Court Cards as People or Concepts?

Quizeen

I find that I'm tending to view court cards more as concepts or personalities that can be applied to any person regardless of age, gender, or other physical qualities. Yet, whenever I get hung up with a reading and seek out information, most of the resources I check seem to place a lot of weight on identifying the gender of the court card with the folks in their life about whom they are reading.

Since I still consider myself to be quite the neophyte, I was wondering how much emphasis those of you who are more experienced put upon the outward aspects of the court cards.

cybercat

I think alot has to do with what you are pulling from the card itself. Most of the time a court card will repersent a person or their personality. Then sometimes it will have nothing at all to do with either. My last reading with the queen of pentacles reversed was like that in that it showed reaveled money. Two days later that came about in the way of past wages being found that were lost.

I too like many used to get hung up on the book stuff. Best way to break it forget them try a reading by looking at them and See what pops out in a card. Make notes of what you get ideas about. You might be surprised on how right you are even though it has nothing to do with a book def.

One does not learn tarot, it's more of a awakening to other views and insites.

rcb30872

cybercat said:
See what pops out in a card. Make notes of what you get ideas about. You might be surprised on how right you are even though it has nothing to do with a book def.
Exactly. I tend to go more along the lines of not necessarily a particular person, but tend to look at what the characteristics is associated with the particular court card, and then base my decision to see if that is in relation to a person, or a different person, or a situation. It varies from reading to reading, nothing is set in stone.

Very good point, I had a page come up for someone who was in their 40's, the page did reflect the immaturity of that person, but did not reflect the chronological age. Also, you can have a Queen be associated with a male, and a Knight and King associated with a female. Just because it is a male or female card, doesn't mean that the person it is referring to is going to be that sex!

I tend to look at more at the characteristics and qualities more than anything, like I said at the beginning ;)

LadySquee

I am glad someone brought this up - I was just about to make a thread about it.

The Court cards have been the most difficult cards for me to deal with. I find everything else flows easily for me except these Court cards! They drive me nuts. I firstly try to project them as concepts rather than people, and sometimes it works but it's still hard for me. For some reason, I just can't depict them as people. I personally feel that when you predict an actual person is supposed to come into the querent's life, that is a big prediction, almost like saying someone will die, partly because that is such a direct prediction. I feel like there's a lot of pressure on that, and I don't know why.

I have been so close to taking the Court cards out of my deck, but that would be silly.

Any advice for me?

Aladdin

Lady Squee,
i agree that it would be silly to take court cards out of the pack as have found they can be handles onto areas of life not easily represented by the here and now powerful major arcana. Also, by the perhaps to happen minor arcana - often these cards can indicate a flux or bridge between these two realms.
Have heard of some readers removing D,D,T from the pack as if the querrent is or should be sanitised from the gruntings of reality. Surely this is wrong ?!
Some time ago i wnt to see an elderly lady who kept all her cards face down and never showed any young female clients DDT lest these images deeply desturb them ! In my opinion such things should have been explained in a non 'mumbo-jumbo' or disturbing way. My response was that after 12 years with a very large educational establishment very little on earth could deeply shock me anymore. Don't think this was well received, stoney silence and no stamps ; never went back again. Moral of story was to follow ones very own Judgement, i now think.

Quizeen

Thank you all for the info. I suspected that just going with my gut and a general notion of characteristics rather than a concrete person was best. It's funny though, the reading that I based this thread on was in regard to a small gathering I was going to host that evening. I'm a bit shy and don't often have parties on my own. Contrarily, my husband is much more outgoing, but as this was a women's gaming party, he "wasn't invited," so to speak. I drew the King of Pents as an advice card about keeping things fun. I thought that this meant that I should behave in that manner. Of course, by the end of the evening my husband had commandeered the event, inviting a lot more people over and turning the night into a much bigger party than I'd planned (this was all good, though). I guess he really was the King of Pents.

rcb30872

LadySquee said:
I am glad someone brought this up - I was just about to make a thread about it.

The Court cards have been the most difficult cards for me to deal with. I find everything else flows easily for me except these Court cards! They drive me nuts. I firstly try to project them as concepts rather than people, and sometimes it works but it's still hard for me. For some reason, I just can't depict them as people. I personally feel that when you predict an actual person is supposed to come into the querent's life, that is a big prediction, almost like saying someone will die, partly because that is such a direct prediction. I feel like there's a lot of pressure on that, and I don't know why.

I have been so close to taking the Court cards out of my deck, but that would be silly.

Any advice for me?
Yeah, I know, I have had someone predict me that a particular person will come in to my life, well, based on the physical qualities given to me, such as hair colour and eye colour, makes me see everyone fits that description as being potentially them. Sometimes I wish I was never told this, because, well, you know..... You might look for it, when it is not there, they are not the person, but they have the characteristics of the said person that you are supposed to meet and is supposed to have a huge impact on your life. I am not sure if I am right in assuming this, but I have basically given up on the notion that this is ever going to come about. Like how long is one supposed to wait for this to happen, it has been years ago since I have been told this, but at the same time I have been told this from more than one person, I think.

I really don't like predictive type readings. I would rather wait and see, let it be a surprise, because if it doesn't happen, you won't be disappointed, because you never knew in the first place.

SpiritOfTheDogz

I sort of cheat a bit with court cards, if a queen or king was to come up when the situation called for a page I would do the reading as though it were a page, and vise versa. I haven't been doing it long enough to know how well it works.