Cosmic Tribe: Disks

le pendu

To discuss the color and symbolism of the Disks suit.

le pendu

I'd like to explore the Court cards particularly, and then venture into the pips.

In the Cosmic Tribe, Disks = Earth. I love the color in the Disk courts.. generally a sort of muddy green. This immediately "grounds" me. :)
I know at once that I am dealing with rich moist soil, fertile ground.

Things do not happen immediately in the garden, they take time and care to grow and flourish.. and what does grow may be a short lived flower that sends it's seeds through the air, or a mighty tree that dwarfs the lifespan of a mere human.

To grow, plants need Air to breath, Water to nourish, and Fire in the form of sunlight. It's this connection to the other suits that makes Disks both the foundation and fulfillment of the interconnected systems.

Everything alive on our planet is made of Disks, and everything eventually returns to Disks to become something else.

In the Cosmic Tribe, we see our connection to this principle, and our responsibility for guardianship.

In the Disks courts, we see two unique things that don't happen in any of the other suits.. the Princess is sitting, and the Queen is actually formed of another object... a tree.

Another interesting feature is that while most of the other courts clearly show the symbol... a sword, a cup, a wand... the Disks are harder distinguish. Is the snake in the Prince the disk? The flower on the Princess? The rock on the Knight? And what of the Queen, is she simply to be seen as Gaia herself.. the disk being the whole Earth?

Why do the Princess and Queen have horns, but not the men, (which seems to be a more typical way of portraying a "Lord of the Animals")?

Is there a connection between the Prince of Disks and the Queen of Wands.. both of whom stand on a snake?

Notice the backgrounds of the Prince and Princess.. are they a phallus and a womb? Notice how they seem like a pair, complementing each other.

When I look at the Prince, I am reminded of the Magician. Is he channeling the power of the Disks/Earth via his will?

When I look at the Princess, I am reminded of the High Priestess. Is she the passageway to the mysteries of the Disks/Earth? Does she also channel the power of the Disks/Earth, absorbing the energy in her right hand and releasing life with her left? Is her's a meditation and internalization of the life force?

What is the role of the Knight of Disks? Is he perched on his rock as the lookout and guardian of the Disks/Earth? Is his the stewardship that tells us to respect, encourage, and protect life? Is he the Emperor of the Earth?

If so, could the Queen be the Empress of the Earth? Is she the frutation and maturity of life? Is her joyous expression the flowering and fulfillment of all the hard labour, and the expression of the natural rhythms, that combine to explode forth Earth's vitality?

Prince of Disks
Princess of Disks
Knight of Disks
Queen of Disks

Tansey Ella

edited

palzom

disks

le pendu said:
In the Cosmic Tribe, Disks = Earth. I love the color in the Disk courts.. generally a sort of muddy green. This immediately "grounds" me. :)
I know at once that I am dealing with rich moist soil, fertile ground.

This color really brings me back to myself. To a quiet mindset, like when you're playing by yourself in the dirt as a kid, watching ant-hills etc.

le pendu said:
Things do not happen immediately in the garden, they take time and care to grow and flourish.. and what does grow may be a short lived flower that sends it's seeds through the air, or a mighty tree that dwarfs the lifespan of a mere human.

To grow, plants need Air to breath, Water to nourish, and Fire in the form of sunlight. It's this connection to the other suits that makes Disks both the foundation and fulfillment of the interconnected systems.

Everything alive on our planet is made of Disks, and everything eventually returns to Disks to become something else.

So can we say that disks not only represent nature but also cycles in general (life to death to life, plant to animal to plant, the water cycle, etc.) and the cycle of matter to energy and back in particular?

le pendu said:
In the Cosmic Tribe, we see our connection to this principle, and our responsibility for guardianship.

I feel this more with the Knight of Disks more than with any other card. Plus, I am in love with him. He is so gorgeous. I don't see the Jesus thing. I actually felt more like those were down-curved rams horns or a mudded flower wreath. He looks so careful, comfortable, and quietly sexual. He is not looking for a mate. He is just looking, watching, guarding.

le pendu said:
In the Disks courts, we see two unique things that don't happen in any of the other suits.. the Princess is sitting, and the Queen is actually formed of another object... a tree.

I think the princess is sitting to show groundedness and abundance. I'm not convinced that she's scowling. She just doesn't have a spritely beauty like the princess of air. She's offering the abundance of life and she's sitting securely with herself as herself.