Cards That Could Represent Possible Drug Use

shotthebreeze

Odd question, but I have a feeling a friend of mine was into drugs at one point. I pulled the Tower (RX) and I was wondering if that could be a possible sign? Does anyone know of any cards that could represent that?

The crowned one

Sure, the devil. Moon Rx. Perhaps 7 and 9 of cups. But the tower Rx is pretty clearly a refusal to see the truth, not drug use in my opinion.

Reverie

Seen it come up as the 7 of cups and the Devil in the past...

Come to think of it, I've never had the 6 of pentacles specifically referring to drug use-- but I wonder if the difference in power could indicate a drug dealer relationship... With the beggars and the provider...

Would be interested in hearing other's thoughts.

thorhammer

I once got a Page of Swords (Lunatic Tarot) which made me wonder if this could be an issue. It was a "possible outcome" or "warning" card, and in the reading I didn't articulate the possible drug use, just cautioned keeping an eye on the person indicated. It might be the deck choice, too, which brings these things out.

\m/ Kat

willowfox

The Devil upright shows addiction.

Other cards; 7 cups, maybe Page Cups Rx, 3 cups Rx for an alcoholic, 9 cups Rx, perhaps Knight Cups Rx.

Tower shows no addiction either way.

Niti

There are many cards that could indicate drug use. Different cards for different drugs, different scenarios, different intensities....so much of it is the feeling you get when you look at the card.

Additionally, I don't actually believe it's right to read cards to discover your friend's past without him knowing. If he has used drugs in his past and has chosen not to tell you, that's up to him. It is not your place to be delving into a past he has chosen not to reveal to you.

That said, I find these questions interesting as a way for me to study my cards, so offhand, here is what I have come up with. Hopefully, it won't be used for ill.

For addiction:

The Lovers - So many people have a love/hate relationship with their drugs. It makes them feel loved and lovely and powerful in a way that few things (if anything else) ever can. They cling to it for hope, feeling, and euphoria in those fleeting moments. It is their lover, in substance if not in physical human form. But the Lovers is about choice as much as love. Every time an addict picks up their drug again, they make a conscious choice. When people are addicted, they often know the consequences of their drug use, but they don't care. The need, the addiction blinds them. If you are seeing an unhealthy aspect in The Lovers card when you read about drug use, it could be indicating addiction.

The Devil - Also so much about addiction. I often think The Devil and The Lovers are incredibly similar. In The Lovers, the person makes the conscious choice to take a drug because they love the feeling. But I think in The Devil, they feel that it is beyond their control. They really want to stop, they know it's harming them and it's gone too far, but they find themselves coming back to the drug again and again. While both The Lovers and The Devil can be about addiction, The Devil might be a more severe or realized addiction. In The Devil, the person wants to escape from it, but in The Lovers, they still haven't admitted that it's such a problem.

The 7 of Cups - This card tends to come up when someone can't stop thinking about something, or isn't accepting reality. Therefore, it could be about their obsession and need for the drug, or their inability to accept that they have a problem. However, this card could be more about experimentation (with lighter drugs or hallucinogens) rather than actual addiction. Alternatively, because a lot of former addicts say they never fully "overcome" the craving, this card could indicate the fantasies they occasionally have about returning to the drug, or withdrawal shortly after quitting a drug.

9 of Swords -- More about someone trying to overcome addiction. They are trying to cut the drug out of their life, but it's all they can think about. They can't sleep, they can't concentrate on anything, they feel guilty and know it's bad and wonder if they've ruined their lives...but they are fighting it. Moping around and feeling miserable, perhaps, but refraining.

The Tower - Upright, I could see this card as representative of someone going cold turkey on an addiction. It's probably the most sudden and shocking way to get off a drug, but some people think it's best that way. Like ripping a band-aid right off.

The 7 of Wands -- This person may have had some bad habits and mild addictions, but he has decided he is above it and strong enough to fight it off. This is more likely in someone who has only experimented a few times, but doesn't like the path he is going down. I don't think anyone who has gotten into the depths of an addiction would be able to fight it off this way early on.

Other drug scenarios:

The King of Chalices (reversed) -- I could see this as someone who still occasionally indulges in their drug of choice.

The Moon -- Experimentation with hallucinogens or other mild drugs for the rush and experience, but not representative of addiction or common usage.

10 of Swords -- Possible overdose at some point. (Remember, overdoes doesn't always mean death.)

I could see The Magician as representative of a drug dealer, and the 6 of Pentacles as a dealer/user relationship.

wytchwood

Some good ideas so far for possible cards...I would add the 4 of cups or indeed a large amount of cups in a spread as a possible indicator, and the 10 of wands as an addiction. I agree with the person who said it has a lot to do with how you feel when you see the card, so whilst I wouldn't necessarily equate the Tower with drug use, if you felt this when you saw it then maybe. I think the Tower could indicate a crisis point for a drug user- for example, an addict could be wondering around in their own world for some considerable time, not realizing the impact of what they are doing, until- boom!- something happens to wake them from their dream. It could be that they finally wear out an important relationship, or that they have or cause an accident due to carelessness, or that they get caught, or have an overdose as someone else suggested.

I think the term 'drug use' is a very vague one. There is a big difference between someone who experiments with hallucinogens or takes E at the weekends and a heroin addict, and then again a coke addict who functions in their everyday life hanging on a thread. What kind of drug use did you suspect your friend of? Are you worried?

Zoe xx

shadowedge

I agree with what has been said, about numerous cards being able to paint the same idea.

In my deck for example - 6 of pents shows a scene straight out of Sodom and Gomorrah. Womanizing, Wild Partying.. over indulgence. Or 9 of cups, which tells me that something is being decietfully hidden from view.

Although these are deck specific examples, more often than not your instincts are right. It is usually for this reason that the tarot will show you a card that will provoke those thoughts, snippet messages from the universe.

Love and Peace!

J

Arcana XV

Lots of good suggestions.

For me, definitely the Devil (addiction), the Eight of Swords (loss of control over own will) and Nine of Swords (self inflicted harm), especially when drawn with the Four of Cups (over-indulgence) and Seven of Cups (too many temptations which can turn into addiction).

Skysteel

shotthebreeze said:
Odd question, but I have a feeling a friend of mine was into drugs at one point. I pulled the Tower (RX) and I was wondering if that could be a possible sign? Does anyone know of any cards that could represent that?

Eight of Cups:

43.jpg