Choosing which deck, and when

csdude

This question was inspired by the thread, "How many?"

For those of you that like to have multiple decks, how do you determine which deck to use for a spread? Is it just whichever deck is handy, or do you have a specific deck for yourself, another for others, another for bedtime, etc?

I have the one deck that I mostly use for myself. I rarely read for others, but I'm seriously thinking about getting a second deck for others, just in case. I really don't like other people touching my deck!

Essence of Winter

This question was inspired by the thread, "How many?"

For those of you that like to have multiple decks, how do you determine which deck to use for a spread? Is it just whichever deck is handy, or do you have a specific deck for yourself, another for others, another for bedtime, etc?

I have the one deck that I mostly use for myself. I rarely read for others, but I'm seriously thinking about getting a second deck for others, just in case. I really don't like other people touching my deck!

I tend to use whichever deck I feel drawn to at the time, but I tend to use the Thoth tarot for areas that involve interactions on a psychological or emotional/energetic level.

Miss Divine

It mostly has to do with the mood I'm in. Most decks I have are for all-round reading decks so it has little to do with that.
There are times I want a blunt answer, and other times I need some gentle guidance.

Calcifer

I'm primarily using The Wild Unknown and the PCS Commemorative decks. It doesn't really matter, but often I'll use the Wild Unknown for internal/spiritual issues, and the PCS for external/material issues...
Just because...lol.

Michael

ana luisa

This is such a great question! I have more than two decks and honestly, I feel like there are some that do not get used/touched/loved enough. I have the hardest time choosing; so much so that I ask the sitter to pick one for me :) Having said that, when I need a no-bulls answer, I get my Thoth. It has no mercy whatsoever...
With time you will invariably notice that some decks allow for more psychological readings while others are more "down-to-earth", etc. Some are sweeter in their message while others just deliver say it like it is. If you only have one, two won't cause you too much trouble !

JackofWands

Some of my decks don't have illustrated pips, so I tend to reserve those less querent-friendly decks for my personal use. Among the others, I choose the one that I think has the best imagery for a particular querent and query. Someone with a complex, multilayered personality is unlikely to get a reading with the Tarot Nova, and someone who seems quiet and reserved will more likely have their reading performed with the Shadowscapes Tarot than with the Tarot Illuminati.

However, that said, I have tragically few decks, and it's relatively easy to navigate between them. I can imagine that Tarot readers with dozens of decks would probably have a much larger choice to face.

Audelia

When choosing a deck, I go to my collection and ask "Who wants to work with me today?" If I'm reading for others, a deck will usually immediately come to mind, so I'll work with that one. Lately my beloved RWS has been doing all the hard graft when it comes to reading for others :)

When it comes to reading for myself, I've fallen in love with the Wild Unknown. So far I've only done readings for myself with that deck and I imagine I'll keep it that way. For me it's a really subjective deck and I feel as though it lets me delve a lot deeper.

Padma

It always depends on the question I am asking. For instance, if I need to know about people and their motives, I tend to choose Kat Black' Touchstone, which features people in every card looking out straight at you. Or the Hidden Realm, which is also good at that. The Prague is good at very sarcastic and direct truths, the Morgan-Greer at just plain truth with no agenda or mood attached to it, and the Connolly is soothing, and nice for reading for other or more timid people. Illuminati is great for one or two card readings, cause of all the details and colours.

Dunno. I guess I always use the questions to be asked, or the topics covered, to guide me in to choosing the deck.

MysticMoonlight

Druidcraft, Morgan-Greer, and Tarot Illuminati are my go-to for direct, reliable, accurate, blunt answers and insight. They tell me what I need to know without "padding". Straight and to the point, even if it stings, there's no guess work. I use these when I'm needing the specifics regarding just about anything.

Crystal Visions and The Llewellyn Tarot are my more "gentle" message decks. They are still spot-on accurate for me but their messages seem to carry a comforting, softer feel. I use these when I'm needing general guidance/insight.

Disa

I have about 5 "go to" decks. The ones I use over and over if I'm doing online readings.

I use the Victorian Romantic mostly for people I know who are very sensitive and I often use this deck for relationship questions.

When I'm reading for men or about financial stuff, I often use the Hudes or the Legacy of the Divine.

The Morgan Greer is a new deck for me, though I've used it the past few months for every question and every person.

The Hanson Roberts is a trusty deck I can use anytime for anything when nothing else feels right.

When I do face to face readings outside of my home, I always let the sitter chose from any of the above, and I take along these others-the Buckland Romani, The Pamela Coleman Smith Commerative Deck, DruidCraft, and then I'll toss in whichever new deck I have at the time that I haven't worked with just in case they are drawn to that one.

If people come to my home for a reading, I just use whatever is handy and I feel drawn to-I have a Victorian Romantic, a Deck of the Bastard, and a Bohemian Gothic in the living room on a permanent basis. A couple of misc, decks stashed in the coffee table drawer. In the dining room a Housewives Tarot and a mini Victorian Romantic have permanent spots. If those don't feel right, of course I have a Hanson Roberts in my purse at all given times. Otherwise, I can go downstairs and pick a few more out for them to look through and see what they like.

I guess I just go with the question and how the situation feels at that moment and go from there. If I find the same sitter is drawn to the same deck over and over and it works for them, I always make sure to have it with me when I read for them, but also others to offer a choice.