David Beckham as The Devil?

gypsiejones71

Hi all. I went to an art exhibition yesterday called Outrageous Fortunes. 78 different artists were given the task of remaking a card from the Tarot. None of the artists were particularly familiar with the Tarot but all did a degree of research into the meanings from the Marseilles deck.
One artist's depiction & interpretation of The Devil was a big glossy photo of David Beckham in one of his best, eye-piercing stares!
Will be interested to know anyone's opinion of this!!?

Minotauro

well , the devil is suposed to be about temptation , so I love to se hot steamy devils ;)
that rider waite thing is so not tempting , who would want to have anything to do with him?

but that's about it.

I think th artist was just lazy , or maybe he wanted to paint beckham or I dont know , it isnt all that great but oh well.

gypsiejones71

Hmmmm. interesting idea!!
One thing to point out though - talking about lazy art - the card was an actual photo, not a painting / drawing. Isn't this cheating?? (Not to offend artists that present their work through the mediuam of photography...)
I am wondering if the artist took the materialism facet of The Devil...
I'm also trying to think of how I'd feel if the card popped up in a reading. It could take a while to get used to the association of Beckham with The Devil!!

Sulis

Well David Beckham is paid very highly and he and his family are massively wealthy so maybe the depiction is of materialism which is an aspect of The Devil. He's also viewed as a sex symbol so that gives you another aspect of The Devil.
I think it's a thoughtful choice and wouldn't call it 'lazy art' at all, especially without seeing the exhibition myself.

gregory

Makes sense to me too. (The Spill Tarot was photographic, too.)

I must see this. *makes note of tour dates*

PAMUYA

David Beckham as the Devil...yes! The artist felt that he brought out the devil in them. The only problem for me when using celebrities is that I and most people have preconceived thoughts about them and their personalities that will differ from one another. I wouldn't consider reading with a deck like that.

gypsiejones71

Well David Beckham is paid very highly and he and his family are massively wealthy so maybe the depiction is of materialism which is an aspect of The Devil. He's also viewed as a sex symbol so that gives you another aspect of The Devil.
I think it's a thoughtful choice and wouldn't call it 'lazy art' at all, especially without seeing the exhibition myself.

It's certainly very thought provoking if nothing else! The exibition is Outrageous fortune: Artists remake the tarot. If you get a chance to see it I would check it out.

gregory

It's coming to the UK - to the Hayward and to Manchester at least. I shall see it. I MUST :D

Elendil

I also read that there will be a limited number of 1000 decks made from the art-work to be given away to 'recipients nominated by the artists'. The exhibition arrives in Manchester of January 14th.

Now how do you suppose one gets to be nominated for a deck?

DownUnderNZer

David Beckham does nothing for me...but if a few other celebreties were up there instead...like Orlando Bloom, Christian Slater, Brad Pitt, Nick Kamen, Will Smith, Antonio Banderas, ( deep breath....exhale), SMAP, Denzil Washington, Mel Gibson (younger days), Vincent Valentino, Johnny Depp, Stan Walker, Corey F, Chris D, Ricky Martin, that guy on AHA, John Taylor, Bruce Lee, David Bowie, Richard C then I would get the attraction of the DEVIL for sure. :D :D :D PS Cant name anymore as fingers are hurting.