Crystal GODS?

SweetLove14

Hi im going to be selling crystals soon. Is there a god/dess of crystals I an work with? Irish pantheon realy inspires me. But id like to know if anyone got any ideas!

Milfoil

I'm not aware of any specific 'God/Goddess' for crystals. I dare say there are crystals which may have been ascribed a link to some deities but I don't personally know which they are or how valid such (if any) links would be.

blackroseivy

There are the Mayan crystal skulls, of course - but if you are looking for something Celtic, I know that there are associations but not any 1 specific deity - & associations tend to be Classical in origin for the greater part, like birth-stones for the various months.

Chronata

I know that in the Greek Pantheon Hades and Persephone...being the chiefs of the Underworld are also the guardians on precious metals and stones...including all crystals.
I have a little bag decorated with Persephone that houses my favorite stones!

inanna_tarot

Whilst not a researched idea for you.. I always think of Aengus Og for the crystals and metals. He is the god of love, but also he was brought to earth in one day, and his kingdom is Newgrange - so he lives in the darkness all year. Plus now newgrange is covered in quartz crystals so that adds that part to him.

Maybe you could play with the deities and your crystals till something fits for you?

blackroseivy

Wow, that is interesting about Aengass, inanna - thanx for that! ;)

Dain

Hi,
I don't think there's any particular god or goddess or other "guardian" of crystals in Greek myths, but I remember a Russian fairytale about the "Malachite Goddess" whose name was, sometimes, "Sinyoushka".

M. Bazhov wrote an entire book of interlinked fairy tales from the Ural Mountains, based on real tales miners in the Urals used to tell.
The Malachite Goddess appeared as a young girl, or an old witch, or an enchanting sorceress depending on who it was that met her, a man usually, and how he behaved.
She could be playful or bestow gifts (like having a man who had fallen in love with her meet and marry a girl who looked exactly like herself, so the man and girl lived happily ever after) but could be very dangerous too.
She wasn't only a guardian of malachite but a protector of the earth, of rocks, and crystals and gemstones. She also had an affinity with the moon and she usually appeared at night dressed in greenish blue.
I've read she was based on a much older deity, protector of the Urals.

"Sinyoushka's Well" was the only fairytale I had read translated in Greek when I was a kid and loved it because it was so magical and mysterious.

There's an English edition available with all the tales "The Malachite Casket/Tales from the Urals" (which I bought and read in one sitting a few years ago) but maybe you'd also like to check the links below as they have some info, and more links, about the Lore of gemstones and crystals.

http://www.mythinglinks.org/ct~landscape~minerals~malachite.html

http://www.endicott-studio.com/rdrm/rrGemstones.html

http://www.sunbirds.com/lacquer/readings/1138 (Outline of Sinyoushka's Well.)

Hope this helps. :)

inanna_tarot

I just like to think of opening a geode or finding crystals in a mine, like that shaft of light that plunges the dark depths of the Newgrange site.
When I look at a crystal I like to think of it in its natural state, and that moment it was 'discovered' by man, the first rays of light that shine through the crystal, imagining how the crystal much feel for the first time in its life to experience the sun...

So thats why I think of Aengus Og. And because of the wonky time thing, Takes thousands of years to form a crystal, yet it takes one day for it to be discovered and given 'birth' to the life up top and its path to healing and helping mother earths creatures :)

SweetLove14

wow

thank you soo much for this vaulable information :)

Violetgems

The Celtic goddess Epona. Horses and crystals are her beautiful "bag". :)