Card compatibility

grogman

hello all,

Just wondering how you all feel about finding a deck which one feels compatible with? How important is it to have a congruent match with the philosophy, politics and value system of the card's creators with your own value system? Does this influence the efficacy of the readings or how connected one feels to their deck? Seeing that the Mother Earth deck is feminist/goddess oriented, which kinda matches my own leanings, is this something that matters?

Thanks,
John L.

rwcarter

For me, the most important thing about a deck is that the imagery speaks to me. I could care less about (and usually don't know anything about) "the philosophy, politics and value system of the card's creators" matching my own.

I see nothing wrong with a man using a feminist deck (I own a few although I haven't used them yet), a non-African-American using the African American tarot, a non-Samurai using the Samurai tarot, etc.

Rodney

coyalxauhqui

For me, it's just been about trying to find one that "feels" right. The first time I saw Tarot of a Moon Garden images I thought "Oh my gosh this is THE ONE." I finally picked it up on Monday and I've been using it exclusively ever since - I'm still new to tarot so I'm studying several decks as I learn the cards, but when I'm reaching to one for just about any reason these days, it's that one. I think it's maybe what they say about being in love - when you know, you /know/.

Cassandra022

rwcarter said:
For me, the most important thing about a deck is that the imagery speaks to me. I could care less about (and usually don't know anything about) "the philosophy, politics and value system of the card's creators" matching my own.

I see nothing wrong with a man using a feminist deck (I own a few although I haven't used them yet), a non-African-American using the African American tarot, a non-Samurai using the Samurai tarot, etc.

Rodney

I disagree. Clearly, the samurai tarot should be for samurai ONLY.

:p

minrice

grogman said:
hello all,

Just wondering how you all feel about finding a deck which one feels compatible with? How important is it to have a congruent match with the philosophy, politics and value system of the card's creators with your own value system?

To me none of this matters either, as it is the imagery and art that speaks to me. I have bought, traded, sold, given away, many decks over the years and I have found that even IF the deck initially calls to me (online or in a shop), it all comes down to how it feels to me while actually working with it.
I could dream up the "perfect" deck and know everything about (and agree with) its creator on every level, but it's that mysterious X factor for me that will still render a deck unusable for me...and into the trade pile it goes. So even the art and imagery aren't necessarily the deciding factor, let alone the personal life of the creator.

grogman said:
Seeing that the Mother Earth deck is feminist/goddess oriented, which kinda matches my own leanings, is this something that matters?
Ultimately we "do" Tarot for ourselves and no one else. You like what you like, so go for it!

tarotcognito

I agree wholeheartedly with everyone here, i.e. that intuitive connection with the art and imagery, i.e. how it "feels," is what really matters, not the deck creator's philosophy, motives, politics or thoughts about the weather. If a deck's just not "doing it" for you for whatever reason, if something about it throws you off, chances are you won't be entirely satisfied using it and you'll eventually move on to another one. I have at least fifteen decks sitting on my shelf, collecting dust, precisely because they don't "do it" for me.

As with everything else in Tarot, go with what feels right to you, what you connect with. :)

Cerulean

Just thinking...

Oh what fun to think of this question..back later

grogman said:
hello all,

Just wondering how you all feel about finding a deck which one feels compatible with? How important is it to have a congruent match with the philosophy, politics and value system of the card's creators with your own value system? Does this influence the efficacy of the readings or how connected one feels to their deck? Seeing that the Mother Earth deck is feminist/goddess oriented, which kinda matches my own leanings, is this something that matters?

Thanks,
John L.

gregory

Another vote for imagery that speaks. I read well (well, it seems to work) with the Gay Tarot. That shouldn't work for me, if we are to be restricted to our own experience (and I HATE reading with most "feminist" decks, and they should in theory be better than the Gay, for a Granny !)

And as for the Pagan Cats - would I have to grow fur and whiskers ?

tarotcognito

gregory said:
Another vote for imagery that speaks. I read well (well, it seems to work) with the Gay Tarot. That shouldn't work for me, if we are to be restricted to our own experience (and I HATE reading with most "feminist" decks, and they should in theory be better than the Gay, for a Granny !)

And as for the Pagan Cats - would I have to grow fur and whiskers ?
If users of the Samurai deck have to be samurai, then you just answered your own question. ;)

Don't forget the claws, either.

Le Fanu

Interesting question. I tend to think that no, it doesn't matter, but if I'm honest, I tend not to read with decks which are too removed from my experience, simply because there are so many around with which I do identify. For example, I don't identify with the American Indian decks but having said that, the Pentacles (it wasn't Pentacles, something else...) in the Ancestral Path was the suit that most moved me. I adore that suit. Plus over the years many card readers have read with Egyptian decks despite not being pharoahs.

I'm intrigued by the idea of the "philosophy and values system" of a deck. I cannot think of a deck which has a philosophy or values system, but maybe it is the terminology. The visual image should - if it's a good deck - overcome that and reach out to anyone I suppose.

Does the Thoth have a philosophy? To me it scoops up certain things in history and uses them, with a particular slant. Other decks - like the Paulina, the Hudes, off the top of my head - have atmospheres (I'm a great one for believing in atmospheres) and we either identify with the atmosphere or we don't. It moves us or it doesn't, but is that a philosophy?

Some decks I simply cannot make the mental leap - Teen Witch, Crone, Power Animals - yet I suppose if I forced myself, I might get somewhere, but with tarot you shouldn't have to force yourself, there are decks for everyone.