copying cards for reading?

Grizabella

If US Games bought the copyright on the Rider deck then it's not in the public domain anymore. If you find say, a book you like, and the copyright on it is lapsed so that it's in the public domain, you can buy the copyright to that book and then the book is yours to market and make royalties from. As I've been taught, anyway, the laws changed in the 70's so that the fact that you've written or created something gives you automatic copyright without your ever having to file for it. (You'd better have a paper trail though, and it does pay to pay to have it copyrighted legally just for good measure.) You own the copyright to your own work and your heirs will own it up till 50 years after your death, but then it passes into the public domain unless your heirs pick up the copyright for themselves.

Tarotbear having just published a book would probably know whether what I was taught is current, because I learned this stuff back in the 80's when I was writing for publication. I presume tarotbear must have had legal counsel when he was getting his book published.

There are places on the internet that tell current information about copyright law. Just Google it and you'll come up with answers.

Emily

Hi cyan,

I'm not a techie either and it took me long enough to learn how to scale the pics down to attach but when you scan your image, try saving it to the 'My Pictures' folder in 'My Documents' - I have WinXP but I think there was something similar in my other PC.

It sounds like you have one of the defaults set to save straight to Photo Shop. I like to save everything to the 'My Pictures' folder then move to my imaging programme from there - makes everything easier for me. :)

tarotbear

the joys of switching systems....

I have an HP printer and a scanner; one of them came with a program called 'HP Photo Printing' where you could resize, manipulate colors, brighten, darken, etc. On my old PC, when using the HP scanner I could chose to send the scanned pic directly to Photo Printing. From there I could do what I wanted, then save it to where I wanted so that I could send it without the problems you seem to be having, cyan.

Now I have a new Dell, and this option does not show up! So, I save them to a specific folder, then open HP Photo Printing, pull up the picture, do whatever I need to do, then resave the picture where I want it. It's an extra step I did not have to do before, but it works.

tarotbear

diverging, ... I know

Images - who owns what?

The following two examples deal with slightly diiferent aspects - one is ownership and one is usage .. but I give them both to you:

About three years ago, TB went to Montreal for a 3-day photoshoot and 600+ pictures were taken, some published on a men's site owned by the photographer. About 2 years later he contacted me about releasing some pix to a Japanese men's mag, which I signed. Exclusively, the photgrapher's site uses me to shill for the site; I get no compensation for this because the model does not own the copyright on the pictures - the photographer does. All I can do is try to ask for credit if he uses my image. {Remember, the swimsuit models may get paid a fortune to wear the swimsuits, but do not get paid for the use of the pictures.} So, my image is all over and I can do nothing about it.

If the image is owned by the photographer:

{hypothetical} I owned a Picasso I bought from Pablo himself. In 1982 I photographed it for insurance purposes. In 1995 I sold it to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. All images of works in the Met are copyrighted by the Met. However, I took this picture before it was copyrighted, so don't I have the right to sell or license that picture I took before I sold it to the Met?