Cards you *still* don't get!

PentQueen

I agree that Temperence is a conflicting card. But I generally think it represents stepping back from a previous position or remaining calm within a difficult situation...treading carefully, basically.

Justice to me, is mental strength, emotional balance, leading to honesty and ethical practice. It's the ability to think clearly--without clouds, and to instinctively see and do the right thing.

I think my tough card is Death. It never actually feels as powerful as I estimate it will. When it's over, I'm usually like: 'was that all'? In my learning, I usually associate cards with meditative experiences/energies that I've felt when the cards are present in my life, and this one never resonates much with me...the experience is never really that 'memorable'...which seems so ironic to me. The death to me, feels a lot quieter than I would estimate it would. Does this make any sense?

Thirteen

star-lover said:
:D I love this particular image. The guy looks like a bullfighter about to pick up his weapon, or a dualist ready to chose a stick and dual. Or, as said, someone about to walk through a doorway. His stance is very bold, even fiery and a little humorous in its confidence. That's wands all right.

I think, when we say "choice" with Wands, we have to remember that it's not like the Lovers which takes you off one path onto another, maybe ripping you out of the life you knew. This is only a "two" card. So you haven't even started on a path. Try this: think of the 2/wands as an artist with a powerful image in his head that he really, really wants to get started on. He's chewing at the bit. But which medium is he going to use to put that image onto paper? A sketch pencil (meaning that he'll have to eventually ink and color the picture)? Or a paintbrush, which is going to be more freeform, but colored right from the start? One wand to one side, one to the other.

This wand he chooses is going to make that image in his head real, but also change that image because it's a certain medium that offers a certain look to things and has certain limitations. But, at 2/wands, our artist probably isn't thinking about that (unlike the Lovers, where the repercussions of that choice are considered and accepted). This is wands. The artist is eager to get started, and while he may hesitate a moment, hand wavering over pencil or paintbrush, he's going to grab one up pretty quickly and get to work--never looking back (or if he does look back, it'll be much later, like when he's at 5/wands and sees that every other artist has a painting, and wishes he'd used pencil and ink, because that would be different).

Perhaps the best word isn't choice but impulse. That decision we all make, almost without thought, to step through a doorway.

star-lover

thank you very much thirteen, i kind of get it more now, bit of an edgy, do or die card, no time to waste, seize the day etc

yeah the picture on this deck - he looks a bit of a bumbling idiot or a cocky rooster :D

Nisha

Two of wands was a tough one for me too. I finally made sense of it though. I imagine an inventor who has an idea of something and he knows there is a potential for it to succeed, as shown in the Ace, and now he has to decide whether he should still keep it under wraps and work on it a little more or reveal/share it with the rest of the world. He has to carefully weigh the risk to reward ratio of both options. In many ways it is about whether you want to expand your horizons or simply keep things closer to home.

Other cards that give me difficulty are The Moon, 5 of Swords and the Court cards depending on their context. Of course, with the tarot I often feel the more I learn, the less I know. :D

Sinduction

Mine is the 5 and 7 of swords. I hate those cards. :D

Actually, I could name at least two cards of each suit that do it to me. I'm good with the majors though.

GypsyHeart

I have a lot of the same trouble spots.

2 and 3 of Wands
5 and 7 of Swords
The Moon
The Sun (I can never think of much to say about it except, "oh, look it's all happy and lovely.")
The World

Oh, and we can just all add the court cards to that list for me.

scorpio-eagle43

oh god! where to start, theres so many cards with umpteen different meanings that im not sure i have them right in my head,

the world
judgement
courts- these are a nightmare

5 of swords, im happy with this! it usually comes up in relationship or job spreads. and i take it to mean no- win situations, no one looks happy in this card, relationships where they dont talk to each other and cant see the other persons upset , jobs where theres a lot of bitchiness that sort of thing. usually cards following this are no better, it often doesnt improve, like banging your head against a brick wall

moon, confusion and distorted views, sometimes it mean a delay- when the sun comes up in the morning up can see more clearly

blackroseivy

star-lover said:
judgement is a release card - letting go, not consciously but its like a weight has been removed off your shoulders and not suffering any more, relief finally from ongoing struggle of anykind, and a clean slate to start over with

yes rosie will do that game shortly once i flesh it out in my mind bit more :D

Thanx for that - very helpful, & FABBO! :D

Nisha

scorpio-eagle43 said:
moon, confusion and distorted views, sometimes it mean a delay- when the sun comes up in the morning up can see more clearly

Then my confused reaction to the Moon card makes perfect sense. ;)

Lula Jing

2 wands

Often has me stumped too...

I have a great book called Tarot Cards (Jane Lyle) which sometimes gives me a different angle...

2 Wands: Balanced enterprise and power

Regular meanings...

- Successful and prosperous partnership
- Meeting of minds
- Friendship through work
- Powerful business man/woman
- In charge of company or team
- Achieved great career success
- Influential
- Well-respected

Something different...

- Favourable buying/selling negotiations (especially to do with property)
- Contracts get signed without a hitch
- Deals work out in your favour
- You may make more money than you were expecting

I guess if this comes out with 10 of Pents you're definately on to a winner! :D