Keep getting the devil card

Ashma

Hi I am Ashma

Please can some one help I keep getting the devil card in the 6th position of the Celtic Cross unsure if this means temptation to come or sexual bondage to someone in my future.

Thanks for any help in advance
Ashma

amyel

Ashma, there are some variations to the Celtic cross. And, the Devil is not just about sex and temptations, so it might be helpful to know the other cards and their positions, too.

Could you please identify in your variant of the CC what position 6 indicates?

P.S. It would be good to know what deck you are using. Some have special interpretations....

divinerguy

While bondage is a mainstream meaning for the Devil, I see a strong secondary meaning being the antithesis of love.

Here's why. Look at the Rider-Waite Lovers card and the Devil card. In both cards, a supernatural figure stands between a man and a woman. The meaning of the lovers is obvious. But if the Devil is the antithesis of good (or God if you wish), then it stands to reason that he's contrary to the analogous Lovers card.

The Devil is a manifestation of Christianity, and should be viewed in that context. Further, accept for a moment the Christian premise that God is love. If the Devil is the antithesis of God, then he stands for the absence of love.

Just a theory.

Gary

Scorpion

Hi, Ashma!

As Amyel points out, there are different ways of looking at the Devil - in the Osho Zen deck it's relabelled as "Conditioning" with the indication that it's time to "break free" and the Voyager has it as "Devil's Play", a pointer not to take things too seriously. So yes, an overall look at the spread would be helpful.

Gary, very interesting point. I am of the view that Christianity demonised the old pagan nature god because that was the only way it could deal with it - it was, after all, the major enemy. I also see the Devil as the absence of love, or light (as in Lucifer), or maybe as love turned in on itself.

Pollux

To what's said, I had the meaning of
MATERIALISM, FATALISM, UNCOSCIOUSNESS
In a "standard" (not that much...) 6th - near future, right? - it might suggest your approacj to things will be increasingly negative, strained, with you having difficulties to focus on plans, projects, relationships...
Yet, it all falls in the GENERAL PANACEA BULL**IT if you won't specificate.
Including the other cards in the layout may help a lot too, IMHO.

Thirteen

Ashma (25 Jan, 2002 11:13):
Hi I am Ashma

Please can some one help I keep getting the devil card in the 6th position of the Celtic Cross unsure if this means temptation to come or sexual bondage to someone in my future.

Thanks for any help in advance
Ashma

If you *KEEP* getting it, then likely the message is far simpler. You need to clean your deck :) Sometimes your deck gives a clue to you when it needs refreshing. A reoccuring devil card might indicate that the deck is "stuck."

MeeWah

All good thoughts on this, everyone!
It would be helpful to know the rest of the cards & their positions to avoid reading the card out of the context of the throw.