Did you ever have to fight back the urge to channel the Queen of Swords?

shelikes2read

It's fortunate that I'm a diplomatic person by nature. Because when I get a call from someone whose list of questions is, "Is my b/f cheating on me with my friend... his ex is pregnant, is the baby his... is he cheating on me with someone from out-of-town... is he sleeping with my friend...", only my strict internal editor helps me to avoid saying, "If you think he's this untrustworthy, why the blazes would you even give this loser the time of day, never mind date him?"

Or another caller, who discussed their ex as an addict, a two-timer, a leech, and a host of other unsavory characteristics, and followed up with, "Will she be coming back to me? Does she love me?"

:bugeyed:

Unfortunately, those were real-life situations. Fortunately, I kept the Queen of Swords from taking over my body ;), and the cards cooperated enough to let me offer interpretations of the readings like "You deserve to be with someone who is as dedicated to making the relationship work as you are". I can't, shouldn't, and won't trample all over their feelings, regardless of how bad the situation appears to be.

I am able to remind myself that when I was younger, I dated several real horses'-nether-ends that my friends and family loathed, so it took me a while to learn the "You deserve better" lesson. And the awful significant others that my callers ask about might be part of THEIR learning process that they deserve better, too. Some of us, myself included, only learn some lessons via firsthand experience.

The cards have NEVER failed me yet, when it comes to offering sound advice to people in a lousy relationship. But sometimes, it takes all my diplomacy not to blurt out a blunt, Queen-of-Swords-like take on the matter. I'll sure tell them what the cards are saying, but with a tad more consideration than the Queen of Swords would use. ;)

Baroli

I'm trying to figure out where you feel the Queen of Swords is not diplomatic. Granted she cuts to the chase with situations and people and she doesn't tolerate any BS, but undiplomatic??? She's a Queen. She's class she's not some loser who can't control her temper. She just doesn't see the need to beat around the bush and does it in a very regal manner. How do I know? Because that is my "significator." Take a look at her in a RWS deck. She sits on her throne with her sword drawn, ready to call a spade a spade, but she doesn't have to be a trash mouth when she does it. She's a Queen. She's seen a lot of life and has no time for silliness. If anything, I would see the Q of Swords as someone who has a quick wit and low tolerance of people that you have posted about and I believe she would tell them diplomatically to knock it off.

Sometimes people need to hear the truth no matter how hideous or hurtful it may be. It's up to us as the messenger to somehow cut through the BS and give it to the person straight up without being a bitch. That takes the finesse of a Queen.

Of course, this is my opinion,...mileage may vary and you may not agree. But it's something maybe you would like to chew on,....food for thought so to speak.

magpie9

I have to say I think the Queen of Swords is direct, but not cruel. Sometimes the Queen of Swords is merciful, in that she will not prolong the agony of a suffering creature.
I had a sitter the other day that I had seen once before, maybe 6 months ago. That reading had been a relationship reading. She sat down this time, looked me in the eye and said,
"I came back because you made me cry last time, and I cried then because I knew you where right." I pretty much swallowed my tongue, but accepted it as the compliment it was. She has long since gotten out of that impossible relationship, and is now in a nice healthy one.
I really believe that sometimes they come in to us to hear the thing they know is true, but can't accept until someone outside their life says it to them.

Marcia959

Oh, my, yes, and I learned at the feet of the mistress, my Mom THE Queen of Swords. I remember telling a teacher in my junior high to his face when he confronted me that I could not respect a man who kicks dogs.

Sometimes you have to tell people the truth to save your own soul.

nisaba

I *never* fight to suppress my Queen Swords - she's a huge benefit to me (or anybody). I'm quite likely to deliberately invoke Her.

With situations like those described by the OP, I read what's on the cards. I sometimes insert my own opinions and advice, but only if it's really, really obvious, and I *always* preface it by saying:

"This is not a part of the reading. This is not from the cards. This is from my own life-experience and judgement, and is my personal opinion. Blah blah blah. Now, back to the reading."

214red

i like nisaba say what i see in the cards and usually i am very blunt and very king of swords anyways especially in readings, and i say what i see. if someone asks the questions they get the answer without the sugar coating.

however be very careful, it is not for a reader to judge a client, its to read without prejudice, if we start judging then it can color our readings. if i am doing a counselling reading thats a completely different story though

Umbrae

myself, I just read the cards. I never listen to the sitter's 'story'. Often I will 'shush' them "too much backstory may colour the reading"...

And I just read the cards.

I never ever allow ego-based judgment call's to creep into a reading. They can get a personal opinion from friends and relatives. My job is to only read the cards.

I'm a Tarot Reader

not a Tarot Opinionator

214red

also they waste their time telling you the back story, it makes more sense for them to get more reading time

Lilija

I did once, in an online reading. My sitter kept asking the same dumb questions over and over, about a particular case of unrequited love. He would go into great and tedious detail, describing some long drawn out story at work, and finish with "and then she walked by, and gave me a dirty look...what did THAT mean?" Every card I pulled was total ruination. Obsession, power play, controlling.

I told him so. He would go "mmhmm. But.... what does it REALLY MEAN?"

After three or four rounds of this, me answering the same micro-questions couched in different scenarios. "She offered me a sip of her Diet Coke, does she finally love me?" I sent him a frank email asking him if he really wants to know the serious and end-all truth. I had to cut through all this BS, for my own sanity. He said of course he did. I then asked him if I could frame the questions, and do a reading for him, and I'd send him the results. He agreed. I wrote up my questions, total cut through the BS type stuff. I sent him the list, he said "GREAT! That's exactly what I need to know!". I did the reading. I didn't charge for it, the dude had already spent quite a bit on the petty crap.

It was the Queen of Swords if I'd ever seen her in action. Twelve questions. All painful to look at. All painful answers. He didn't love her, he was obsessed with owning her. She didn't even so much as like him, no matter how flirty she was, her whole goal in any relationship was $$.

I never heard from him again. Thank you Queen of Swords.

Shade

The word "No" is really really healthy and it's something a Queen of Swords can be good at.

It may overstep the bounds that some people are comfortable with to be blunt about an unhealthy relationship. But the people who allow themselves to stay in unhealthy situations might hear "You will be happier in a relationship where you are respected" and think "Ok I need to work harder and communicate more clearly." If you tell them "This is not a healthy relationship" they may become defensive but it's harder for them to convince themselves you are giving them license to stay.

But then, I also appreciate what Mary Greer said in a workshop "You don't have to fix them. That is not your responsibility."