Cleansing Tarot decks this full moon night prior to lunar eclipse???

pacificwaters

Until now I was only having the RWS deck. I was recently gifted two decks – the Tarot de Marseilles and the Golden Tarot. I was planning to use them after cleansing them in the full moon night on 10th December. However there is also going to be a lunar eclipse on the very same day. Considering this should I keep the decks for cleansing on this full moon night? Or should I postpone the cleansing for the next full moon night?? Is there any justification for my whim about the lunar eclipse or am I just being overtly superstitious???

gregory

A whim is a whim and entirely up to the person who has it.

I have never cleansed a deck in my life, unless you count putting smelly ones in a box with nice smelling things to make the smell go away. Clearly you like to cleanse yours - so go with whatever option feels best to you.

moonbear

For me, the lunar eclipse is a very magical moment and absolutely right for all rituals/spells.

I'll be there on the night with my moonstones and candles and herbs :)

Melia

You probably should ask a qualified astrologer.

If it were me I would definitely go ahead. The moon eclipse is in Gemini (a chatty sign .... sees both points of view/sides of the question) and opposite Sagittarius which is considered an expansive sign. Even though Mercury, Gemini's ruler, will still be retrograde, this is excellent for people wishing to explore the past in any way .... so good for tarot questions exploring the past (recent or distant past). Also Uranus - the truth teller - moves direct just before this eclipse.

Zechariah13

hmmm, if you didnt want to do it during the eclipse, but didnt want to wait a month, couldnt you also work a cleansing under the Dark Moon? Albeit, that would be more like a banishing of unwanted energy, but the concept should still work towards the same end. It' might require a small change of ritual, though

Morwenna

There's going to be a lunar eclipse?? I really must get out more... :)

I've never cleansed a deck, but I'm wondering if maybe I ought to this time... lunar eclipse so close to the solstice and all that. There's no justification for what I'm about to say except my own intuition here, but I suspect that the most potent time would be just as the moon emerges from the earth's shadow. It suggests revealing of hidden things.

I don't even know if it'll be visible in our longitude, i.e. after dark. I must check this out.

gregory

There's going to be a lunar eclipse?? I really must get out more... :)

I've never cleansed a deck, but I'm wondering if maybe I ought to this time... lunar eclipse so close to the solstice and all that. There's no justification for what I'm about to say except my own intuition here, but I suspect that the most potent time would be just as the moon emerges from the earth's shadow. It suggests revealing of hidden things.

I don't even know if it'll be visible in our longitude, i.e. after dark. I must check this out.
It won't be in the UK, that's for sure :(

Morwenna

Rats. :( I just looked it up. In North America it'll only be visible in the west; only on the coast will there be a chance of seeing it emerge from the shadow, in the pre-dawn period. Alaska, Hawaii, the Pacific Rim will see it just fine. Australia and NZ should see it.

pacificwaters

You probably should ask a qualified astrologer.

Don't you think it would be a bit weird that I consult an astrologer for stuff related to Tarot.... its somewhat like asking one form of divination a question about the other form of divination...

I am into Tarot for just about 7 months and have never ever cleansed decks...I believe my decks will always mirror my energy, but I had this question chiefly for the other two decks that I was gifted.

If it were me I would definitely go ahead. The moon eclipse is in Gemini (a chatty sign .... sees both points of view/sides of the question) and opposite Sagittarius which is considered an expansive sign. Even though Mercury, Gemini's ruler, will still be retrograde, this is excellent for people wishing to explore the past in any way .... so good for tarot questions exploring the past (recent or distant past). Also Uranus - the truth teller - moves direct just before this eclipse.

Considering from what others have mentioned here as well as your other interps with relation to astrology I guess I will go ahead with the cleansing.... Since its just a whim, I can obviously dismiss it, unless there were specific reasons for not doing it..!!

Morwenna

I don't know; I was into astrology long before Tarot and I don't see a problem. :) In fact a friend of mine reads playing cards and runesticks--not together, but sometimes she will read the cards to clarify something that came up in the runes. It's an example of what she calls belt-and-suspenders: getting a second opinion!

And since I too read runes, I never thought before of asking one form about something in another form. I'm remembering the spread about asking decks to rate each other, or talk to each other, or something: what if I were to ask the runes about one of my decks?? Hmm...

As for astrology, look at all the decks that use astrological symbolism!!

I know this is all OT, but I do like the cleansing idea in the eclipse. Only I don't really think about it as "cleansing," at least not in my case; it would be more in the way of a dedication.