Changes are a coming

cirom

Depending which of the various theories you choose to agree with for the origins of tarot, One common point of agreement at least is its been around for quite some time. For around 600 years the various images of tarot have been reproduced on card from game playing amusement to divination.

During that same period we have seen variations and modification on the imagery based on personal artistic presence, expediency, beliefs and hypothesis of leading individuals from Tarot's rich past. This evolution has been accompanied over the centuries with leading protagonists of their day pontificating the pros and cons of one system, style, order over another. A dubious tradition that is enthusiastically maintained here on Aeclectic.

There were also significant developments during that history that stand out.

The RWS and its illustrated minors is clearly one of them. Crowley's Thoth is another.

Then the pelaton that followed (to use a cycling analogy), the flood of variations of the last 30 years that have inundated the market. Between them covering a seemingly infinite variety of themes, styles, shapes and approaches.

And so to my point.... YOU AINST SEEN NOTHING YET.

I believe we are at another turning point. And as with all changes, these will be embraced by some and horrify others.

There are two particular issues that will contribute to this change. The Digital medium and the increasingly available options for publishing on demand.

In terms of the digital medium. On line reading, reading software, mobile phones applications come to mind. I'm sure that many abhore the notion and feel it removes a core ingredient of the tarot experience, namely the face to face human interaction between, the Reader, the physical touchy feely physical deck and the Querant. And i tend to agree ..... even though I'm guilty of embracing it in my own projects by producing animated cards video etc, so full disclosure on that score. Nevertheless there is no denying that for example a phone application can provide the convenience of being able to do a reading at some level where using a real deck would be inappropriate, or simply impractical. Wether you like the idea or not I predict that within a few years the majority of the tarot community will be "carrying" on their phone not one but several virtual decks.

The issue of publishing on demand is relatively new but will also have a significant influence. As of now any budding deck creator with aspirations of have their creative babies published have the very very low odds of being accepted by any major publisher, or the option of self publishing which up until now has meant a significant financial investment and accompanying risk of possibly having a garage of unsold inventory.

The tarot market is already difficult, to have any realistic expectation of volume you are pretty much obliged to produce a deck with broad appeal and even then its iffy. Just read the posts here to get a feel of how its impossible to keep everyone happy. Large size cards or small, borders or no, too pretty, too detailed, too shallow, too whatever, good lord its like catering to Goldilocks on a bad hair day. So you can imaging how difficult for any decks that are specifically themed. Sure a deck about hedgehogs or whatever will certainly have great appeal to somebody out there, but in the grand scheme of things..... well you get the point.

However via the print on demand and digital media, such specialized decks do become viable. That is a good thing using my analogy of the hedgehogs deck. Both for its creator and anyone out there that share that specific interest.

But it also has a potential danger of muddying the water still further. With so many variations and experimentation which will surely follow, standards will vary, the very definition of Tarot which is already undefined will be further tested. Will this expansion embrace and convert a wider audience, or confuse the genre so much that its core fabric and rich heritage is weakened?

Clearly the decks released by the publishers will still be the most successful by the criteria of numbers sold as they will have the extra exposure, distribution and retail shelf presence. But that market pie will be increasing nibbled away at by the multitude of alternative options. The publishers who ignore this will do so at their peril.
Other than possibly the upcoming Gaian or Shadowscapes decks, I personally doubt that there will be any more big hit decks in the future. There will be simply too much choice. As I mentioned earlier, this is good from the creative perspective, but it will raise some serious overall challenges to the "business" of tarot.

Well thats my little Nostradamus act for the day..... Welcome to the future..... as I see it.

shamoness

I agree that Virtual Decks will definitely be widely used in the future. Certainly there are apps available currently for that purpose for iphones and ipods. This tendency is a natural consequence of our technolgy based society. I believe it to be a good thing for those who desire the portability of such things. Kindle and Nook are converting the reading experience of thousands and many enjoy this. I for one prefer the smell and feel of a book in my hands. Likewise I enjoy the tactile experience of shuffling physical cards. My readings are not just based on my visual experience but the physical as well. So while the Virtual decks will be a good thing for artists who want to publish their work but are limited by funding or other obstacles, my preference will remain with the physical deck.

