cloth for spreads

hunter

I just have a red cowboy looking bandanna and a plastic zip lock baggie.

Do any of you scent your cards to match the cloth? My cards are scented with rose oil. Well at least that is what the man with the fold up table in the train station called it :) Who knows what is in that bottle! It smells like rose though.

My poor neglected cards :-0

lark

hunter said:
I just have a red cowboy looking bandanna and a plastic zip lock baggie.

Do any of you scent your cards to match the cloth? My cards are scented with rose oil. Well at least that is what the man with the fold up table in the train station called it :) Who knows what is in that bottle! It smells like rose though.

My poor neglected cards :-0
You shouldn't keep your decks in baggies...they could get little moldy spots on them from moisture...even just the moisture from your hands when you use them and put them back in the baggie.
PM me if you would like some cloth tarot bags free...my treat.

Lysh

lark said:
PM me if you would like some cloth tarot bags free...my treat.

That was so nice of you to offer that to Hunter!! Much better than plastic baggies...we do not want precious cards to end up moldy!

Grizabella

Thanks to a wonderful trade, I have the Transparent Tarot now and the white cotton cloth that comes with the deck is excellent for reading the cards on. I don't think any other color except for very, very pale pastels would work with it.

White cotton would seem to be a very good spread cloth for other decks, too.

hunter

Lark that's so sweet! Thank you! But I'm okay. Well at least I THINK I am. Cards don't punish us for shabby homes do they? Especially if we tell them we love them? :)

Will the cards be okay in plastic if I only put them in the baggie when I put them in my backpack? I'm afraid of what will get on them in there.

Today a friend unexpectedly gave me 2 pounds of frozen ground beef and I had to throw that in my backpack along with my cards and everything else in there. I was really glad they were protected in plastic even though I had also double bagged the beef.

I'm currently in a major city and a real subway rat. I haul everything in my backpack. Accidents happen, especially food ones. I'm kinda skinny and have a habit of spending my limited funds on stuff like self-help books and art supplies and recently my cards, so people are always giving me food. I'm forever unexpectedly hauling some type of leaky food home. The older women treat me like a puppy, always feeding me treats :) I guess that's what happens when your hiking boots are bigger than your butt :-0

When I'm home the cards are usually out or just wrapped in the bandannas. Will 10 hours or so a day in plastic be okay. I just have the 2 decks( RWS & Medicine Cards) and I use them both a lot, so neither is left in plastic just sitting around.

I'm so glad you mentioned mold. I didn't think of that!! I'll definitely remember to never leave them in plastic overnight.

lark

As long as there is some time in the day where they are out and able to breath you'll be OK.
If you change your mind about the bags just pm me...I make them and I have a lot right now.

hunter

Lark, you are so sweet. Thanks!

I think I'll use plastic for now. I'm going to go to the hiking store and see if I can find a waterproof, but breathable bag. They have all sorts of bags for backpackers that are super lightweight and functional in different ways. I'll bet they have just the thing.

I was so busy thinking about keeping things away from my cards, I never thought that anything needed to be released. I can't tell you how much I appreciate the info!

When my life changes so that the scariest thing that might get spilled on my cards is mocha, lemonade, or wine (stories I've read here) I'll look into more traditional housing for them.

Again, thanks for the sweet offer!

lark

The hiking store sounds like a good idea.
Some people who need to keep their cards in a water proof bag go to the dollar store and get those little zipper cosmetic bags.
They usually have cloth on the inside, but are water proof on the outside.

To keep this thread on track I recently found this nice piece of black fabric called "peach cloth"...it made a really excellent spread cloth, wrinkle proof, and it lays nice and flat.

Morwenna

I never really thought of white cotton, but I do have some old damask tablecloths... hmmm... there's that small one with the colored border on two ends...

Lysh

I finally ordered two new spread clothes! One velvet royal blue (I love blues!) and a beautiful crimson silk cloth. I am excited, it will be interesting to take my various decks and lay them on top of the clothes to see how the images 'pop' out!