Deirdre of the Sorrows Tarot

firefrost

Sulis said:
For those who want to see some more scans, Deirdre has changed the ones on the site.
Go to http://www.tarotunlocked.com/gallery.html and click on 'gallery' if the link doesn't take you straight there.

Many thanks for this, Sulis. Along with these new images and the lovely Shadowdancer emailing more scans to me, I'm now sold on it.

It's beautiful.

Sulis

shadowdancer said:
has your deck arrived yet Sulis?
No it hasn't but it should be here this week I would've thought. I'm really looking forward to it :)

shadowdancer

Hi Promise

As it is a fairly new deck, it will be difficult to accurately say how it would stand up over a long period of time with an real certainty...

but I do feel it will work well with people who tend to flex it a lot (if that makes sense). I have a deck of playing cards that is linen stock and it has lasted one heck of a lot longer than a normal card deck. I went through a mad period when I got back home from a holiday to America of playing poker with my partner which is where I had the chance to compare the two finishes ....lol. The card stock lasted no more than a month before we had to bin it. The linen deck is still going strong.

I don't think you will ge scuffed edges or corners with this deck.

Again I can't say for definite but that is just based on how it feels to me. Another thing is it is incredibly light in weight! I am having to look at what decks I am going to pack in my hand luggage for a forthcoming move to NZ. I have narrowed it down to 5 decks now, (this being one of them) and weight was something I had to take into account. Thus the fact my beloved Kaos will have to go in the sea shipment with the rest of my collection alas - it feels as if it weighs the same as a house brick!!

firefrost

I just ordered it :D

6 Haunted Days

Yes it is very lightweight, I was noticing that the other day compared to my Bohemian Gothic! Kind of floats in your hand lol.

The cardstock feels and seems very sturdy to me. It's not flimsy in the least, very high-quality. I have to say again this is the most unusual and unique cardstock I own, I love it.

firefrost

I got a lovely email from Dierdre saying that she put the new scans on her site after reading here that they were asked for!

I've chosen to have my deck personalised. Lol...I almost asked her to sign it anyway, but thought that a bit cheeky.

Dierdre, I know you're going to read this, so thanks!

Hils :)

Sulis

My deck arrived yesterday, I was out all day and came back to find it waiting for me on the sofa - my son had answered the door to the postman.

To tell you the truth, the jury is still out on this one, it's not love at first sight as it was with The Pearls of Wisdom deck (the only other deck I've bought in ages). I have a feeling this could be one of those decks that grows on me and if the readings I do for others with it are good then it will be a keeper.

The linen card stock is gorgeous, it reminds me a little of wallpaper and I'm sure it'll stand up to loads of shuffling, it seems very tough despite the lack of lamination.
The deck seems to have a melancholic feel to it which I really like, probably because of the use of pencil and just a bit of colour.
I'm also struck by how Irish it is. Some of the scenes and a lot of the people look very Irish which is something else that I really love about the deck.

Some of the cards are absolutely gorgeous and convey their meanings very well. The 6 of Cups has already been mentioned by 6 Haunted Days and I have to agree with her, it's lovely; in fact all the sixes are very well done.

The things I don't like about the deck are that some of the cards seem to portray the deck creators' very personal view of that card's meaning and that narrows the scope of a card for me.
The 8 of Wands for example shows a couple on a bridge over a river and on the river is a moored boat with a man sitting in it.
The book states that this card is 'always known as the falling in love card' - well not to me it isn't.. I would sometimes see falling in love in this card but certainly not always.
Another example is the 4 of Pentacles where we see a woman walking away from her home which is in the background, she wears a red dress and we're told in the book that 'the clothes wear her rather than the other way around' and that 'her expression shows us she likes to control'... I just don't get that from that image and without looking at the book, I couldn't see how the image related to the 4 of Pentacles.

I think this deck will need a bit of working with for me to really see if it's a deck that fits with my reading style.
I tend to like to read the cards and not bother with the books that come with them so maybe I should focus on doing that.
The real proof of the pudding I find is reading for others and I'm going to do that as soon as possible.

shadowdancer

Hi Sulis

Thanks for leaving your views. It does appear it has left you in two minds a little. l look forward to hearing from you when you have used it for a few readings. I understand what you say about the book - a couple of the book descriptions do deviate from the RWS which the deck has strong links with.

And you are right - the card stock feel is to die for! :)

take care

Davina

lark

Yes, thanks Sulis, still not ready to order for sure, but that gave me some things to think about.

firefrost

This is beginning to feel like it did waiting for the BGS to arrive!

I can understand your disappointment Sulis, and I agree with you on the card interpritations.

Having said that, I've recently joined the ISG group so I'm purposefully trying to see things differently to the traditional way of reading anyway. It may work for me with this deck, I certainly hope so.