Cards picking up my energy?

Eibhlin

I've been trying to read for myself, maybe a little unsuccessfully :( I've been through a hugely emotional time lately and everytime I approach the cards it's all negative, negative, negative. Either I'm in for a hell of a time or somehow my own nervious ball of energy (which I can feel in the pit of my stomach) is affecting my readings? I'm not sure, I'm a complete novice, as may be obvious!

Scorpion

Hi Eibhlin!

Sorry to hear you're going through a rough patch. I firmly believe that the cards pick up energy. I recently read for a husband and wife (separately) who have started a new business venture and something which is totally different from anything they had done before. While the wife's layout reflected all sorts of doubts (which she subsequently confessed she hadn't told her husband) concerning feeding and clothing their two young children, paying the mortgage etc, if the business did not succeed, her husband's spread did not include one negative card. I subsequently discovered that the whole thing was his "baby" and he desperately needed to do it - it was extremely important for him to work for himself - and that his wife had just gone along with it.

So I don't think you need to worry that you're in for a very bad time. After all, all cards can be seen as having a positive and negative aspect - can you try to find the positive in what you're coming up with? Alternatively, why not post your reading here and get someone else to put a different slant on it for you?

MeeWah

Definitely, cards pick up on energy patterns as they mirror or reflect one's consciousness(es). In this way, they tend to echo the prevailing state of being.
The emotional state can & often does influence how one reads or views the cards. It is not always a good idea to read for the self when under duress but there are no fixed rules as to the approach. As with much of anything else regarding the practice of readings, it depends upon the reader.
Aside from what you are currently experiencing, your cards may need a thorough cleansing to neutralize any previous use which may be clouding the results. It is why cleansing a deck by thorough shuffling or other means is recommended highly so that the energies from any previous use do not linger.
The process of shuffling can be a calming, comforting influence & can aid the focus. Try spending a few minutes just shuffling them, without directing any energy to them other than the idea of clearing them. You might also consider giving your cards a break for now, & returning to them when you feel more at ease. Or have someone else read for you.

faunabay

Meewah touched on this also, but one thing you might want to keep in mind is your state of mind not only affects the cards it affects your LIFE! I truly believe it affects the cards BECAUSE it affects your life.
LouiQ's husband and wife readings are a great example of this. The wife had doubts to begin with so of course she got negative cards - if it was only up to her, the business probably wouldn't succeed either - her doubts would ruin it. But the husband put good thoughts and energy into the business so of course he got positive cards - hopefully his positive thoughts will outweigh his wife's negativity.
Looking at it this way has a positive angle also. IMO you can change your life for the better with your thoughts. So if I get a spread filled with negative cards I see what I can change with my thoughts first, then actions will follow. This is just the way I do it. Of course others may have different opinions but this works and makes sense for me.

Ginny

I would suggest doing a "cleansing" of yourself and the cards. Take your cards and put them outside in the sunshine. Meanwhile, do a meditation of self protection and peace and then take a "ritual" bath or shower to symbolize throwing off old patterns and thought processes that no longer serve you. Then, take a break from the cards for a few days, while you eat fresh foods,drink lots of water and get plenty of rest. Then take back your cards, sleep with them wrapped in silk under your pillow for three nights, and then do a reading. This is just what has worked for me.

Pollux

I'm with Meewah and Ginny!
Cleansing is a touchstone for such times - let me tell you: I'm in oneof those myself, Meewah and others know.
But there's something I'm sort of compelled by: not eating meat, junk food and the like.
I feel it really helps: to eat fresh fruit (how tasty! and I pick them all from the trees in my family's garden! :) ) and greens in every way!
I regain the connection to nature, to Gaia, to the Goddess. (I'm exaggerating! ;p ).
Really, i feel the power of vegetables inside! And it keeps me so alive and active!
P.S. Maybe that's better explained with the sense of hunger! ;p

Pollux

And, to say, faunabay has it!!!
It's obvious, feels conditionate life, future conditionates cards!

divinerguy

While I also believe that cards may pick up energies from those who handle them, I also believe that with time, such energies dissipate. Unless there is some traumatic event associated with the cards, eventually, cards should be influence free.

I believe that all energy is subject to this type of dissipation and is well stated in physical laws of conservation of energy.

That's one reason why I don't have much of a problem with obtaining used cards. They've sat in a case for a period of time, and presumably, the energies tranferred to their display cases, and ultimately, back to the earth.

Gary

MeeWah

Ginny: The cleansing of self is a very valid point & beneficial anytime. Also the grounding & centering of the self with relaxation techniques or with meditation.
Divinerguy: Also a good point about energy dissipating over time which is why I have no problem with acquiring used cards in good condition.