Crowley's sex magic

BrightEye

What is it? I frequently see it referred to - also that C. was kind of obsessed with sex. But what exactly is sex magic?

Alissa

I should begin this post by admitting immediately that I can only answer th efirst half of your question ("What is it?") and not Crowley's use (or abuse) of it.

Sex magic is used by several religions - in Tantra (what I am familiar with), we are taught that with the mindful unification of the male and female force (not just their genitals) a greater power for both to experience is released. Yes, I've practiced it - alone (yes you can practice by yourself) and with my spouse. Yes, it works if you treat it seriously and practice the meditations mindfully, you will notice your sex life (esp. your orgasms) changing.

There are many different kinds of meditations, as well as practices, in order to tap into this source inside us. Some folks have heard of ejaculation control and other methods, to build and control sexual energy within the self, but in my opinion (from the reading I've done) the emphasis on retention of fluid and delay of gratification is over-emphasized in current thought. The oldest (left-hand) Hindu traditions do not emphasize these practices - it's my belief they may have originated from early Chinese philosophy.

Older sex magic traditions are linked to the Isis/Osiris mythology of the ancient Egyptians as well - these I only know of in passing, but cannot speak on myself.

Books I would recommend:

On Tantric philosophy:
- Desire: the Tantric Path to Awakening by Daniel Odier. Instructs a new reader to the basic Tantric concepts, including that ITS NOT JUST SEX, and that the power of Desire is far more potent a spiritual source (as opposed to just "lust"). Emphasis on the singular practice of Tantra, as opposed to couples-only materials.

-Tantric Visions of the Divine Feminine: the 10 Mahavidyas by David Kinsley. Kinda dry reading, very analytical, but examines the faces of the female sources of power in both Hindu and Buddhist religion (Kali and Tara are discussed first, after that are dieties most Western readers don't know of).

On Tantric practices (or, what can me and my beloved do together?):

-Tantric Love by Ma Ananda Sarita.... You really have to get past the New Age nonsense here and the goofy pictures of our naked couple in this book, and see past the cover to the content. It's full of very good exercises to enhance a couple's ability to connect, and the exercises really will change your sex life, including your orgasms (if you can't wait, go straight to the "Khajuraho meditation" and start practicing with your beloved, but don't expect instant results, it takes a few weeks of regular couples-meditation practice so be good about keeping up with it often).

On all around Tantric info:

- Complete Idiot's Guide to Tantric Sex - my hubby's favorite, a typical "Idio'ts Guide" in that it gives lots of small information from all over, but nothing helpful (meditations, etc) to those who wish to devote themselves to the practice.

On Sacred Sexuality:

- Sacred Sexuality by AT Mann - Pretty book, examines the sacred practices of sex magic in many cultures around the world, with pictures othe culture's art, scultpures, etc. that celebrate the traditions.

- Sacred Sexuality in Ancient Egypt - Haven't read this one yet, I must admit. I bought it years ago and then never got around to reading it, but if you wanted a title relevant to Egypt....

As for Crowley's own involvement, I'm afraid I'm too ignorant to answer. By reputation, I've heard Crowley abused sex magic practices to coerce others into bed for his own personal gratification. But I have no idea if that's true, and I've not studied Crowley (yet) in my life.

Abrac

I read in, The Great Beast - The Life and Magick of Aleister Crowley, that Crowley used sex and alchohol to get his medium, Mary d'Este Sturges, into a "receptive state." His sessions with her in 1911 resulted in communication with the entity Ab-ul-Diz, who Crowley believed was instructing him to write Book Four.

-fof

BrightEye

Alissa, thanks for all that indepth information, but I was interested in Crowley's own take on it. I didn't know there was so much stuff independent of that.

fools_fool, I'm not surprised to hear that.

Does anyone know anything about the significance of the Thoth tarot in relations to Crowley's sex magic?

ravenest

BrightEye said:
Does anyone know anything about the significance of the Thoth tarot in relations to Crowley's sex magic?

Thoth tarot is full of references to AC's magical systems, including 'sex magick'. Look at the symbols on the cards particularly those of the lion and eagle and how they change colour and position, cross reference that to alchemical symbolism. They are not the only symbols, but we wouldn't want to spoil the fun of you finding out yourself and experimenting :)

I agree with Alissa's coments on rentention above and think that is an entirely different system to AC's, his was alchemical (extrenally as well as internally). Also have a look at Ch. 69 in Crowley's 'Book of Lies' and De Art Magica.

I feel that the rentention system seems somehow caught up with the idea that ejaculation causes energy loss and visa versa. However it can be shown that this is not always the case and the opposite can be true. Its all about focus and where the energy goes.

On a simple level, the most amazing, magical and god-like thing we can do is create another being. Imagine the magical energies that come into play during that process, one idea is to harness that energy and use it to other ends.

There are some interesting posts that mention the subject scattered around here with comments that are quiet thought provoking.

I believe that AC's system is still a work in progress, and as he stated in his writings, will become more accomplished, the more we find out and research this and other sciences.

[It ain't no big secret really, the subject matter - the 'secret' according to AC is the correct application of the energy invoked.]

I like to compare these preocesses to what is going on in stem stell research and its regenerative processes.

BrightEye

Oh yes, I keep finding lots of references in the deck.

At the moment I'm reading my way through the Book of Thoth. Is there anything else by Crowley you could suggest? I really want to get into his work, but don't really know where to start.

ZenMusic

Essential:

Crowley: The Book of Thoth

"777 And Other Qabalistic Writings" of Aleister Crowley
(this is one book that incorporates 3 books in 1)

For some insight into Thelema
The Law Is For All: The Authorized Popular Commentary of Liber Al Vel Legis Sub Figura CCXX, the Book of the Law

I found Dion Fortune's Mystical Qabalah to be a great boost in understanding how Qabalah/Tarot works
and I think it was
The Truth About the Tarot: A Manual of Practice and Theory by Gerald Suster

that gave insight into the use of the 777 book...

catlin

@Alissa: Thanks for all the book suggestions, I am pretty sure to find something for me, LOL

I think sex magick has a lot to do with raising and using the Kundalini energy.

BrightEye

ZenMusic said:
777 And Other Qabalistic Writings of Aleister Crowley
Is this one book or do you mean 777 as well as other of his writings? If the latter, what are they?

What about the Book of Lies?