Computer Tarot Journal

Inana

Since someone here recomended it, i tried the free version of TreeDBNotes and I'm still using it too. It's a simple and practical software.
It's true sometimes it has some bugs but i stopped to having problems when using the database tools for compacting and making backups.

But now, reading Mellifluous post i'm thinking that having some tags would be also a nice thing.

Keldor

Mellifluous, what blogging software do you use for your Tarot Journal?

EarthAngel2911

I also use TheJournal and its been a great organizer for me. It seems as if TreeDBNotes has a similar setup structure as far as different tabs for different "trees." But the screens just look so BUSY! So much room is taken up with the toolbars at the top, you're not left with a whole lot of room for editing your entries!

BUT, I love the idea of creating eBooks! Especially with the ability to have a stand-alone program built in to run it. I mean, what would happen to all my data if David Michael decided not to continue his program? Sure, I could print everything out to hard copy, but that would kind of defeat the purpose. Plus, I'd just have to re-enter it into another program. But to be able to create an e-Book and always have your information handy in a nice usable format....

Have any TreeDBNotes users ever used the e-Book feature before? If so, I'd love to hear how it works!! That would be the one thing to make me cross over. ;)

Mellifluous

Keldor said:
Mellifluous, what blogging software do you use for your Tarot Journal?

I use GreatestJournal.com.

LifeJournal, which I have on my computer, is not free, but it is great. When I got it, it was $39, I think. I've been using it for years, for non-tarot purposes.

I like the gmail idea, too, (or whatever web based email, I suppose). Their folders are basically the same as tags and lord knows you get enough memory space to send a lot of information to yourself. lol Also, and obviously, they have a good search engine backing it. You still have to open each email one at a time, but it's a very good idea, I think. :)

WolfyJames

Whether you want to view the toolbars at the top or not is among the options. I prefer having the icons under my nose when I write then having to dig in the menus to do stuff so my toolbars are busy and I don't like having the app being open fully as well (maximised), it's too much in my face, but you can have the app maximised. There is a free viewer on their site so your friends can see your file without having to have the app (only works for versions 2.X). Or you can create e-books as well and it uses the same interface as the viewer. You can chose if you allow copy-paste and print wen you create one. Here how it looks like:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/wolfyjames/nada/CoV0004.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/wolfyjames/nada/CoV0005.jpg

Keldor

I've decided to use MS Word for my journal, I set up templates for Readings and Spreads, it's not fancy but it will be just fine for me :)

EarthAngel2911

Wolfy, thanks so much for the additional info and extra screen shots! I sure do like the look of this program. Sounds shallow, I know, but I tend to be very visual, and this does affect my decisions, I'm afraid. ;)

Together with this great interface and the eBook capability, I'm thinking of pulling my checkbook out...

WolfyJames

EarthAngel2911 said:
Wolfy, thanks so much for the additional info and extra screen shots! I sure do like the look of this program. Sounds shallow, I know, but I tend to be very visual, and this does affect my decisions, I'm afraid. ;)

I have to admit that I'm pretty shallow myself, I love pretty interfaces, and this one has neat icons and all. The version 3 will have more icons and we will be able to import them as well.

The important thing to know about TreeDBNotes is that you have to repair and compact your databases often, or otherwise the files get very big very quickly.

Nevermore

Try out LiveJournal (go to livejournal.com), with a V, not an F. It's basically online software. You don't need to download anything, you just need a working email address, that only you have access to. You can sign up for a basic(free) account or a sponsored (also free) account, or of course a paid account. You can make your entries visible to the entire world, just the friends you've added on livejournal or totally private. You can even make a tarot community forum if you like.
You can add tags for each entry. The tags are a wonderful organization system even for non tarot journal entries.

Melvis

The Zoho website has a Writer program that I use, plus a bunch of other FREE online programs. The writer is a free word processing program that is based on the web. You can make your files public, share them privately with a group of other users, or keep them completely to yourself.

I haven't tried out any of the other programs yet, but there's a Creator program that allows you to make a database (of cards...decks...you name it), a Presentation program and a Notebook program that seems to give you more freedom for adding content like pictures and music than the Writer program does.

But I love the Writer program since I can access it anywhere I can get online. And it's freeeeee!!! :D I'd love to hear if anyone has used any of the other programs there.

Peace,

Melvis
:TSTRE