candle making

Juniper

it's a pot that you put water in and then it has another pot that fits on top of it and you put the wax in that one so the hot water from under it heats the wax at a lower temp and speed, putting it directly on the flame could burn it.

works to melt chocolate too, just don't use one pot for both tasks!! I have put a bowl over a pot before I bought a double boiler but it's harder and water can get into the top more that way, and for chocolate that's bad.

tabbycat

I used to make multi-coloured candles - you can pour rainbow layers into a star mould for a very pretty candle - and I'd melt the wax in pet-food cans. Take the labels off and wash them out, then you can get 3 or 4 in a big pan of boiling water. Be careful picking them up - you need an oven-glove or pot-holder to stop the burns. Best bit is that you don't need to clean them out afterwards, which I always found a messy job. I'm sure they could go into the recycling with traces of wax on without any problems.

Juniper

thanks for that idea!

Juniper

oh, I just remembered in school we made candles once, we just put them in little paper cups, it makes a great little votive, and a box of them is way less then a metal mold, and you wouldn't need to put any release on the cup, you can rip it off if it doesn't pop out.

a_shikhs

You can put the solid wax in a container and heat under very low gas. The wax will slowly start to melt and become totally liquidy.. But make sure, the gas flame is really low or else your wax will catch fire. then gently and carefully pour the liquid wax in thr candle mould, put the wick and then let it harden for a few hours. Yeah one more thing. Dont forget to grease the mould with oil. This helps in removing the solid wax from the mould.. :)

A double boiler means you first take water in a small container and heat it on the gas. Then you take a slightly big container and put it on the small one which has water in it.. This method is used for melting chocolates so that the choclate does not come in direct contact with the heat..:)

Cielo

a_shikhs said:
A double boiler means you first take water in a small container and heat it on the gas. Then you take a slightly big container and put it on the small one which has water in it.. This method is used for melting chocolates so that the choclate does not come in direct contact with the heat..:)

hehe...yes I figured as much!! I do it with chocolate all the time, though I agree, one should probably not use the same pot for the wax.......how about the wick-thingie..hmmm I don't know where to get any of those....any suggestions for alternatives??? :)

Juniper

Cielo said:
how about the wick-thingie..hmmm I don't know where to get any of those....any suggestions for alternatives??? :)

are you asking for alternatives to wicks? I have never heard of any. They are very cheep and at most craft type stores, and there are online candle supplies sites, just search for "candle making supplies" and the shops online will most likely have beginner kits with instuctions.

a_shikhs

Cielo said:
.......how about the wick-thingie..hmmm I don't know where to get any of those....any suggestions for alternatives???

Well you get ready made candle wicks in the market... But if its difficult for you to find them, then one aternative is that you can use some thick kind of wool/thread for it too.. I used to use that initially.. :) It serves the purpose..

Cielo

Juniper said:
are you asking for alternatives to wicks? I have never heard of any. They are very cheep and at most craft type stores, and there are online candle supplies sites, just search for "candle making supplies" and the shops online will most likely have beginner kits with instuctions.

LOL, thanks so much!! :D I'm just getting overexcited here....good idea, must check for some on-line help here....too bad these things aren't available around here, though!

Cielo

a_shikhs said:
Well you get ready made candle wicks in the market... But if its difficult for you to find them, then one aternative is that you can use some thick kind of wool/thread for it too.. I used to use that initially.. :) It serves the purpose..

haha, in my excitement I almost thought of butchering an already existing boring candle for the purpose....:eek:......perhaps a more rational approach will be better suited............. :D