Cat's Eye Tarot

sapienza

Thanks for that. I do think I'm going to have to get this deck, my daugther saw the Six of Cups and assumed it was our kittens. We've decided to call them Meg and Mog after the children's book characters. They'll be coming to live with us in four weeks and we are VERY excited. Ok, will stop gushing now. :)

Aeric

I haven't bought your deck yet, but I've been searching for a cat deck that resonates since I started doing Tarot again after years. I'm not a fan of anthropomorphized cats, which many kitty decks use. I enjoy seeing how people graft animals' natural behaviour into the Tarot system, and a vet's opinion is extremely helpful!

My usual favourite card is the Ace of Swords and I LOVE how your aces are both Tarot corresponding and perfectly conducive to the message. Go kitty, show em who's boss!

catdoc

Cats make a house a home...

I'm seriously considering getting myself a copy of this deck. I've never owned a 'cat' tarot before but we are about to adopt two little kittens who look almost exactly the same as the pair on the Six of Cups. How could I not get it? :)

Your kittens could have posed for the painting of the Six of Cups :). Hopefully you will enjoy the Cat's Eye Tarot as as much as you will enjoy your new kittens.

sapienza

Thanks catdoc. :)

seven stars

Oh my god, you started this YEARS & years ago didn't you? Was this you? I know it had to be you. I remember geez, it must have been over 7 years ago (more? less?) seeing this Cat tarot on a website somewhere, and there were only a few cards finished at the time, but they stuck in my mind, because anyone who has cats knows who these cats are. It was the Fool card & a couple of others, trying to remember. I have thought about your deck for years wondering if you ever finished it. When I go to shops, I usually look for it & only find the cat decks where all the cats are like little dressed up humans. I have looked online for a long time, hoping it would get finished some day, & here you are! Seriously, this is so 'not' my style when it comes to Tarot decks but I really relate with cats (I only have ONE) & I'll have to get this now that you've finally got it published. Lovely job painting the cats & the whole concept of the deck is terrific. (& I'm sorry I just must have not been looking when it came out!)

Darkmage

I really really need to pick up this deck. I'm a cat lover--I'm not supposed to have them because I'm allergic to everything with fur and feathers, but I'm tolerant to cats.

So far from what I've seen, this entire deck is beautiful. It's been on my Amazon wish list for quite some time and I really need to get a copy.

...just sayin'...

Nightflyer0ne

Just checked this deck out, and it is definitely going on my wish list! I love the art!

catdoc

Oh my god, you started this YEARS & years ago didn't you? Was this you? I know it had to be you.

That sounds like me. The idea of creating a deck came to me when I was a member of the MSN Tarot for Beginners community (which was started by a group attending Barnes and Nobel's online "university" class taught by Joan Bunning). I began painting the cards Spring 2001 and finished in 2010. I posted most of the images and card description on the Tarot For Life online community and later on Aeclectic. Thanks to a push from members of this community US Games took a look at the deck and decided to publish. It was released the end of October 2011.

Obsydian

Oh no, another deck I need!
The art looks so pretty and cat decks resonate best for me.

seven stars

I just got the deck.

It's going to be difficult making this a "post" & not a novel.

OK, to start out with, on the level of being a useable deck: 10 out of 10. You've got your RWS mindset, but this deck goes that 'one step beyond' that - the booklet that goes with it really relates the feel of the cards with intuitive definitions. Anyone who likes cats will be able to relate with the feel of each card. I've never actually wanted to go through and read about every single card so much as with this deck. I like that the titles are on the cards but she didn't find it necessary to draw all the typical symbolism & a bunch of individual swords & cups & wands, etc - what was important was the definition of the card. Like that a lot.

On the level of artistic integrity: Actual individual paintings? another 10 out of 10. No cut & paste photoshop here. No photographs. She said this took her 10 years to finish painting 78 images - I can totally relate. Coming up with the composition & feel of 78 concepts like this is a pain in the arse to get through & not become bored & quitting at some point. I started myself to do a similar deck (never finished) called the Deck of the Child - with all the same sorts of situations children get into, for people who relate more intuitively with children - like this is for people who "get" cats. And I don't think at all that this is a deck only for people obsessed with cats - these are all just very lovely paintings and not 'kitchy' like a freaking Thomas Kincade or something. There is an innocence about them, but not to the point of seeming amature by any means, it's just not a dark deck. You know what? Sometimes that's kinda nice. I like that. I love a good old mysterious spooky haunting deck but not ALL the time.

On the level of it's value to the Tarot World: The only reason I would give it 9 out of 10 & not 10 out of 10 is it's not a deck that all other decks will copy in the future & draw from like a Rider Waite or Lenormand or something but I'm pretty certain that revolutionizing the Tarot World was not the intent anyway.

As for physical deck quality, I don't think the artist had anything to do with this but it's very slippery smooth high gloss which is a little more difficult for me personally - I feel like they're trying to slip away from me. I've never been nuts about borders & fonts I've seen on so many USG's cards & they just ever so slightly detract from the coolness of the artwork & overall deck. The cat face on the cardback is just kinda fun, although because I read reversals my favorite cardbacks make it so you can't tell reversals from upright cards but that's ok, it's still a very sweet defining back, IMO. And it comes with a BOX!

I'm not a collector of decks. I've had people before offer to trade me some pretty cool decks & I'm just not into deck collecting, but I have to say I'm really going to cherish this one deck & I absolutely love it. I want to spend time with it & get to know it & read the entire booklet. It would be a wonderful deck to give someone new to Tarot - a way for people to get the knack for understanding what the cards are all about & how they relate to people's circumstances. If I ever complete a set of paintings half this good I'll be on top of the world, this is a real inspiration for me. I am so happy to have this deck. I saw it got some high rating from AT when it came out, which was before I joined AT, but, it's not surprising to me - I'm in absolute agreement & think this should be considered one of the best decks ever.