Can your own insecurities affect a reading for another person you are reading for?

Katherine Lee

I think it's really important to have a clear mind and no emotional baggage when it comes to doing a reading even if it's for someone else. I tend to focus on the question at hand and if you start getting side tracked or nervous or thinking of a million other questions then it will throw off your reading and not be as accurate as you wish it would be. I wouldn't say that it would be a huge change but it would help you lose the focus you need to inturpret the meanings correctly.

Hence I always tell my friends not to do a reading if you're tired or not in the mood because the effort you put into the reading will turn up in your cards as well.

Cassandra022

I generally agree w/ what everyone says, but I guess it also depends on degree of personal issues and the reader. I've given what seem, according to feedback at least, to be good/no worse than otherwise readings even when my mood was quite shitty, but then, i kind of have a lot of experience with/am generally quite good at compartmentalizing my personal issues and other parts of my life. there are times when I can't but...at that point, I just can't do a reading for someone in general. at that point, i can't focus enough to even begin to try doing one. those times, best to just wait till a better moment.

yuenyee

I guess it is not the problem of insecurities...but because I was not concentrating in the reading or the questions are not appropriately asked or the client doesn't not have a question bothering him or her but just want to try if tarot can work in any situation.

According to my current experience of being a reader in a school carnival, I cannot get the messages from cards when the band is yelling and banging.
Or, the client was being a skeptic and wanted to test my reading skills.
Or, the client isn't bothered or upset by anything but just trying to squeeze the question out of their brain.

In these three situations, I just can't read anything from the cards.
For the first situation, I take a deep breathe and talk to the client casually see if I can know more about his queries.

For the second one, just told him I cannot figure out anything from the cards and please find another reader.

For the final one, I would say please "rethink" your question and find me later.

Mellifluous

SunChariot said:
Certainly. If you don't feel sure of yourself it will affect almost every area of your life. Reading is a lot about intuition. We feel what things mean and we go with it. Someone who feels insecure or unsure of themselves might doubt what they are feeling.

Eg where a secure reader will sense what the card means and know it's accurate and pass the on to the querent. if you feel insecure, you might sense the meaning and think "I sensed that but what if i was wrong, what if it meant this instead of that..." And by the time you're done you don't know which way is up or what's right or wrong.

To rectify it naturally enough, you have to stop feeling insecure. Much easier said than done of course but it CAN be done.

Very true. I go through phases where none of the cards seem to have any certain or clear meanings at all! Just tons of possibilities. So frustrating. It's usually because something else in life has got me questioning in general, and then later it passes.

SunChariot said:
If you just meant if being insecure in general and not specifically as a reader can effect your readings for others. it still could and pretty well would affect those readings to some extent. Just as people who are pessimistic read VERY differently from people who are very optimistic. As readers we are not likely to see in a card anything that does not mesh with our life views. EG if I personally do not at all believe in reincarnation, I am not going to see reincarnation in someone's reading....even if that is the actual answer that is trying to get to the querent thruogh me. If I don't believe that is possible I will reject that and try to find another meaning. If you feel insecure and the querent's answer that is meant to get to them is about how totally safe we all are in life and nothing can hurt us because we are all so wonderfully protected....if that is the answer that an insecure readere is meant to give to the querent....it likely will not get passed on as such, if the reader cannot beleive that life can be that way.

How do you change that? You'd have to change your life view and that is also easier said than done. It's sometning I personally work on constantly, to beecome more and more positive and uplifting and opitimistic. But that takes work. Changing your life view is work.

Agree with this as well.