Confused...help!

Amary

You know, I did a lot of the same thing that you are when I first started tarot (All of four months ago!)- I read and read and read in books. I wanted to know the *right* answers. (I was also undergoing a bit of religious conversion, so that was part of my mania.)

In my own readings with the cards, I started getting the same message a LOT- "slow down. Take a rest. This will all make sense if you give yourself some time to absorb what you've already learned."

Of course, I didn't do it.

Then, I got, "You need to stop. You're hurting yourself."

And then my readings stopped making sense. It was like I had a huge mental block that I couldn't get past.

So, I stopped reading the books entirely and focused on the cards. THe blocks went away, and I ended up feeling calmer and more centered in general. I am slowly picking up the study part again, but... slowly.

In short, I agree with everyone else. Put away the books for awhile. Use what you've already learned, let it settle in and begin to make sense in a functional way. There is no "right" answer to what the cards mean. I know four people who read in real life, and not one of them reads the same meanings as the others, and none of them read in the same manner- yet all the readings are valid.

Alpha-Omega

mindxb said:
Hi There

I've only been on the forum for about a week. I have however, been devouring information non-stop for a few months and listening and learning from fellow members of the forum... thank you!

I am now, however, super confused. I have read about the major arcana, minor arcana, their astrological signs, numerology signs, seasons they represent, people they represent, elements they represent... now elemental dignities (starting to get lost), the kabbalah, and the four letter unpronounceable name of God... I'm really, really confused.

What do I really need to know to make a start and read some cards?

Is there someone, either on AT or elsewhere, that gives a quick rundown of what 1-10 of any suit should mean, court cards and their astrological partner (as might help understand a person in a reading), and other such basics to get on and interpret.

When I had less in my head, I just got on with it... now I'm a little overwhelmed. With this in mind, please forgive me if I have posted in the wrong forum (again!)

Hello,

Your confusion is a very common thing when starting with tarot. I think its safe to say many of the readers here where in the same position you are in.

There are two ways of going about learning tarot.
1) Buying a book or books and learning the basics from the books. This a good way in my view because you can get a general sense of a cards meaning that is well known and established.

2) Intuitive/personal way, you dont pick up any books and apply your own meanings to the cards. This is good because you wont forget your meanings to the cards as fast or at all then learning by a book. This method requires less learning because you are applying your meanings and feelings to the cards.

All the associations of the cards (astrological and other) should not be learned right off the bat, it should be left for later more deeper learning of the cards. They can add more layers to the cards. You should start with seasons, astrological and numerological. These will build stronger foundations to the cards.

Best of luck

whiterose

mindxb,

Hi! Yup, very daunting task indeed! When I first started, I found one book that was soo refreshing! It's called "The Smart Girl's Guide to Tarot" By Emmi Fredericks. It's very simple. The language is modern. And it keeps everything light and fun. It's a great jumping off point. You can get it at amazon for like 7 bucks last time I checked.
relax you got time!

nisaba

I should imagine that many men would find the title makes them feel unwelcome.

whiterose

Maybe there's a book out there " Smart Guy's Guide..."
Or some smart guy could write one? That'd be cool.

mysticmonkey

mindxb said:
I am now, however, super confused. I have read about the major arcana, minor arcana, their astrological signs, numerology signs, seasons they represent, people they represent, elements they represent... now elemental dignities (starting to get lost), the kabbalah, and the four letter unpronounceable name of God... I'm really, really confused.
Oh blimey no wonder you're confused. It's like you've just order the entire menu at McDonalds and don't know where to start.

There's nothing wrong with astrology and kabbalah elements coming into your readings but at the heart of tarot is just a deck with 78 pictures that someone, somewhere a long time ago started playing around with and doing readings.
Just have fun doing the same and add stuff in there later if you feel that you want to but it's by no means mandatory.

gregory

nisaba said:
You need to know nothing. No, that's not true - you need to know human nature and something of the world. Look at the pictures. Ultimately, they'll tell you everything you need to know.
What she said. And I have NO idea about the astrological etc stuff..... (I don't even use what are often called generic meanings....)

