Decks that are dealing with death theme

Falcor

A certain post from facebook made me pondering about the subject. Which decks do really deal(well) with such a theme and/or dedicated to it?

When I say well I mean not sugar coating it but not horrifying it too much too. No matter if we want or not it's part of our lives. We read about every day in daily news. Sometimes it's far away and sometimes it's too close. Different cultures deal with it in many ways.

I would love to hear your opinions on the subject.

AJ

a Llewellyn publication was 4 books with short articles by well known tarot folk. The one that made a huge impression on how I use the cards was by Valerie Sim, on death.

To help her work out the grief of losing her mother, she did an exercise of pulling every card in the deck and relating it to death.
Of course she found it doable because a reading based on a subject will always give you grounds to work with.

Pick any subject, you can do the same thing. It is a wonderful way to make yourself open up beyond straight RWS keywords.

I don't think this was exactly what you were looking for but it is a valuable exercise :)

Nemia

Fabio Listrani's new deck deals with death, http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=264196

more specific, with Mexican folklore, belief and iconology about death. I don't know too much about it, but it seems a very interesting choice of deck theme, and one that confronts you on every card with death. As you said, we actually are confronted with death all the time, just push it back from our minds.

I don't have the deck (yet) but I find it interesting and I like also Listrani's first deck, Night Sun, which also deals with dark and usually suppressed aspects of our lives. His Death card is a pregnant woman.

It's a pity there is no Frida Kahlo deck (far as I know) because she's the artist who constantly worked on the topic of death in life, and her art really deals with it honestly and poetically.

From the decks I have, I think for a death-related reading, I'd either pick the above-mentioned NIght Sun, or the Wild Unknown with its stark and simple depiction of growth and decay, or simply a Tarot de Marseille. There, Death is really Death, influenced by medieval Dance of Death iconography, before we started sugarcoating it with our postmodern wish to turn it into Transition. Yes, it's a transition, and I wouldn't read it as crass harsh Death to a querent, but the old decks were made at a time when people dealt much more openly with Death. They had to.

Another deck that lends itself well to death-related readings is the Stretch tarot, I can't even tell you exactly why, but I think there's a gently macabre-melancholic streak running through this deck. And if it's only the fact that all the serious people on the photographs are dead and yet look at us as if they could tell us more about it.

I think Seven Stars has a Deck of the Death with beautiful Mannerist depictions of death, I've always wanted that deck. Mannerism and Baroque continued to develop the medieval Death theme but took it into a more polished, ironical or Classicizing direction. Looks like a great deck.

If you look at any deck, I think the Death card, 3 of Swords, 10 of Swords and also 4 of Swords can give you an indication how it deals with the topic. In all these Swords card, Death echoes more or less strongly, and they are the cards where an artist can express his/her concept of death, finality, termination.

Besides, I'd look at the Saturn cards: 7 Pentacles, 5 Wands, 3 Swords (as mentioned above), 10 Wands, 8 Cups; and the Scorpio cards, especially 5 of Cups (ruled by Mars and thus more difficult than the 6 and 7).

All these cards are indicators IMO how the author deals with near-death motifs.

PS: AJ is very right, that's a great idea.

FLizarraga

Off the top of my head:

Seven Star's Deck of the Dead
Santa Muerte Tarot (both mentioned by Nemia)
Zombie Tarot
All the vampire tarots, of which there are several (too many, perhaps), deal with death in some way or another.

A particularly interesting deck in this regard is the Bohemian Gothic in all its editions (my personal favorite is the 1st, but YMMV). It shows plenty of cadavers, bones, coffins, cemeteries, mummies, vampires, crypts, cerements, ghosts and so forth, but the whole thing sort of works as a meditation on Death. Understandably enough, it had bonus cards named Danse Macabre and Memento Mori.

Luna's Crone

I have both lukumi and tarot of the dead and neither strikes me as death decks, especially tarot of the dead, where death is a pregnant woman, Gaia, goddess, empress, whatever. That card sets the tone i think.

Luna's Crone

I do like Night Sun, but don't have it. so i can't say. my favorite card so far in that deck is strength. Its so powerful in many ways.

Barleywine

I use the Night Sun for darker subjects (like American politics).

Tanga

Hmmm - interesting question... "dedicated without sugar coating or horrifying"...
I may have to go and look at what I have and ponder...

Santa Meurte, Tarot of Bones, Seven's Deck of the Dead...
well - they all have just have skeletons in them yes? - so that's not a very 'broad visual' of death imo...
And Zombies, Vampires and Lukumi (Orishas) - again that's a specific focus...
Is there a really "balanced" death deck? I haven't seen one.
The closest I can get from my collection oddly - is the Bohemian Gothic.

One other deck that comes to mind - is Omegaland. But the death in there is specific to
war and survival.