Decks that *exceeded* your expectations?

nisaba

gregory said:
Recently (I cannot recall how I felt for a lot of my decks; it's so long ago...)
Well ... yes ... we all know how much you hate buying decks.

Briar Rose

The Fantastical and the Revelations both exceeded my expectations. I knew they would be good, but I didn't know that they would be excellent.

gregory

Alta said:
Also: didn't expect a lot from but then really liked: LoScarabeo, Fey, Secret Forest and Magical Forest.
Oh - Magical Forest. I forgot that :D

rhombchick

I know it's not a very exciting or hyped up deck.... infact it follows the same guidelines as most LS decks in terms of colour and technique.....

Which is why I was so blown away by the LS sorcerers tarot....
I wasn't expecting big things... I just thought it would be a sort of a meh *shrugs shoulders* deck to have, and it would fill a nice little space in my box until I could trade it for bigger and better things...

But I ended up LOVING it! No other deck has managed to open up my intuition as much as this deck... and worst of all... I can't even describe what I like about it...

Onyx

I love the positive feel of this thread. It has caused me to go find a few decks I haven't looked at in awhile.

Decks that I have love are Revelations, Deviant Moon, Victorian Romantic (I knew it was widely hailed as genius on the forum but I didn't expect much).

Decks I use a lot and find that they were big surprise: Liber T (it takes work but it rewards us for the effort), Tarot of Reflections (amazing reading deck for me, not crazy excited about the art but awesome readings)

Decks I love to look at but not use: Universal Fantasy, Mona Lisa (Same artist), Circle of Life, Transparent, Fey (but this my get a promotion to a reading deck soon), Tarot of the Ages, and the Hermetic.

Onyx.

Manda

I, too, dig the positive energy of this thread!

I have a lot more decks that I am just thrilled with than decks that disappointed.

I almost fell over when I opened the Soprafino. I really did. Even though I had some TdM and other decks with non-illustrated pips, everything about this deck called to me, and I have loved using it, and it has opened the way to learning for me. I was told I would probably not read with it (I did ask to be de-enabled, after all) but that is not the case, and I take it out frequently just to look at it, too.

The Templar Tarot - I thought I just wanted it for the saturated colors and because I have a thing for borderless cards, but no. This has quickly become my reading for me deck, and I am simply entranced by it. I also just take it out to look at the pictures, and it has a deeply meditative quality to it that calms me, even though the nature of the images can be a bit harsh at times.

I knew I wanted to get it, but I could not believe how perfect in every way, physically, with imagery, the Anna K is, for me. I always read with a Universal or Radiant Waite for other people, because I felt those were easiest to also look at the cards for newbies, but the Anna K has become my new all-purpose deck. I was gifted one and I have ordered a back up, something I never do.

Tansey Ella

I really am impressed with the Quantum tarot too. I just got it yesterday and already find it is very much like an oracle . It reminds me of the Quest in the way it reads for me.
Also to add The Hudes deck is a very comforting deck for me. It just feels like it knows me.
I also wanted to say that when I first go the Deviant Moon deck I was a bit put off by the imagery. However, it has grown on me and now I have come to just love the DM characters. It does very accurate readings for me.

HearthCricket

The Gilded: It was as though Ciro looked into my own imaginary world and created a deck perfect for me. It is all his creation and has nothing to do with me, but we must live in very similar worlds! I never thought I would find a deck that would click with me, so much, on first sight.

The Paulina: An amazing and wonderful treat when I started to study and work with it. I love the layering and details and it really speaks to me. The theme and artwork are simply magical.

Medieval Enchantment: I had this for years before I finally started to work with it. Then it was pure love and usually close by! It is definitely one of the most faithful decks for my own readings and I love every aspect of it.

Thoth: I may never truly understand it and the artwork doesn't thrill me, at all. But it is dead on for answers with no running around the bush, and for that I am truly thankful!!

Baroque Bohemian Cats: Besides the absolute beauty of this deck and my reluctance in purchasing it as it came out shortly after we put our 2nd cat asleep, who knew felines in fancy clothes could have so much to say?

The Magical Forest: Unbelievable deck. What some would label as a "fluffy bunny" deck from first impressions and very simple artwork, this deck both soothes and comforts while it lays it all on the line. Another faithful and unexpected treat.

And I am sure I am leaving out too many others...

faunabay

The Deviant Moon is a big one for me. I didn't want it...thought it was too freaky for me....just was turned off by the imagery. Then some wonderful person :laugh: included it in my Halloween exchange box. I tried a couple of readings with it and it was amazing. I get such information from it! Wow!

Then the Fantastic Menagerie. I loved all the magic realist decks I had at the time, but didn't think I wanted this one. So Jewel kindly offered to let me take her's out for a test spin. LOL I still didn't really think I wanted it until I did a reading for someone and realized how much fun it was to tell people they're like the bugs and animals and creatures in the cards! :laugh:

Actually when I think about it the Victorian Romantic exceeded my expectations too!!! This was one I knew I'd like, but didn't realize to what extent!! I love, love, love this deck!!! :heart: It's wonderful, doesn't stop talking, and the one I go to when I want to do a reading that will just flow! :heart:

karenquilter

The Robin Wood. I was on the trading forum, buying two other decks that I was more interested in, and this was also for sale from the same person, so I bought it as an afterthought. Now I can't even remember what the other two decks are, but the Robin Wood has been out of its box a lot.

The Light & Shadow Tarot was at a used book store, & I bought it on a whim. It has a lot of depth & energy, & I'm very happy with it.

Tarot de Paris took my breath away when I took it out of the box, so I invited my best friend over to see it. She was wowed, too. If ever I go to Paris, it will be largely because of this deck.

Tarot of Dreams is fantastic. I had high expectations, but it surpassed them. Everyone who sees it is wowed.

The Pen Tarot. This is SO GOOD. Again, high expectations that were exceeded.

I could go on...
K