Deck of Shadows

SGrossberg

Thanks, all, for the kind comments, private messages, and email. Just a head's up that I will be discussing The Deck of Shadows and doing some entertaining, on-air readings using the deck tonight on Tanya Douglas' radio show, "Past Lives, Present Lessons."

For those of you who are FB users, here's the event link:

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=118157611558319&index=1

All others:

The call-in number: (989) 607-0391
Where: www.ztalkradio.com
Date &Time: May 25th ~ 9pm (EST) - 8pm (CST) - 7pm (MT) - 6pm (PST) and (UK 2am on May 26th)

Just some thoughts. Have a magical day. - Scott

Ashtaroot

That was an awesome Show !!!
and I got a reading from Scott woo hoo it was great
Thank you Scott :)

Ashtaroot

I am using it and loving it :)

greatdane

Scott, Great Job!

I haven't seen this question addressed in another post or thread and have to ask, where did you first come up with the idea for this deck? It's just so much different from any other oracle, I was wondering what first made you think to do it.

Blessings,
GD

SGrossberg

Thanks, all, for the kind comments and messages. As to the question, how did I come up with the deck, the answer is simple: I originally wanted something that would supplement, enhance, and deepen the Tarot readings I was already giving. Little did I know that "The Deck of Shadows" would end up being a stand-alone tool for focusing my own intuition and having a voice like no other. The words and the symbols on the cards were the most important for me in developing the deck. The classical paintings were added after the fact to round out the cards' mood - not to necessarily provide additional reading options.

The terrific thing I personally discovered about "The Deck of Shadows" is that it speaks on totally different levels. I can use the cards in one reading and focus on nothing more than the words and in the next reading use nothing more than the totems/symbols/icons at the bottom of each card. Towards the top, there are the pips and numbers of a standard playing card deck. So, "The Deck of Shadows" became a thing of insanely great flexibility.

The deck was originally designed by me, for me. After using it for some time and getting terrific feedback and requests, I made the decision to release it on a larger scale. I am truly honored that it has reached such a large and accepting audience.

I am in the process of putting together some new "reading" methods and layouts with "The Deck of Shadows." If any of you have any specific spreads or techniques you would like to share, please let me know.

All my best. - Scott

IheartTarot

Urim and Thummim

I know there is another thread on this deck but I am not clever enough to figure out which one I should post this question on. I hope this one will do!:D

My question is about the two "joker" cards Urim and Thummim. I know they are meant for yes or no questions, but I'm not sure if they should be included in the deck for a general reading that does not have a yes or no answer?

Any thoughts out there on this please?

SGrossberg

Let's start with the fact that I'm not too into the concept of "should" when it comes to rules for readings. I believe the best reading comes from a style that seamlessly fits your personality and therefore helps you to focus and recite your inner vision. A reading style/technique, for me, is something that assists, is congruent with, and is not the focus of the reading, itself.

Okay, enough of the soapbox.

When I read with The Deck of Shadows, I ALWAYS include the Urim and Thummim cards. For me these are more than mere "Joker" cards and, in fact, serve a purpose for more than just "yes or no" readings. In creating the cards, themselves, I was well aware of the various translations for these words - interpretations that are reflect on the other "words" that are displayed. Essentially, you will see a pattern; namely, Thummim can be used in a reading to represent "what is real" or "what is confirmed" or "what is beginning." Urim, then, can be used as "what is revealed/no longer hidden" or "what you need to know" or "what is ending." This allows these particular cards to serve as a sort of confirmation or rejection tool for the other cards.

To say it another way, if Thummim appears in a reading, it is an indication that the companion cards are, in fact, valid. If Urim appears, then a negative connotation (almost like a reversal) is indicated.

Now, here is something really exciting to try: during a reading, take the Thummim and Urim cards from the deck and hand them to the person receiving the reading. Have them place the two cards into the shuffled/mixed deck FACE-UP. Then spread the face-down deck and locate the two face-up cards. Take out the face-down card that is immediately above each face-up card. The face-down cards are turned over and read in conjunction with the face-up indicators. In other words, the card that is immediately above/next to Thummim is used to show what is just beginning. The card that is immediately above-next to Urim is used to show what is just ending.

Of course, any of the attributes for Thummim and Urim can be used in this way. I happen to use Thummim and Urim in a "What is Real/What is Not" reading.

Just some thoughts. Enjoy. - Scott

IheartTarot

SGrossberg said:
To say it another way, if Thummim appears in a reading, it is an indication that the companion cards are, in fact, valid. If Urim appears, then a negative connotation (almost like a reversal) is indicated.

Thanks Scott, this is all very helpful to me. I am using the DoS together with Tarot and not using Tarot reversals at the moment so this is an interesting technique. BTW I get Thummim more than I get Urim:)

Sorry, I meant no disrespect by "joker" just trying to differentiate them from the rest of the cards.

SGrossberg

;)

Again, use your imagination in utilizing the Thummim and Urim cards. They can actually be an integral part of the reading as they lend a certain "worldly" view to things.

morticia monroe

SGrossberg said:
Let's start with the fact that I'm not too into the concept of "should" when it comes to rules for readings. I believe the best reading comes from a style that seamlessly fits your personality and therefore helps you to focus and recite your inner vision. A reading style/technique, for me, is something that assists, is congruent with, and is not the focus of the reading, itself.

Okay, enough of the soapbox.

When I read with The Deck of Shadows, I ALWAYS include the Urim and Thummim cards. For me these are more than mere "Joker" cards and, in fact, serve a purpose for more than just "yes or no" readings. In creating the cards, themselves, I was well aware of the various translations for these words - interpretations that are reflect on the other "words" that are displayed. Essentially, you will see a pattern; namely, Thummim can be used in a reading to represent "what is real" or "what is confirmed" or "what is beginning." Urim, then, can be used as "what is revealed/no longer hidden" or "what you need to know" or "what is ending." This allows these particular cards to serve as a sort of confirmation or rejection tool for the other cards.

Now, here is something really exciting to try: during a reading, take the Thummim and Urim cards from the deck and hand them to the person receiving the reading. Have them place the two cards into the shuffled/mixed deck FACE-UP. Then spread the face-down deck and locate the two face-up cards. Take out the face-down card that is immediately above each face-up card. The face-down cards are turned over and read in conjunction with the face-up indicators. In other words, the card that is immediately above/next to Thummim is used to show what is just beginning. The card that is immediately above-next to Urim is used to show what is just ending.

Of course, any of the attributes for Thummim and Urim can be used in this way. I happen to use Thummim and Urim in a "What is Real/What is Not" reading.

Just some thoughts. Enjoy. - Scott

Excellent post. And I love that idea, I'll be using it. Thank you!