Common Interview-like questions people have asked you?

Cenozoic

Even before reading for anyone, I always get hounded by interview like questions, like:

"how did you learn this?"
(hopefully not from the internet)

"how does it work?"
(I hope not from demons)

"how long have you been doing this for?"
(I hope not for just a month)

"when did you start?"
(I hope not just last week)

"why do you believe in this?"
(I sure don't cuz I'm smart)

"what's a reading?"
(where's the book?!)

These are the type of things people have asked me. I put some of the more negative things they've said or implied in brackets, but the questions themselves are innocent. Now I'm wondering what kind of questions people tend to ask you, and how you respond to these interview like questions? I'm sure there's a lot of them.

HeatherRose

Hmm...that's interesting. I have to say I've never really been asked any of these questions...at least not before a reading. The only one I get once in awhile, and it's been after a reading is "How long have you been doing readings?".

I am usually the one to ask before a reading things like "Have you had a tarot reading before?", and "what are you looking to get out of this reading?". Then I will usually give a short overview of how I give a reading and what they can expect from a reading with me, as many people use many different techniques, cards, etc. I will let them know that they can ask questions or stop me at any time if they do not understand what I'm saying. And I will usually tell them to relax, and let them know that it's going to go well, we are going to get their questions answered and that we are both going to enjoy our time together. :) I feel it sets the stage for a positive interraction.

InionAradia

I don't read professionally, just for friends, family and acquaintances. Normally, those who approach me about a reading don't ask questions like that, I think because they respect me enough to know that I've put a lot of time and effort into it. From people who find out I do Tarot, but don't approach me for a reading, they tend to ask things like "why do you believe this kind of thing". Generally, I find it best to just smile and say something like "It's trye for me", or "I just do" and avoid any debates or discussions about it- you have to pick your battles, and typically that's not one of mine.
If I were you, I'd answer shortly and briefly and move on. It's not worth too much effort, really, unless they're genuinely interested. And most people, in my experience, aren't.

Grizabella

If you're quite young, you may get asked how long you've been doing it and how you learned it because because the stereotypical card reader is an older woman. They probably just want to know because they're curious and also just to make conversation.

nisaba

"how did you learn this?"
(hopefully not from the internet)
Tick.

"how long have you been doing this for?"
(I hope not for just a month)

"when did you start?"
(I hope not just last week)
Well, these are really the same question looking for the same information.

Why do you use different decks?

The older decks work better, right?

I'll bet it's easier doing accurate readings when you know someone, right?

You charge so much money per hour - are you doing this to get really rich?

Are you doing this because you can't get a real job?

Is it easy?

What happens if you can't read for someone?

Are all readers white witches? <wince>

You had to be born able to read, right?

Are you psychic? If not, what right do you have to do readings?

nisaba

Are you psychic?
Not so very long ago, I was horrified by the woman at whose shop I do readings. At the time I was sitting in the reader's room, and a customer walked in and asked about readings. She said Nisaba was here today, and she had different readers on different days. Fair enough. The person asked what I did and She said Tarot, and she than asked about what the person on Saturday did, and she said "Tarot, but she's also psychic". I was quite offended. After the customer left (having of course made a definite booking for Saturday) I talked to J. about this.

And the Saturday Girl, K., doesn't even own a Tarot deck - she uses oracle decks. I don't think either of them know the difference.

GotH

Not so very long ago, I was horrified by the woman at whose shop I do readings. At the time I was sitting in the reader's room, and a customer walked in and asked about readings. She said Nisaba was here today, and she had different readers on different days. Fair enough. The person asked what I did and She said Tarot, and she than asked about what the person on Saturday did, and she said "Tarot, but she's also psychic". I was quite offended. After the customer left (having of course made a definite booking for Saturday) I talked to J. about this.

And the Saturday Girl, K., doesn't even own a Tarot deck - she uses oracle decks. I don't think either of them know the difference.

What a blow. I hope that wasn't intentionally said to effect your status or income.

I know the new age shop I visit has a list of what each reader offers and is handed out to those asking similar questions.

nisaba

Well, I did wander in a few days later on one of my off-days, when she was painting one of the walls of the shop. She was having trouble scraping back some old splintered paint. I always wear (illegally) a pouch with a small but sturdy folding knife - it's such a useful tool to have on me - and when she had problems I offered her the knife which was perfect and did the job neatly. As I folded it back and tucked it away, I casually asked her if the fact that I'd just turned up with the perfect blade exactly when she needed it might demonstrate a certain psychic ability ...

In the couple of weeks since, she's been bending over to please me.

tarotbear

I casually asked her if the fact that I'd just turned up with the perfect blade exactly when she needed it might demonstrate a certain psychic ability ...

In the couple of weeks since, she's been bending over to please me.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Good for you! :thumbsup:

nisaba

TAROTBEAR!!! Great to see you! <hughughughughughug>

Love my deck, by the way. And I love the ... er ... little extra you put in with it, too. :)