Differences between The Tower and Death

claire1805

I have recently been having trouble with these The Tower and Death for the sole fact that they both represent a permanent and painful change, the tearing down of the old ways for me, besides the possibility of Death literally meaning a physical passing. It comes to a point where I would be having some confusion interpreting them whenever they both appear in a reading... Can anyone help enlighten me to their differences, because I keep seeing them as one, due to the fact that I don't read Death as physical death itself.

geoxena

Hi there. I see The Tower as sudden, catastrophic change/challenges/forces - the kind that knocks someone upside the head out of nowhere and turns their life totally upside down.

I see Death as a slower process of regeneration that we are all moving toward - it is inevitable. We accept it as part of life. Sometimes it comes suddenly and quickly, sometimes painfully and brutally, sometimes quite peacefully and with acceptance, and yet sometimes neither of those. I think that Death, as represented in a tarot card, is not necessarily the same as being struck down, out of the blue, like with the lightning striking The Tower - I think Death represents something coming to a close, but it is something we know about almost our whole lives. People think about and often prepare for our actual deaths at least once or twice during a lifetime.

The real kernel for me about Death is that it isn't a permanent end - I always see it is regeneration, metamorphosis, like dead leaves becoming compost and rich soil which then feeds the tree from which they fell.

The Lightning Struck Tower knocks you on your ass without warning and you might never recover from that. I see The Tower as destruction and devastation, whereas Death can be like a peaceful shutting of a door.

Those are the differences I can think of off the top of my head.

nisaba

I have recently been having trouble with these The Tower and Death for the sole fact that they both represent a permanent and painful change,

Have you ever noticed that in the classic RWS artwork, "The Tower" is a horizon-scene in the background of Death?

It's worth thinking about.

claire1805

Hi there. I see The Tower as sudden, catastrophic change/challenges/forces - the kind that knocks someone upside the head out of nowhere and turns their life totally upside down.

I see Death as a slower process of regeneration that we are all moving toward - it is inevitable. We accept it as part of life. Sometimes it comes suddenly and quickly, sometimes painfully and brutally, sometimes quite peacefully and with acceptance, and yet sometimes neither of those. I think that Death, as represented in a tarot card, is not necessarily the same as being struck down, out of the blue, like with the lightning striking The Tower - I think Death represents something coming to a close, but it is something we know about almost our whole lives. People think about and often prepare for our actual deaths at least once or twice during a lifetime.

The real kernel for me about Death is that it isn't a permanent end - I always see it is regeneration, metamorphosis, like dead leaves becoming compost and rich soil which then feeds the tree from which they fell.

The Lightning Struck Tower knocks you on your ass without warning and you might never recover from that. I see The Tower as destruction and devastation, whereas Death can be like a peaceful shutting of a door.

Those are the differences I can think of off the top of my head.

Thank you for your valuable input. You have given me much to consider about regarding the two cards. For me, Death is permanent, and I always see the card as the end of something, the closing of a chapter. Your words have made me realise that the Death card is not something out of the blue, but it is something that perhaps we have always expected or is already at its end stage, like for example, an impending breakup or divorce, but we are reluctant to see it as unsalvageable.

I see the Tower as a very chaotic situation, like someone or something pulling the rug out from under your feet and you are left painfully tumbling down. Though I am confused of whether the Tower can be considered as a permanent change, the point of no return, in which we can only move forward... Like you likening the Death card to that of a 'regeneration, for me, that is the Tower card, the old have to be cleared away to make way for the new... Your description of the Death card is beautifully poetic! You made me fear less for the Death card, but more wary of the Tower card... :)

tarotbear

The Tower is a dramatic upheaval coming out of nowhere that knocks your socks off, leaving you shocked and stunned. If you don't learn the lesson of the Tower you could very easily go back and rebuild it back the way it was and- of course - it will again be destroyed.

Death can be a slow process - but it is inevitable and permanent - no going back. In the Death card you have to accept the fact that you have to accept what will come after the change is completed.

Russ1964

Have you ever noticed that in the classic RWS artwork, "The Tower" is a horizon-scene in the background of Death?

Thanks, Nisaba, that's something I had just never noticed before!

Now you have prompted me I also notice that the Sun rising above the horizon is also partially behind the tower, so there is hope rising both in the sense of the card and the fact that the Sun is touching the tower in the scene.

Russ

PAMUYA

Wonderful answers here, couldn't have stated it better. One thing I would like to add, many times I have seen the tower as a blow to the ego. Both cards are of change, Death is a natural process of something has to go for new rebirth to begin, many times with Death you can put off the change or not except it, but the Tower is scorched earth, nothing is left but to live in its ashes, as with death it can happen again and again until the lessons are learned. Both can leave you stunned, they do appear the same as change but the energy is quite different.

RaaD

Actually i cant agree with you.

What we are seeing in the horizon of the death card is the sun rising in between TWO towers

Symbol Tower - the symbolical meaning of the tower is connection in between the heaven and the earth giving meaning to everything divine in the material world. Also the towers are associate with prisons

Symbol Sun - The sun is symbol of life and simplicity. Vital energy and power

So we are seeing how new born power ( THe Sun ) unleashed from its prison ( The Tower )

claire1805

Wonderful answers here, couldn't have stated it better. One thing I would like to add, many times I have seen the tower as a blow to the ego. Both cards are of change, Death is a natural process of something has to go for new rebirth to begin, many times with Death you can put off the change or not except it, but the Tower is scorched earth, nothing is left but to live in its ashes, as with death it can happen again and again until the lessons are learned. Both can leave you stunned, they do appear the same as change but the energy is quite different.

I feel very lucky to have received so many insightful opinions and earnest answers for my question here... :) Can I ask what you mean by the Tower being 'a blow to the ego',,,, That perspective is quite fascinating to me. What do you thing is better associated with an event like...hmmm.... a man having an affair and his wife found out about it? Would it constitute the Tower or Death? What type of event mirrors the Death card, other than physical death? I think categorising the two cards using events can perhaps throw some light to the somewhat similar cards, in my opinion.

For me, Death closes a door for you and locked it indefinitely, you no longer having the key to unlock it. But there is a new door in front of you, you are given the key, and it is up to you whether you want to enter it or not... For Tower, perhaps, it is a destruction of the door, and you are so devastated by the loss that you do not see a door in front of you, kinda reminds me of the Five of Cups, the two cups left unseen...

But really, both cards shows us the fact that change is inevitable, the process to reach it can be painful, shocking, sorrowful but perhaps, this change is needed for us to move on to the next stage of our lives, to grow both spiritually and emotionally.

I want to thank everyone here for graciously sharing with me their opinions and knowledge. I really appreciate it!

claire1805

Wow, you really bring a new depth to The Tower and Death cards. I never noticed it at all!... Perhaps I am not as observant as I thought myself to be...haha... Perhaps the two cards come from the same realm, of destruction for the Tower, end for Death, and then rebuilding for both? Both approach change in different ways but require the individual to recover the same way from it, respond similarly to it?