Could have saved a bundle if only I'd have paid attention!

Stark Raven

Yes, this is true as a is commonly illustrated here, we often buy impulse items because the getting is good at that time and not guaranteed to be available later. Yes, it's true that all of my Tarot and Oracle decks but one are very dear to me; you can't put a price tag on that feeling.

rwcarter

Buyer's Remorse. If you're happy with the price you paid and with the item you received, then it doesn't matter how much money you might have saved if you'd waited. If you had waited, the cheaper item might never have become available and then you'd have no item(s). I've seen things I paid more for go for less later on, but that doesn't bother me cause you never know whether the two in the bush are actually better than the one in hand. ;) They might be cheaper, but they could also have flaws that the one you have doesn't.

Stark Raven

Buyer's Remorse. If you're happy with the price you paid and with the item you received, then it doesn't matter how much money you might have saved if you'd waited. If you had waited, the cheaper item might never have become available and then you'd have no item(s). I've seen things I paid more for go for less later on, but that doesn't bother me cause you never know whether the two in the bush are actually better than the one in hand. ;) They might be cheaper, but they could also have flaws that the one you have doesn't.

I'n not sure if given the choice I'd go for two in the bush or one in the hand; but that aside, you are right. Often those fantastic sales, looking closer are limited amounts. Besides, many of the decks we are attracted to aren't available even affordably at the drop of a hat. You're right, if it can be afforded at the time of purchase, then the price must be right.

Narwhallove

I REALLY try not to let this get to me. There are always cheaper bargains somewhere else if you'd looked hard enough! Or wait long enough! So why fret ... I'm with Carla and rwcarter on this. I also try not to let myself agonize over decks I could have gotten but didn't. Each deck will have its time.

Plus, there are some decks that are just expensive, anyway you look at it. I've been looking over the sparkly Illuminated Tarot, but am struggling to justify $500 (nearly my half of monthly rent!) for an RWS. Am I going to regret getting it? Probably. Am I going to regret not getting it? Probably.

Padma

well, there is an old saying - "Things are only worth what you are willing to pay" i.e., if it's worth having, and you want it, and you buy it, and it makes you happy to have it, then whatever you pay for it will be a fair price...getting it cheaply is just the icing on the cake! lol ;)

Bhavana

well, there is an old saying - "Things are only worth what you are willing to pay" i.e., if it's worth having, and you want it, and you buy it, and it makes you happy to have it, then whatever you pay for it will be a fair price...getting it cheaply is just the icing on the cake! lol ;)

this is true - BUT, some people don't think that way. They pay a price that is really too high for them, out of their budget, but it is because of a lack of self control or poor impulse control....so they may be willing to pay a certain price, but only because they want the end means - the deck in their hands. Usually once they have it, it doesn't seem so worth it anymore, or maybe the real thrill was the fact that they really shouldn't have been spending so much. Then the guilt comes in. Does that make sense? The way I see it, if you can really afford something, you buy it, and don't think about it or worry about it after the fact. It's not an issue.

There is a some major psychology in shopping!

Stark Raven

Lol;

If there's a psychology to shopping, then they best lock me up and throw away the key! Only joking; any lessons on restraint in that area on my part are long in the past. But seriously, I have never seen or heard reference to this and still truly believe that some people's impulse buying is spurred by 'the thrill of the kill' or 'tabu'. Interesting point Bhavana.

Bhavana

Lol;

If there's a psychology to shopping, then they best lock me up and throw away the key! Only joking; any lessons on restraint in that area on my part are long in the past. But seriously, I have never seen or heard reference to this and still truly believe that some people's impulse buying is spurred by 'the thrill of the kill' or 'tabu'. Interesting point Bhavana.

Well, I am sure we all know some people who have gotten into major financial trouble due to spending more than they can afford - it can happen to anyone, but it seems to happen to some people over and over, and I think that in those cases, it has less to do with actually needing the things they buy, and more to do with thinking that those things will make them feel fulfilled. It's an addiction, just like any other addiction. I've suffered a little from it myself - and there is a need to keep spending, because you feel that acquiring all the "stuff" will make you feel better. But it doesn't. Once you get the "stuff", you are just looking for the next thing to buy. And pretty soon, you are in a really deep hole that you can't get out of without help.

Of course, there is a big difference between being that far gone, and feeling a little guilt over paying a higher price for something because you didn't want to wait or shop around for a lower price - like anything else, it is about moderation, and how your spending affects your life. If you can't pay your regular bills, have credit collectors calling you night and day, and are about to have your car impounded, then you might have a serious problem! If you occasionally get excited about an item and spend full price for it, then that is no big deal.

Padma

this is true - BUT, some people don't think that way. They pay a price that is really too high for them, out of their budget, but it is because of a lack of self control or poor impulse control....so they may be willing to pay a certain price, but only because they want the end means - the deck in their hands. Usually once they have it, it doesn't seem so worth it anymore, or maybe the real thrill was the fact that they really shouldn't have been spending so much. Then the guilt comes in. Does that make sense? The way I see it, if you can really afford something, you buy it, and don't think about it or worry about it after the fact. It's not an issue.

There is a some major psychology in shopping!

Agree! There is certainly a LOT of psychological aspects to shopping - it certainly has lead to an overabundance of available material goods on the planet! Lol...yes, I totally get what you are saying, Bhavana.

I guess, because I don't have the means or the budget or the available credit to go for the big kill thrills, I tend to stick within my available means...I can't imagine spending $500 for a deck...but! That is *just me* and as I don't have the means, I don't collect more than the easily available decks, and I have to ration myself even then! I DO see how poor impulse control could lead one to many major financial headaches...kind of what the banks are trading on, yes? ;p

Stark Raven

...to go for the big kill thrills...

That's intense Lotus Padma. The most I have spent on a deck to date is $80.00 and I thought at the time that was intense. Today it seems like no biggie. A 'big kill' - it certainly is not! Lol. I like the term and shall plan such a safari in my future at a time when finances are good...