Deck Opinions

Fatima

Of those you mentioned, I'd say the Toth as it is one that will take you far in terms of learning and knowledge.
If I may, you don't seem to have any RWS in your collection... It is a good one to have for anybody serious about learning about Tarot... My opinion of course.

F.

HearthCricket

I have owned, or own, all of the decks you have listed. The Fey is fun, but full of bright colours and very futuristic-not at all like any of the faery oracles, so you may be disappointed if you are looking for a similar feel. I am not at all into the Thoth decks, so can't help you there. The Old Path is a nice deck, soft coloured and gentle. But I think the Legend is the best of the lot. The deck is very ornate, yet you get the mood and meaning of the card immediately. Soft colours, yet very detailed, nicely done, and great book. I am another vote for the Legend.

SunChariot

The only one I have in that list is the Thoth. My experiences would say it depends on how you read. I find the artwork beautiful--I always have.

I don't like "dark" things either. When I first got the deck (on E-Bay) it came with two books. So I read the books. I found the card meanings as given in the books excessively dark (pessimistic). I had a lot of trouble reading with the deck initially and that was a lot of the reason. Over a year it wouldn't work for me.

Then last month I was about to do a reading and I know I needed to use that deck. Something inside was telling me it had to be the Thoth. And I read with it as I usually do, intutively, and it read like a dream.

There was even a "dark" card in that reading that came up for me. It was rather depressing looking image, but it really helped me. As the reading was about something that was scaring me, why I was scared, how to get past it...when the card came up it felt immediately like a visual representation of how I was feeling. I could just sense something there under the surface/unconsciouly there that was at the root of the problem and working to put my feelings about the image in the card into words really helped a lot to see what was going in unconsciously surrounding the i\ssue.

So yes, to me I think it can be a great deck, depending on how you use it. Of course I prefer to read everything intuitively anyway. :grin:

For me now I find it an amazing intuitive deck. The imagery sparks all kinds of connections and thoughts, but in my experience (and I am sure many will disagree) it doesn't work well when I try to pay attention to the book meanings. I find them somewhat "distressing".

It's an intellegent little deck too, that card that came up was called "Indolence". I had to pull out a dictionary and look up what he word meant. LOL

Babs

fyreflye

Why do you want another deck?

blackstormhawk

fyreflye said:
Why do you want another deck?

I think the only proper response to that is "Why not?" ;)

(of course, I'm speaking as someone who is overrun with decks, so I might not be a good role model!!)

Razordance, if you like Faeries, although it's not a tarot deck, I would certainly look at the Froud Faerie Oracle. The cards are amazing!!!

I also really like the Revelations Tarot. The images are striking, and drawn to make reversals very easy to interpret.

Razordance

Hmm... I have to admit, when I posted this I was kind of leaning towards either the Old Path or the Fey Tarot. Based on the comments, I think I'm going to have to do some looking online and check out the Thoth and Arthurian decks a little more. I also think there's merit in the suggestion of the Rider deck, it certainly is a deck everyone should probably have, I just tend to be a person who likes to be out of the ordinary, and avoid the 'standard' of anything. :) I know there are a bunch of different versions of the RWS, is there anything I should know about them, or does it just come down to slight colour variations?

Umbrae

the Minetti fey is good, and the Thoth.

The Thoth gets as deep as you'd like to go - and will last a lifetime - if you allow it to...

a couple of the others are lovely superficial decks...

SunChariot

Razordance said:
Hmm... I have to admit, when I posted this I was kind of leaning towards either the Old Path or the Fey Tarot. Based on the comments, I think I'm going to have to do some looking online and check out the Thoth and Arthurian decks a little more. I also think there's merit in the suggestion of the Rider deck, it certainly is a deck everyone should probably have, I just tend to be a person who likes to be out of the ordinary, and avoid the 'standard' of anything. :) I know there are a bunch of different versions of the RWS, is there anything I should know about them, or does it just come down to slight colour variations?
IMHO, there's no reason you need a RWS if it doesn't call to you. I've never had one and don't intend to. The artwork doesn't do anything for me, and I read by analysing the artwork anyway. Just follow your heart. I does not need to be a deck that everyone should have. I am up to 24 decks now, and I don't feel any loss from not having one.

Babs

Edge

SunChariot said:
IMHO, there's no reason you need a RWS if it doesn't call to you.

I totally agree with this. Now about the considered decks, my vote is for Thoth!

Razordance

New options

Well, I'm still considering the Thoth and the Arthurian Legend decks. I have a copy of the Minute Tarot on the way, but there are now a couple more I'm seriously considering. One is the Witches Tarot, the other is the Tarot of St. Petersburg. Any more opinions?