Competition – something to think about

frelkins

Umbrae said:
There are times we even invite trouble…

such as ? i'm just looking for a fuller example to explain your meaning here, please, u.

Umbrae said:
We have to not appear to be a part of that archetypal image.
and how do you suggest we do this? do you like the ATA code of ethics, for example? what about those of us who don't make our living reading? who are just casual readers? i believe even casual readers and collectors have the ability to influence our various social circles.

Umbrae said:
Does this make my position easier to understand?
sure, the point wasn't the Rom per se, but rather the culture of cold reading, psychic fakery, fear, and scam artistry; it just so happens that in this case the persons involved are Rom.

Baroli

Look,......tomorrow night I start a gig in a coffee house. Do you think I am going to dress the "role" and talk with an accent and say "Crrrrosss my palm with siiilllver." Ahhh, no. I absolutely refuse to do that schlock. I also absolutely refuse to do 10 minute teasers. Nope not my style.

I think we have to be a cut above, don't matter what ethnicity, or whatever. We owe it to ourselves, to our profession, no matter if its fulltime, parttime, anytime, for money or not, we owe it to conduct our business to a higher standard. So that we don't get lumped into the "Fortuneteller thing."

Baroli * leaving the building and taking her soapbox with her *

Splungeman

I think I know what Umbrae wants us to do...

I think it's linked to his ceaseless mantra: "You must get out there and read for strangers." If more of us get out and meet the public and start changing the face of Tarot, then over time the gypsy stereotype will start to fade out. Oh, it'll never completely go away, but at least when someone says to their friend, "I went to a Tarot reader today," the friend won't immediately picture a dimly lit curtained room, a woman with large earrings and an eastern european accent, and a crystal ball.

I keep getting "You don't LOOK like someone who reads Tarot cards." To which I respond, "Good!"

Splungeman

Hmmm...I have a more radical solution. Let's all write letters and try to get Umbrae on the Oprah show. :)

6 Haunted Days

Splungeman said:
I think I know what Umbrae wants us to do...

I think it's linked to his ceaseless mantra: "You must get out there and read for strangers." If more of us get out and meet the public and start changing the face of Tarot, then over time the gypsy stereotype will start to fade out. Oh, it'll never completely go away, but at least when someone says to their friend, "I went to a Tarot reader today," the friend won't immediately picture a dimly lit curtained room, a woman with large earrings and an eastern european accent, and a crystal ball.

I keep getting "You don't LOOK like someone who reads Tarot cards." To which I respond, "Good!"

I don't think that's going to work in my case. I look kinda weird. Might hurt "the cause". And I'm most certainly not changing how I look to read tarot and promote a gentrified ambience and image.

Does it ever seem that all life is, is overcoming everyones fixed stereotypes they have in their heads? Not just tarot, everything. Gets to the point where....whatever, who cares?

Splungeman

6 Haunted Days said:
I don't think that's going to work in my case. I look kinda weird. Might hurt "the cause". And I'm most certainly not changing how I look to read tarot and promote a gentrified ambience and image.

Does it ever seem that all life is, is overcoming everyones fixed stereotypes they have in their heads? Not just tarot, everything. Gets to the point where....whatever, who cares?

Weird is fine. The point is...you are not a gypsy. I didn't mean to say that it was the look that was the important part. The only point is that non-gypsies need to "bring the thunder" so to speak...make our presence known.

Splungeman

6 Haunted Days said:

Overcoming stereotypes is always important, depending on the stereotype. For some people, yes, overcoming stereotypes IS their life's goal and for good reason. Just being of a certain ethnicity gets a lot of people pigeonholed. For example, being black/asian/mexican/indian/etc in america will immediately have 75% of the population thinking they have you figured out just looking at you.

I'm sure that some gypsies resent it when someone assumes that they know how to tell fortunes just because they are a gypsy. I resent it when people immediately think I can't read their cards because I don't advertise myself as "psychic" or because I'm NOT a gypsy.

Is that all life is? Of course not. Not for everybody. But for some it's their life's struggle and what a worthy struggle it is. :)

philebus

Solitaire had a good point I think. Either you distinguish yourselves from those you don't like by saying that they aren't genuine or you distance yourselves with regards to the business practices. As the former would run into empirical problems, you are left only with the later. However, to an extent, you are in the hands of the popular media, they will present you in the light that makes for good stories and sales - call me a cynic but I don't fancy your chances there.

In this country, I don't think that there is much of a problem with image. Tarot reading and the like seems popular and acceptable here. It looks to me as being quite mainstream, along with the spiritualists, and alternative health markets.

magpie9

Whotthehell.......I haven't gotten in trouble lately...

I've gotta say that the article is about a "turf war", not what is done inside the 'fortune telling" parlor. I'm not suggesting that what they're doing is just straight readings---or not. We are assuming that the must be doing unethical things there. Why? Because it's Gypsies? Because they're doing readings in a wealthy community? Because they have a sandwich sign out on the sidewalk? The cops aren't talking about them ripping people off, they're talking about turf war. It's not the same thing.

Yes, it's important to break the stereotypes, and we could start here, by not jumping to conclusions and making assumptions.

The crowned one

I see myself as a scientist really... or perhaps a explorer. I am not worried about tarots reputation, only my ability to work with the cards. And when reading for others: read well and with compassion.

Now let me read that back, how do I feel about it? ..