using a bag, the cards are still "free to move about the plane" (although it seems maybe some people put the box in the bag...?; mostly I think, it's just the deck -- ?). To me, they are still vulnerable, as they aren't going to stay tight in the pack. (So I use various other arrangements.) Could someone tell me -- or point me to -- what I'm missing? Thank you!

thinbuddha

I don't use bags except on decks that I've trimmed. Bags don't offer much protection for your cards- I think that the main thing that the bag users like is that they make something of a fashion statement when compared to a box.

Grizabella

I like to use bags because the box the cards originally come in gets so worn out in a short time. A bag is easier to take along somewhere than a wooden box, too. If you use a lined bag that's the right size for your cards, it's more protection for the deck than you imagine. It depends on what you do when you're carrying your cards, I guess. I don't drag mine behind my bike or anything, so they stay really nice in bags. :D

mgrace

Thanks, &

Right now when I shlep, I wrap then in a silk or nice bandana cloth (!), and put them in a variety of non-Tarot-type bags, matching size pretty well. And then I'm Still careful. A lot of wrapping & unwrapping, and moving things from House boxes to Travel bags! I do love my decks...! (The boxes are, for the most part, some very nice cigar boxes that I found at a fancy tobacconist shop. Multiple decks per box; seems to work.) Thanks!