Differences between Thoth and Rider Waite

jmd

Macavity, glad to see you found what you were after at villarevak. It has managed to remain a very useful and very good site over the years - albeit a little negative in tone at times.

Minderwiz, thanks very much for that input - it has certainly made me reflect - and realise that I need to at some stage brush up on turn-of-the-twentieth century esoteric-order history...

But for now, let me add just a few words. You are correct that, as Waite did not write himself that the reason for the 11-8 interchange was for astrological reasons, then it is conjecture. Also, Mathers's essay on Tarot correctly identifies the Marseilles ordering (except that he numeralises the Fool as zero - please correct me if I'm mistaken on this).

From memory, however, Mathers's essay is more a descriptive one of the Marseilles deck. Within the order, which Waite joined a few years after its formation - and never left - the astrological interposition seems to have been clear.

That Waite himself may have suggested the interchange is an interesting proposition, though given the post-1900 factions, one would have expected the Felkin and Mathers groups to stick to non-Waite material (which they did - as it was only later that Waite re-formed the already splinter Golden Dawn group 'Independent and Rectified Rite' to the 'Fellowship of the Rosy Cross', removing its more magical ceremonial aspects).

With regards to Eliphas Levi, it was, after all, his influence upon both the Golden Dawn and the Kabbalistic Order of the Rose Cross which 'enabled' these orders to incorporate usage of the Tarot. Levi identified, of course, the Marseilles sequence, but probably did not use the cards for magical ceremonies, and thus no interchange based on astrological consideration was necessary.

Could the idea for interchanging have come from outside the Golden Dawn? In an indirect way, certainly, for Justice had already been linked to Maat, which itself had already been connected to Libra. These connections and their ordering, however, only becomes significant hurdles when wanting to use these sequentially within magical ceremonies. If this is the case, an interchange within the Golden Dawn becomes very likely - a change which, very probably, would have been made prior Waite going through the rituals as a candidate.

But as mentioned, this remains, no matter how corroborated, speculation - but speculation which seems, to me at least, more reasonable than proposing that Waite proposed the interchange: whereas Waite sought very much to work within traditions given him, it was Mathers who had the temerity to make brilliant 'corrections' to whichever aspect needed modification for the purposes of creating effective magical rituals - changes which remain, however, unfortunate to my eyes.

DeLani

[Differences in the Minors

The main difference between Waite inspired minors and Thoth inspired minors lays in one of the largest difference between the two decks. Waite put pictures on his minors. Thoth uses stylized pips (arrangements of the suit symbols as in playing cards.) Because of this, I look for Waite influence in the minors differently than I do Thoth influence.

It's pretty easy to spot the most apparent influence of Waite in the choice of imagery for the pips. A boat ride on the Six of Cups, a patient gardner on the Seven of Pentacles, a person with swords in his back on the Ten of swords. The use of these images such as these indicates a Waite basis.

Just being a little anal retentive...forgive me!
The minors in the Waite deck were really Pamela Coleman Smiths. I believe that Waite didn't really direct the artwork, just kind of gave Smith the meaning and let her do her own thing. So we should more accurately say, "the Smith-inspired minors," and "the Smith influence on the minors," etc. That woman literally revolutionized Tarot, and her name isn't even on the deck! That really chaps my hide...
Kind of like how even though Sacagawea led Louis & Clark across most of the continent, translated several languages, found and cooked all their food, and had a baby on the trail...and her husband was the one that got paid for it.
OK, I'm done with my feminist rant... :)

ihcoyc

Re: Re: Differences between Thoth and Rider Waite

DeLani said:
The minors in the Waite deck were really Pamela Coleman Smiths. I believe that Waite didn't really direct the artwork, just kind of gave Smith the meaning and let her do her own thing. So we should more accurately say, "the Smith-inspired minors," and "the Smith influence on the minors," etc. That woman literally revolutionized Tarot, and her name isn't even on the deck!
I agree: the minors are the best thing about the Waite-Smith deck. While I have "issues" with them myself, it's mostly about questioning the tradition they came out of. As illustrations of that tradition, they succeed about as well as they possibly could.

Where the RWS deck fails, the heavy hand of Waite is obvious. That hand is heaviest in the majors, like for instance the Wheel of Fortune. Turned one of the most straightforward symbols in the deck into. . . well, decent words fail me. But the minors almost always exhibit sensible design and layout, and get the job done.

