Cranky and ranting: the Wheel of Change Tarot

firemaiden

ncefafn said:
Thanks, Firemaiden. I kinda suspected that's what was going on, but wasn't sure. It does make me wonder if there ever has been or ever will be a conservative, Rush Limbaugh-kinda Tarot:

Burn the forests
Kill the little deer and bunny rabbits
Save the white man
Get a job!

;)

Kim

I don't know if ncefafn is around to read this anymore, but that has to have been one of the funniest posts of all time...

SolSionnach

I found this thread linked from another post, and I just wanted to say re: WoC, that I believe that Genetti is/was a Reclaiming Witch, that she lives off the grid in Northern California, and her political agenda with this deck comes straight out of who she is. I can see where it would be irritating to someone who was raised with that agenda, but as someone who was raised with a decidedly different take on the world, I found it refreshing to receive a deck with this kind of agenda.

But I still find the faces of the people to be very poorly drawn. :(

firemaiden

Wow, you revived the thread for me. I haven't thought about this deck in ages, but re-reading it, it makes me angry all over again HAHAHAHAH. I just get this sanctimonious "more PC than thou" white-girl-in-dreadlocks-and-combat-boots vibe. LOL.

Signed: She Who Fights for the Right of Women to be Sex Objects if they Damn Well Choose, She for whom Electric Guitars are a Crime against Ears, She who was Done with Granola by the End of Fourth Grade.

Alamaris

firemaiden said:
Signed: She Who Fights for the Right of Women to be Sex Objects if they Damn Well Choose, She for whom Electric Guitars are a Crime against Ears, She who was Done with Granola by the End of Fourth Grade.
I...I wish there was a way to give you an award for this sentence. *holy choir starts up*

Promise

firemaiden,

THAT just made you my hero.

I just spit Diet Pepsi everywhere, much to the cat's dismay.

I think I love you now.

Grizabella

firemaiden said:
Wow, you revived the thread for me. I haven't thought about this deck in ages, but re-reading it, it makes me angry all over again HAHAHAHAH. I just get this sanctimonious "more PC than thou" white-girl-in-dreadlocks-and-combat-boots vibe. LOL.

Wouldn't surprise me. They're all over the place on the west coast.

No offense to any of them who might be reading this. :rolleyes:

What grated like fingernails on a chalkboard for me about the deck was the mixtures of art. The nice scenes of planting gardens and native peoples would suddenly give way to flaming guitars in outer space. I could have handled one or the other---all nice landscapes and peoplescapes or all flaming guitar type stuff----the flaming guitar type stuff and I wouldn't have bothered in the first place or the nice other stuff I might have tried using the deck.

But that's what did it for me. I took one look at the book and didn't bother about it.

SunChariot

I adore my Wheel of Change. It was my second deck and I love the artwork, the symbolism I see in it and even the book meanings which I read at the time seem beautiful to me. I just. personally, don't see anything abrasive of negative in it in anyway. It's always been pure joy to me. Just used it this week actually. But of course each of us is an individual with different tastes.

I think we're all just compatible with some decks and not with others, and which ones differs from person to person. I think that this is not likely your deck, whether or not the colours appeal to you, most of the rest of it doesn't. You can't make yourself like it. It might be best to put it away, or give it away and move onto other decks.

Babs

6 Haunted Days

SunChariot said:
I adore my Wheel of Change. It was my second deck and I love the artwork, the symbolism I see in it and even the book meanings which I read at the time seem beautiful to me. I just. personally, don't see anything abrasive of negative in it in anyway. It's always been pure joy to me. Just used it this week actually. But of course each of us is an individual with different tastes.

I think we're all just compatible with some decks and not with others, and which ones differs from person to person. I think that this is not likely your deck, whether or not the colours appeal to you, most of the rest of it doesn't. You can't make yourself like it. It might be best to put it away, or give it away and move onto other decks.

Babs

Same here, I just love this deck and really love this book! I don't see her being annoying and pushing an agenda down your throat. I mean you get the set, chances are you think on the same lines as her views etc. I read this thread after I ordered the set and thought "Oh no!" I thought it was going to be irritating, rude and whiny like the Waking the Wild Spirit book by Palin, now that was one condescending annoying book.

I don't see that same attitude and bad writing here whatsoever. And believe me, granola tree hugger types bug the hell outta me.

To me this is a stunning deck with intense images with many layers of meaning, with a book written in a poetic way, with passion and heart. There are, imo, much much worse books out there.

Obviously it's something very personal, the huge irritating dislike of the book.

As far as the complaints about the badly drawn faces or whatever the issue was here's something to ponder......

"In beauty, that of favour, is more than that of colour; and that of decent and gracious motion, more than that of favour. That is the best part of beauty, which a picture cannot express; no, nor the first sight of the life. There is no excellent beauty, that hath not some strangeness in the proportion. A man cannot tell whether Apelles, or Albert Durer, were the more trifler; whereof the one, would make a personage by geometrical proportions; the other, by taking the best parts out of divers faces, to make one excellent."

Francis Bacon (1561-1626)

personal aside removed

magpie9

6 Haunted Days said:
As far as the complaints about the badly drawn faces or whatever the issue was here's something to ponder......

"In beauty, that of favour, is more than that of colour; and that of decent and gracious motion, more than that of favour. That is the best part of beauty, which a picture cannot express; no, nor the first sight of the life. There is no excellent beauty, that hath not some strangeness in the proportion. A man cannot tell whether Apelles, or Albert Durer, were the

:rolleyes: Bad Art is Bad Art, Bacon (& Sausage) aside. We're not talking about some non-pretty girl with a great personality or grace in every movement; we're talking about badly drawn FACES, in a deck where most of the Art is very well done.

Shade

SunChariot said:
personally, don't see anything abrasive of negative in it in anyway. It's always been pure joy to me. Just used it this week actually. But of course each of us is an individual with different tastes.

Babs

I'm so with you, I enjoy this deck but I think I wouldn't have a problem with her particular agendas. Having done ritual with the Reclaiming tradition myself I have had good experiences with them and see some of that in this deck. My biggest challenge with them was consensus based decision making... it wore me down - but I do see the value in it. Similarly there are a few concepts in the deck that may seem extreme but I see their value.

I do understand being irritated with a deck's political undertones. I cannot get past the Barbara Wlaker tarot's obsession with victimhood - it's maddening (though not as bad as Walker's I Ching of the Goddess).