Decks categories

tabi

RiccardoLS said:
I think that we should be aware we are discussing different topics at once.
1. categorize" decks or not? What does it "mean" to categorize deck.?
2. what categories should/could be done and why?

1) I always liked the way that AT has their decks categorize and cross-categorized, it makes it a lot easier to find what you want or a type of deck or artiest. However I'm glad it is you and not me to have to figure out which and what caegories.

2) There is huge difference of opinion on what fits where. I understand the need for separating Esoteric and Metephysical, but how do you define something as subjective as "Artistic" and "Historical". And what would be "Historical"? The TdM or anything that depicts anything cira 1900s? IE: Tarot of Jane Austen, who predates us by 100+ years.

Yet again better you then me however good luck!!! Just let us know if we should start a collect for a toupee after you've pulled out all of your hair. :joke: *ducks* :D

Le Fanu

tabi said:
And what would be "Historical"? The TdM or anything that depicts anything cira 1900s? IE: Tarot of Jane Austen, who predates us by 100+ years

I think the "historical" category is the easiest of all. Anything pre-Waite could be a useful yardstick. Something like the Jane Austen deck isnt at all historical as it isn´t an authentic deck from the time.

RiccardoLS

shaveling said:
The House of Tarot website has

I think that a categorization on a website (and therefore Database based, with references, searches, and cross references) has different feature than other kind of categorization.

BUT... It's very difficult for me to explain.
We can intend categorization in two different ways:
- categorization as "indexing".
- categorization as expression of diversity

Indexing is a way to label, organize or navigate a collection.
The House of Tarot website, for instance is simply organized around a *thematic* indexing, with the exception of the *beginner* section.
What I get, looking at the categorization, is a feeling that Tarot is "one" single source, mirrored through different themes. The *theme* is given to me as the main difference between decks. The *theme*, then, appears as the very substantial difference between deck and deck. Then, when you look at the individual deck, you look for quality and beauty. And it's all. And, in a way, both quality and beuty may be quantified, so that - give the subjective take of a person - you have a deck higher or lower than another in the same line.

This is one of the MAIN reason we didn't want a division in themes. It's easy, intuitive. But... in the end meaningless, but the convenience at browsing.
(Yep, that's important, but we are talking Tarot, not catalogues, aren't we? ^_^)

My take... and this is maybe a provocative assumption, is that Tarot is no longer a single entity. It works differently, and serves different needs, and different paths.
And decks (I really know this is definitely NOT the way Tarot is commonly perceived even here, and it's the true reason I consider this discussion important and interesting) are beginning to reflect that.
To quote a not LS deck, take the Transparent Tarot. It's GOOD, because when you use it, you embrace this difference in Tarot. And if you try to force fit the deck into the confortable established way to look at Tarot you will find a block.

I have no way to transmit this feeling... yet I hope that the *gallery-catalogue* (The one Aerin was talking about, may give a perception window on this molteplicty of Tarot path... something that is SO MUCH more than just a thematic indexing.

I have the same feeling when I write a booklet... what kind of meaning I will use?
And even if I assume my booklet is perfect (it isn't) I have to make a precise choice on the take I will be suggesting to the deck.
Well, maybe, with so many decks here... there are decks you use, decks you use for specifc needs, decks you study, decks that accompany you on a journey and not on another... and so on.
Categorization means indexing the different paths, much before indexing the different decks.

ric

Mariana

RiccardoLS said:
Categorization means indexing the different paths, much before indexing the different decks.
Fascinating.

Jewel

Riccardo in looking at the PDF page, all I have to say is that book looks gorgeous. I would not mind having something like that as a coffee table book! *LOL*. What a great idea to create a tool for sellers of tarot decks though, and I like the broad categorization. So is this book/selling aid going to be available to the general public? or is going to be used as a promotional aid with sellers of tarot decks? both? you guys not sure yet? Inquiring minds want to know :)

karenquilter

Jewel said:
...that book looks gorgeous. I would not mind having something like that as a coffee table book!... So is this book/selling aid going to be available to the general public?...you guys not sure yet? Inquiring minds want to know :)
I'd like to have a copy, too!

Essjay

karenquilter said:
I'd like to have a copy, too!

Me three - what a gorgeous book, a fantastic addition to a collection.

FaeryGodmother

I don't see any problem with categoristing decks- we have book genres after all. If anything I think having categories/ genres will stimulate more ideas for decks, attract new artists and creators and make it easier to find what your looking for. Having said, that heaps of books cross genres but we still understand whats meant by a 'romantic thriller' I don't see why the same wouldn't apply to tarot decks as well.

Great job Riccardo. :)