Deities and Tarot

Pixiedustmite

I found this really cool Tarot spread to help connect/find one Deity and work with them. The only problem is that there are so many Gods and Goddesses that it's kind of hard to tell which one may be speaking to me. Anyone have experience in this? Any examples? Opinions? I would love to hear all your thoughts! Thanks! XOX

LeFou

There's an old tradition that all the various goddesses are really just names for the one original goddess. Catholics might see this in all the various names for Mary. (The original goddess is arguably a fertility / prosperity deity.)

nicky

I found this really cool Tarot spread to help connect/find one Deity and work with them. The only problem is that there are so many Gods and Goddesses that it's kind of hard to tell which one may be speaking to me. Anyone have experience in this? Any examples? Opinions? I would love to hear all your thoughts! Thanks! XOX

I would approach this in the same way I do other readings - have assigned meanings (deities) to the cards before I did the reading.

The act of assigning them would be additionally illuminating - it would inform you how you feel about certain deities as you go along - it may even provide the answer without doing the spread.

nicky

Zephyros

It might depend on which tradition you're coming from but all the Majors have astrological associations which might help. All the Minors are attributed to two Majors while the Courts are three. Lots of deities there to choose from.

rachelcat

Simple solution:

Universal Goddess
Dark Goddess
Sol Invictus

They would certainly help with specificity! Maybe the spread wouldn't work with a group of deities. On the other hand, it would narrow things down for you . . .

Just a thought.

seedcake

I don't believe you don't have favourite Gods and Goddess. Maybe start with Them? I'd love to give a better advice but even me, I was surprised few times (if not all the time). You can start to look for a Deity which you feel is connected with your current life situation. Maybe you need some help in a specific area? Deities are for reason - explore it :)

bonebeach

It depends. Do you feel like you have a consistent divine presence in your life that you're working with, like you're trying to find out who your patron (more or less) deity is? Or is the communication you want more general?

Either way, I think it's the kind of thing you tease out over time...see what themes or symbols reoccur in the cards, maybe even across different decks. Like maybe eventually you notice that you keep on drawing cards with recurring details, even if it's not the focus of the image--like, say, spiders in the corners. Then you see if you feel drawn to any deities associated with spiders, and so on.

And of course, it also depends on the tradition you're working in. If it's one that has a deck in the right "flavor" out there, that might help. Not all traditions have decks out, though.

Ruby Jewel

If you go to mythology, you will find that all the deities have particular domains, and are also related to astrology. For instance, Apollo is the sun deity and also Leo in the tarot and and astrology. Neptune rules the ocean, and so Pisces in tarot and astrology. Mercury is the messenger of the gods, and also rules communication...etc....there are a myriad of connections, it just takes studying up on Greek mythology and astrology.

Falcor

To be honest when you are connecting or already connected to a deity or more or you are feeling the call, you don't need tarot to know it. It's the deity the you are feeling interested about, want to know about, feeling respect for them and so on.

bonebeach

I wouldn't say that *all* deities have astrological correspondences. All deities in the Greek pantheon, perhaps. But I could not tell you a single planetary correspondence in the pantheon I work in, not because I haven't paid attention but because I've never heard anyone bring one up, ever, even in my childhood. I don't think we can assume OP is working in an exclusively Hellenic tradition. There's just so much more out there.

I pretty much agree with what Falcor said. :) but you could still suss it out a bit more with tarot, I'm sure.