Difference between Knight of Wands and Swords

Ix Chel

I’m am studying the Court Cards. It is for me difficult to see the difference between the Knight of Wands and the Knight of Swords. They are so similar, they could be good friends. The both present action and impulsiveness. I always thought that Indiana Jones was a typical Knight of Wands, there is a lot of action and adventure in his movies. But if I study de Knight of Swords I think that he would be a better Knight of Swords, to find a relict you must be very intelligent and solve riddles. What do you think? What are typical persons for the Knight of Wands and Swords. What are the differences between the two?Thanks in advance.

Barleywine

I’m am studying the Court Cards. It is for me difficult to see the difference between the Knight of Wands and the Knight of Swords. They are so similar, they could be good friends. The both present action and impulsiveness. I always thought that Indiana Jones was a typical Knight of Wands, there is a lot of action and adventure in his movies. But if I study de Knight of Swords I think that he would be a better Knight of Swords, to find a relict you must be very intelligent and solve riddles. What do you think? What are typical persons for the Knight of Wands and Swords. What are the differences between the two?Thanks in advance.

Interesting question. It got me thinking that Indiana Jones is a good fit for Knight of Wands, but James Bond (at least the original Iam Fleming version) might be a better Knight of Swords.

Here are some ideas I extracted from the Book of Thoth (in which the "Knight" is the "Prince"):

Knight of Wands - swift, strong, impulsive, just, noble, generous, proud, courageous, confident, capable, a romantic, often violent

Knight of Swords - full of ideas and designs, clever, rational, flexible, versatile, adaptable, idealistic

I posted the full version of this study in the Thoth sub-forum a while back.

intuitivetarot

I love your comparisons of either knight with Indiana jones! It's very a unique approach! I think knight of swords may be more of what he'd be leaning towards, if at all. So I agree with you.

I see an ill dignified knight of wands as James Bond. A smooth talker, charming, and witty, but driven but so much of passion that all it will be is just passion, nothing more. Then, he moves onto his next "conquest". But an upright Knight of Wands may be someone like Hercules. A lot of energy, movement, and drive. He is very passionate and him working out is very much a fire element activity. Knight of wands is about travel, messages about travel, passion, love, drive, ambition, motivation, taking action, and high chances of burning out (quickly).

On the other hand, I would also say pretty much any of the fairy tale princes, who are depicted as the knight in shining armor that has to go kills dragon brcause a "maiden" is in distress. Knight of swords is about air, communication, thoughts, thinking, clarity of thought, cutting out what no longer serves you, fighting for justice, and sometimes acting or speaking without thinking.

But I wouldn't characterize them as impulsive when they are well dignified. They are learning to master their respective suites, so knights try to control their urges and balance the energy if their suites in the upright and well dignified positions. Reversed, yes, the Knights give in to their urges or lose balance somehow. It is the reversed/I'll dignified Knights that may result in or be caused by impulsiveness.

Barleywine

I'm going to stick with Crowley's observations. They're the best I've found in all my years of study.

Ix Chel

Thanks intuitivetarot & Barleywine.

For me are the Court Cards very difficult. Every person can see something different in it. I am learning the RWS deck. A Tarot reader told me once that Crowley explains the Court Cards better. Well that is still on my to study list. In the mean time I will think like a Swords person and see who matches the descriptions. But it can be difficult, because some cards remind me on the same person. Thanks for your advice.

russell

A chess grand master would be the knight of swords. Or a fighter for ideals like Martin Luther King Jr.

Donald Trump would be the knight of coins. (No value judgments implied!)

A lover who steals your heart away would be the knight of cups. Or someone who deeply moves you like an author or composer.

nisaba

The Knight Wands is more about action and speed, the Knight Swords is more about acting without thinking it through.

Enlightenment23

I would say that the Knight of Wands' movement is motivated by wandsy stimulators - passion, adventure, athleticism, frustration, the "travel itch," and his you-know-what! So what gets him moving are the aforementioned wandsy drives. This is the guy (or gal) that is the adrenaline junkie, and the guy that has "ants in his pants" and is always searching for new scenery. This is the guy that always has the urge to visit different places. He loves spontaneity. He loves getting "turned on!" - whether that's through hot new hookups every weekend, zip lining in Mexico, or kicking some a** in karate class!

The Knight of Swords, on the other hand, is motivated by swordsy stimulators - drive to seek truth, justice, debate, and conversation. He will speak his mind whether you like it or not, defend his views, and speak up for the voiceless. He loves a good healthy debate, but because he's not as refined as the King, there is a lot of rawness and harshness behind his words - this can hurt someone, effect big changes, or cause some major heated arguments. Either way, his ultimate goal is to get people thinking and hopefully change their minds. I actually do like the Knight of Swords in love because I am someone who enjoys a good, healthy, stimulating conversation. And I find that the Knight of Swords always pops up when I find me guys that fit that bill.

Ultimately, they are both impulsive, but I believe they are stimulated by different motivators according to their suit.

werewolfmoon

Interesting question. It got me thinking that Indiana Jones is a good fit for Knight of Wands, but James Bond (at least the original Iam Fleming version) might be a better Knight of Swords.

I'd say the other way round personally, Indiana Jones as the Knight of Swords and James Bond (Sean Connery) as the Knight of Wands.

Indiana Jones - weilds his whip and gun as well as his sarcastic responses, rushes into situations with no thought for himself and others.

James Bond - the suave and sophisticated Secret Agent, loves and leaves his ladies, likes the high life but also gets his hands dirty.

:)

Barleywine

I'd say the other way round personally, Indiana Jones as the Knight of Swords and James Bond (Sean Connery) as the Knight of Wands.

Indiana Jones - weilds his whip and gun as well as his sarcastic responses, rushes into situations with no thought for himself and others.

James Bond - the suave and sophisticated Secret Agent, loves and leaves his ladies, likes the high life but also gets his hands dirty.

:)

Sorry, I don't buy it. Wands are impulsive, Swords are rational. Indy gets himself into predicaments and basically "lucks" his way out of them with a little bit of resourcefulness. Bond has "Q" watching his back when he runs out of options.

ETA: Thought I should add that I see the suit and the element as the "stage" and the "script" and the specific card as the "actor." Everything else is just "props" and "costuming." How you view a court card depends on how much you think it can "ad-lib" its lines.