Cards meaning printed on the card + or - ?

WOGIT

I have a few decks some of which have a one word meaning printed on the card. Myself , I dont care much to see a word on my card. I tend to focus to much on that one word rather then the art. Just woundering what some of your thoughts are ?

gollog

Depends on personnal preferences, mine is not to have keywords on them. Keywords kan be helpful when you are starting to learn the cards and their meanings acting as a little support, on the other hand they can hinder inution flowing because you see the meaning given on the card which makes it hard to focus on other meanings you could give to the cards.

Actually, I prefer no writing on cards at all, not even the titels like empress etc. I like my pictures 'plain' so to say, but these are hard to come by.

Apollonia

I hate, hate, HATE keywords on the cards. Not only is it limiting and distracting to have to mentally cancel out what my left brain is telling me about what the word is saying so that I can use my right brain/intuition to accurately read what the card's image is trying to say, but when reading for clients, they read the word and then wonder why my interpretation has nothing to do with it. At this point, I refuse to purchase any deck that has keywords, no matter how beautiful. But I never have minded the card title, I guess because when I turn over the card, my mind automatically names it, and I name it to the client out loud as well.

Emily

I too used to love cards with keywords until I realised that it was the keyword I saw first and not the artwork of the card. I prefer not to see keywords now and I don't buy decks that have them.

chrisam-crystals

nope, no keywords for me either - too distracting.

much prefer to let the cards speak for themselves rather than have words jump into my head from them.

jue xx

Zephyros

It depends, I think, on the deck. for example, on the Thoth, they don't bother me, and I kind of like them. But I think that in other decks it could bother me a little bit.

RubyRuby

My Rider Waite deck has them, and I don't like them at all. When I first got the deck I found them very distracting, but now I don't even look at them. I don't think I would by a deck with them again.

sharpchick

I have never been one to let someone else tell me what to think, so keywords don't bother me much.

Now, wide borders that scrunch the art up so you almost need a magnifying glass to see it drive me crazy, and in some decks, it seems the purpose for the extra 1/2 of paper is to print the keyword(s) in it. But I tend to stay away from those decks anyway.

Sophie

I never used to like them. But working with the Thoth a bit more recently, they've really grown on me. I don't regard them as "meanings" - more as an intrinsic part of the card, like the astrological glyphs. Then you can explore the whole concept around that word, using the image as a springboard.

Vetch

I have an old, cheap pocket edition of Pamela's deck (RWS :) ) which I have coloured a bit. It's really old, I learned with it, and I have written personal keywords on it.
I don't need those anymore, but that deck has aquired a certain kind of magic of its own. it's the deck I carry around and I still use it at times.