By the way, I enjoy your virtual additions to the tarot experience and am glad to have them. They are "gravy' for my tarot meal. I find it nice to have but not imperrative to enjoy your wonderful decks.

Sinduction

I am waiting for a holographic deck as well as an animated one. I'd like to see the 6 of Swords rowing away! :D

Demon Goddess

Sinduction... Do you mean a computerized 3-D version of Transparent Tarot, perhaps?

Sinduction

Like a normal deck with a mini chip in each card. It would just magically work. :D

I do think a holographic deck would be totally do-able though, I've seen trading cards that are holographic.

Briar Rose

cirom said:
Other than possibly the upcoming Gaian or Shadowscapes decks, I personally doubt that there will be any more big hit decks in the future. There will be simply too much choice. As I mentioned earlier, this is good from the creative perspective, but it will raise some serious overall challenges to the "business" of tarot.

QUOTE]

All artists feel this way at one time or another, and then bang...somebody comes up with something great, again!

I know you gave these 2 decks as examples, Shadowscapes and Gaian, but there are a few others out there that I feel are going to be really great like, the Alice In Wonderland deck by MRP, and Silver Era. Aunia did some amazing things with color. It looks like it has a charm to it. And then there's the The Magna Veritas from BoltCutter Designs. I feel this person did it for the love of tarot, and not the money. The 2 other decks sold out in a couple of days. Oh, then there is Patrick Valenza's new and exciting deck. That will be a big hit for sure.

Everytime you think something is exhausted there is a new kid on the block that is watching you and coming up with something really grand!

And for the future, we may not see it, but eventually there will be somebody that is going to invent a tarot deck when computers are like holograms. And those cards are going to come alive for us, and talk to us, on the new designed computers. It won't be a looking like a flat screen.
And I believe that is when the business is going to take a different turn. However, people will still love the chic Bohemian looking card reader they can sit across from. :heart:

sapienza

Some interesting ideas to think about cirom. I can't imagine ever doing readings on my phone but I completely expect that people will be any day now. :)

Briar Rose said:
All artists feel this way at one time or another, and then bang...somebody comes up with something great, again!

I know you gave these 2 decks as examples, Shadowscapes and Gaian, but there are a few others out there that I feel are going to be really great like, the Alice In Wonderland deck by MRP, and Silver Era. Aunia did some amazing things with color. It looks like it has a charm to it. And then there's the The Magna Veritas from BoltCutter Designs. I feel this person did it for the love of tarot, and not the money. The 2 other decks sold out in a couple of days. Oh, then there is Patrick Valenza's new and exciting deck. That will be a big hit for sure.

Everytime you think something is exhausted there is a new kid on the block that is watching you and coming up with something really grand!

Yes, but I wonder how many of these decks will outlive their creators? In our current consumer culture things only seem to be a 'big hit' for such a short time and then we move on to the next 'big hit'. While I believe there will be all sorts of interesting, and even amazing, decks to come out in the future, I think cirom is right....BIG hits, ones that stand the test of time, might be a thing of the past. I really can't think of any modern decks that are likely to still be around 100 years from now. That's not to say that there are not modern decks that are worthy of being around that long, I just think that current consumers don't have the kind of attention span required for that type of longevity. I hope that doesn't sound offensive as it's not meant to be, it's just the culture we currently exist in.

Briar Rose

I know what you mean. Isn't that sad though? It's true!!!

I always try to remain optimistic. It helps me feel better about the current state of affrairs.

thorhammer

I wanna see a computer algorithm that will calculate the scenario put forward by the cards in terms of the question and current situation (GIGO must be remembered) and then project a likely course of events, a moving picture of behavious, cause and effect . . . oh, wait.

Isn't that what they call Life?

\m/ Kat

romanticdreamz

I have to agree with the attention span connected to today's instant gratification culture becoming less and less. From one to the other really. I think I'm still trying to fight it with some of my goal/resolutions this year by writing more letters and postcards etc, using the tarot cards more often, not buying any more decks (one can hope) and just focus on those I have and give them the attention they deserve and generally just sticking to more "old school" experiences without the modern day technology and culture taking over my existence.

I refuse to buy any tarot app or game solely for card use. (Although I refuse to buy the iPhone anyway!)