Cigarette smoke in Tarot decks

Nomdeplume

I've quit smoking and I was wondering if anyone knew how to get the smell of cigarette smoke out of my tarot decks? It's very noticeable. Thanks!

Nomdeplume

agent199

Sage perhaps.

Padma

Try putting them in a drawer with anti-static dryer sheets for a few days, (make sure you *really* like the smell of the dryer sheets!) or put them in a bag full of baking soda for a few days, then wipe off the baking soda with a soft dry cloth...alternatively, if weather permits where you live, (i.e. a temperate zone, with no rain, high winds or snow expected currently) leave them outdoors for a day or two to air in a protected place.

I think the most natural and protected way to do it would be to just open the boxes, lay the cards out on a table in an unused space, open the window, and close the door. A few days like that in a smoke-smell-free room should take the odor away.

Alternatively, store them (opened and spread on a blanket) in a cedar chest.

PS congrats on your continued success of leaving the smoke behind! :D

Nomdeplume

Thanks to both of you for your responses!

I'll try the dryer sheet tonight. If that doesn't work, I'll move on to baking soda. I've already tried leaving them in a room with the window open and the door closed, but the house became too cold.

Amsonia

Also, you could try filling a bowl with white or cider vinegar and putting it in an enclosed cupboard or something with the deck. I have used vinegar to absorb odors around my guinea pigs...it works...although it does smell like you are making Easter eggs...but the vinegar smell doesn't last after you through out the vinegar.

The baking soda is a good idea too..

http://www.rd.com/home/remove-cigarette-or-cigar-smoke-smells/

Good job on the quitting...I did that too this year.

Inconnu

Sunlight is the best disinfectant. If there's no wind outside, or inside through a window. It could take a few weeks.

Congrats on quitting.

gregory

My stinkiest deck EVER spent a few weeks in a box with lavender scented candles. It's fine now. It wasn't ciggy smoke, but I think the principle holds. Another option is spending time with kitty litter, so many here have reported.

greatdane

Charcoal if really strong

I have put charcoal in a big plastic bag then a book inside another bag, then carefully placed it within the bag with the charcoal so the charcoal doesn't come into contact with what is in the smaller bag and sealed the big bag for a few days to a week. Opening a BIG box of baking soda and pouring it into a bag and then putting a book or a deck into a smaller bag and sealing it works also. You just have to take care that the contents of the smaller bag don't come into contact with the charcoal, or if you prefer, the baking soda. That's the strongest solution I know of.

Nomdeplume

Thank you so much for all your replies! I will let you know how it works out.

canid

I have put charcoal in a big plastic bag then a book inside another bag, then carefully placed it within the bag with the charcoal so the charcoal doesn't come into contact with what is in the smaller bag and sealed the big bag for a few days to a week. Opening a BIG box of baking soda and pouring it into a bag and then putting a book or a deck into a smaller bag and sealing it works also. You just have to take care that the contents of the smaller bag don't come into contact with the charcoal, or if you prefer, the baking soda. That's the strongest solution I know of.

Yup, charcoal. Go to the pet store & get a small bag of charcoal nuggets that go into the aquarium filter. You can get them in a mesh bag for less mess. Let your deck(s) & the charcoal sleep together. Baking soda works also, but the charcoal is awesome for absorbing all kinds of odors. I smoke also but not in my house so I don't think my cards stink.