Crowley biographies. Just read Sutin...

graspee

I don't think putting it down then picking it back up later will make much difference, since Crowley's life was basically a picaresque series of episodes.

If anyone finds it heavy going then I would suggest not reading it as fast, or reading it for not as long, then maybe it will sink in more. I personally don't read biographies at the same speed as I read a novel for example.

I have just re-read the Paris Working in both Sutin and Perdurabo and it's funny actually, there are details in each account that are missing in the other. I can see what you mean, kind of, about the heavy going of the magick bits in Perdurabo. There are several words used in the account in Perdurabo which aren't explained; Sutin uses some of those same words, but explains them in brackets.

I was surprised actually, that in this case, there isn't a difference in the "magickyness" of the two accounts; I certainly think that Sutin presents a more readable account of the goings on and seems to explain more: not just the meanings of words, but the reasons why certain things happened and were done in a certain way; He also ties everything together and explains the mystical stuff around the word "kratos" in clear terms, which Perdurabo doesn't, at all.

On the whole I would say Sutin's account of the Paris Workings is more readable, makes more sense and is more accessible than the one in Perdurabo. The latter account is still good and contains details not in Sutin (but misses some out too).

If you're finding the more magick-related portions of Perdurabo heavy going then I would urge you not to be embarrassed about just reading them and letting it all wash over you without being too concerned about what exactly is going on. I don't see a need to understand exactly why everything is the way it is, unless you're thinking of recreating the ritual. A lot of magick rituals are very personal anyway; If you look up the colours, metals and so on that they used for those rituals in the tables in 777 you'll find they don't all correspond.

In fact if you really want to be totally confused and/or have your mind blown, google Liber 415 and read the full account of the workings by Crowley himself- the source for most of the details in both accounts.

Le Fanu

graspee, I agree with everything you say. It's funny, I have to say, that I found the account of the Paris Workings in Sutin absolutely fascinating. I knew nothing about it and it was probably the section of the book - alongside Cefalú - which most made an impression on me. Interesting exercise to read both accounts as they really are very different.

I genuinely think that - contrary to what has been said about Perdurabo - you do need to know about magick. if you don't (as I don't) then it's quite heavy going. The fact that Sutin is criticised for not giving enough info about Crowley's Magick means that the book as a whole is more accessible.

I would sum the two up as; Perdurabo; thorough and not always readable, Sutin, not so thorough but more readable.

I am struck by just how much of these visions and magick and incredible divine experiences of him and his cronies was, in all likelihood, simply drugs. This is at the back of my mind all the time I am reading. Nothing miraculous, nothing transcendental. Simply opium-soaked ramblings which - coming from an accutely intellectual mind - can easily sound profound. I think he really liked his women drugged up to the eyeballs and rambling prophecies. That was a surefire way to be elevated to a pedestal and be enshrined as "Scarlet."

graspee

I am struck by just how much of these visions and magick and incredible divine experiences of him and his cronies was, in all likelihood, simply drugs. This is at the back of my mind all the time I am reading. Nothing miraculous, nothing transcendental. Simply opium-soaked ramblings which - coming from an accutely intellectual mind - can easily sound profound.

I feel that to write things off as "simply drugs" is a mistake. Also I feel that maybe you're thinking that if there are no such things as external, real, gods like Jupiter or Hermes then Crowley has been proved wrong; This is not the case.

In "Magick in Theory and Practice" I think it is, Crowley says that the forces may be external forces, or they may just be aspect of the magician, but in either case, the effect is the same so it doesn't matter. On I think pretty much his deathbed, he said to someone (again sorry I can't find the quote right now, I did try), something like "You know, magick is something we do to ourselves", which supports the "aspects of the magician" theory.

As for "simply drugs": Certain drugs alter consciousnous and the way we perceive things. As a child of the Victorian era Crowley was well aware that there was more out there then we were aware of. He was born into the busy and scientific Victorian era and his life ended shortly after the beginning of the atomic age. In Magick in Theory and Practice he talks about the many energies and vibrations that exist of which we aren't aware yet. LSD, to take an example, is known to in some way remove filters that exist on our perception so we are perhaps seeing and hearing things more the way they truly are than normal.

It's all something to think about, anyway.

Le Fanu

What I find interesting (and yes, I agree with you. I was being rash perhaps) is how he only really finds certain women truly interesting when they start "muttering" things that make him prick his ears up. This episode repeats itself throughout his life. I am thinking (in particular) of that episode with Roddie Minor "The Camel" (p 322) and how during opium-smoking she starts "muttering" whilst lying on the floor. Only then does he really start pricking his ears up and only then does she become enshrined in his life as an "interesting" female, only after it stops being mere "babbling" (Kaczynski's words). Would it be wrong to say that the truly significant moments in his life happen after drugs? Maybe it's because barriers are broken down, maybe it's not.

(And irrelevant perhaps;) I think there's also a lot of the Victorian hangover of how women were seen; as muses, as idols, as perverse. He likes his women with the faces of angels but whorish, women without social constraints (and drugs help with this). I've just been pondering who the significant women were in his life - and how women were always responsible for his spiritual epiphanies - and why they were significant.

Laura Borealis

Thanks for that, fyreflye.

"John Symonds’s early and sceptical biography The Great Beast (1951) remains a classic, and is perhaps the only one with literary value in its own right..."

That sounds like the one for me, then :p Call me shallow but the mass of detail in Perdurabo doesn't appeal.

Aeon418

That sounds like the one for me, then :p Call me shallow but the mass of detail in Perdurabo doesn't appeal.
But at least the detail in Perdurabo is factual. ;)

Symonds, The Great Beast, really does have "literary value in its own right" because while it might fall short when it comes to facts and information it is "entertaining" in the same way that sleezey tabloid newspapers are.

Laura Borealis

Yeah, on second thought, I don't need to be reading that. :p

Aeon418

Yeah, on second thought, I don't need to be reading that. :p
The new biography by Tobias Churton might be what you are looking for. It's not as thorough and detailed as Kaczynski's effort but it is more reader-friendly.

gregory

But at least the detail in Perdurabo is factual. ;)
Is it EVER. :) - like trying to read an encyclopaedia (I FINALLY finished it...)

Symonds, The Great Beast, really does have "literary value in its own right" because while it might fall short when it comes to facts and information it is "entertaining" in the same way that sleezey tabloid newspapers are.
I do think (as I have said MANY times) that's rather unfair. I didn't find it at all sleazy. I'll admit it hasn't the detail of Perdurabo - but as I have also said MANY times, I think Perdurabo goes too far in the other direction and a LOT more should have been in footnotes...(I am also troubled by one "fact" in there, but that is for another day - I am now in recuperation mode...)