Try looking at some of the exchanges here - see how people seem to work - just read a few exchanges of various types.

Meanwhile - LOOK AT EACH CARD. Spend some time with each. Write down what it says to you. Then try a combo of two and see how that changes things..... Then scream in frustration and try answering a question by drawing JUST ONE card....

It happens to you by trying, the art of reading, IMHO.

hoomer

Simple divination is but one use of tarot. Tarot is most effectively used to help transform conciousness and to meditate upon (some would argue). There are 2 types of tarot users, those who rely upon their innate “abilities” (which all people have to a greater or lesser extent) and those that are the same as the 1st group BUT also KNOW and communicate with their deck.
First and foremost as tarot users we should know that Tarot is ALIVE. A simple way to approach any deck is to treat them as: “TAROT ARE LIKE A PERSON, TREAT THEM BADLY AND THEY’LL TREAT YOU BADLY, TREAT THEM WELL AND THEY’LL BE YOUR FRIENDS.”
This simple yet effective exercise should be undertaken for those who are regular meditators, at least this will be most effective for those that meditate often.

court card exercise

1. Remove all the court cards from your deck. Set aside the rest of the deck, you will not be using them.
2. Briefly enter silence and still your mind. Take the cards and shuffle them in this “silent” mode.
3. From this deck choose 1 card, face down. Place the rest of the cards aside.
4. With your chosen card place it in both hands. Caress the card. Briefly enter silence and meditate upon the card, stilling the mind, free yourself allowing the card to “talk to you”.
5. After this brief period turn over the card. Hold the card close to your face and study it. Clear your mind and meditate open eyed on the card. Let the card fill your conciousness. The card may begin to move and become alive, do not resist this, only resist absurdities such as an appearance of mickey mouse. Meditate open eyed holding the card in your conciousness for 5-10 mins.
6. Now you have communicated with the cards. This is a simple exercise that is surprisingly effective. Feel free to write down any exeperiences or things you have learnt.
………………

The Tarot is generally made up of 78 cards. We have 22 “trump cards” (22 Hebrew letters) 16 Court cards (king, queen, knight and “page”. Lastly we have remaining 40 numerical cards (4 sets of 10). We shall explore this more later.

For now let’s move onto a simple but LONG term exercise.

You should get to KNOW your deck intimately. How does one do this? One meditates.

You should obtain a book to be used as a journal. Now you have to meditate upon every one of the 78 cards!…yes a daunting task, but there are no quick fixes; a good meal isn’t made up of “fast food.”

Feel free to add to your journal at all times.

Take a card from your deck. Now Which card should this be? That is up to YOU. There are several methods.

1) follow a numerical value system. Such as start with card #1 of the trump cards…then move on to card #2 etc. Or you could follow a system based upon how the cards are placed upon the tree of life. Or simply meditate and pick a card from the deck. The choice is YOURS. But stick to it!

2. Now you must meditate upon your chosen card daily. Do this initially by staring at the card. Place it close to your eyes. Allow the image to fill your consciousness. At this initial stage do not allow anything to move. You are merely attempting to fix the image in your mind. SO much so you could close your eyes and see the card. DO this initial “staring” for around 10 minutes a night, preferably at the same time every night. Do this for at least a week, perhaps 2 weeks.

Now you should know the card off by heart and pretty much be able to see the card without even looking at it. Continue as in stage 2 but allow the card to Move. You should be able to now meditate closed eyed upon the card. Do this for several days.

Gradually carry on as before. But now you should move your consciousness so you are within the card. Feel free to interact with any of the beings in the card.

Do this for every card.

Other exercises include pulling cards, by random pick or by choice and literally creating a written and/or oral story

You can do this with several or just one card. Actually having a conversation with the card as well as story creation is another effective method.

As others have hinted, it is wha t you feel, not what a book feels, that is most important.

Just some helpful suggestions