Diana

Re: Re: Re: Differences between Thoth and Rider Waite

edited

ihcoyc

Waite-Smith Wheel of Fortune

Diana said:
ihcoyc: I'm sure if you try really hard, perhaps with the help of a thesaurus or dictionary of synonyms, you could find some words that would be suitable for a forum like this, and give us some more indications as to your objections about this card? I'm sure I'm not the only one whose interest has been piqued by your post. })
The Wheel of Fortune was and ought to be a straightforward mediæval icon that underlines the large role of chance in your fortune in life. It's a hell of a lot more comforting image compared to the wicked and perverse notion that hard work gets you ahead. Sometimes you are up and sometimes you are down.

The traditional inscriptions, starting with the ascending character, go: Regnabo (I will reign), Regno (I reign), Regnavi (I used to reign), and Sum sine regno (I am without a kingdom). The idea it wished to emphasize was that the turn of the wheel carried some people to fame and power, others to poverty and suffering. But those who are fortunate should take care, not fancy themselves better than those less fortunate, and treat them with charity, because you never can tell when you may suffer a reverse of fortune.

This is one of the cleanest, clearest, best attested, and most straightforward symbols from the inherited decks.

Two questions are at the bottom of my objection to the RWS design:

How much of this traditional image do you recognise from the RWS card?

What's the rest of that Egyptian and Hebrew stuff doing there?

Apparently the rising of (I assume) Anubis, the placing of the Sphinx at the top, and the descent of (I assume) Typhon are meant to suggest the triumph of Good over Evil. By putting them on the Wheel of Fortune, Waite suggests that the triumph of Good over Evil is a temporary thing, subject to sudden and unexpected setbacks, and Typhon's eventual triumph is also assured. I'm not at all sure that was intended, but that's the mixed message I get.

The Tetragrammaton just does not belong. The point of the allegory of the Wheel of Fortune is that earthly power is not necessarily the reward of divine favour. Nor does the ROTA/TARO/TORA punning, which sounds like something a loopy literary academic from the last century might have made up in any case.

MystiqueMoonlight

Well to break down the RW Wheel of Fortune:-

The four figures in each corner of the card appear in Revelations 4:7. Originally they represented Leo, Scorpio, Taurus and Aquarius. The Christians saw them a the four evangelist or "heaven's guardians".

The "Egyptian and Hebrew stuff" is as follows:-
The four letter Hebrew name of God "Yod He Vav He" which begins at the upper right hand corner going in an anti-clockwise direction. Because this word is made up of no vowels at all, as it appears in the Torah, it is considered unpronouncable and therefore meant to be secret and magickal. For Qaballists these are the very symbols of the mysteries of the world.

The Roman letters which appear between the Hebrew text are infact an anagram and spell out the various combinations of the word "Tora", "Rota" etc. The sentence Rota Taro Orat Tora Ator is actually what is states which means "The Wheel of Taro speaks the law of Ator"

On the spokes we have four alchemical symbols. From the top going clockwise is Mercury, Sulphur, Water and Salt. Which all relates to "transformation".

On the Wheel itself we have the snake Set, the Egyptian God of death, then under the wheel, travelling upward, is Anubis who is guide to the dead souls. The shpinx at the top of the wheel represents the God of resurrection. You may read this as Life triumphing over death. These figures don't necessarily represent the triumph of good over evil, but perhaps one may apply the Karmic Law here.

I would just like to say everything in our mundane world is temporary. We collect that which cannot be consumed by our Soul. Therefore our Soul has learnt nothing through the aquisition of 'stuff". It is by letting go of the "desire" and discovering the true "need' that our spiritual selves can move one step closer to the Divine.

Blessed be....

Laurel

In both sets of attributions, there's a definate sense of the revolution of the wheel, but I have to agree with Ihcoyc about the elegant simplicity of the traditional design as opposed to the RW.

The RW design asks more of you. Its an "occult" card, perhaps one of the most "occult" cards in the RW major Arcana. Waite wanted to take the context of fortune away from the individual and apply it to the secret workings of the universe- but not explain what those secret workings were, veiling it instead in symbols.

Laurel

Rhiannon

This deserves to be resurrected. I found the information very helpful and I'm SO thankful for the archives! :)