Different colours of Obsidian

redflash

I have seen green obsidian online, some call it Gaia stone. I haven't found out much about it from my books or from googling. Anyone here use it ? I have also read that black obsidian should only be used by an experienced healer, that it shouldn't even be worn as jewellery.

xx

FantasyWorld

16 different types are listed in Melody's book.

Obsidian is a great stone but some types need a bit of caution,imo.
It brings things to the surface.......some stones bring it faster and harsher and some are more gentle and slow.

I've used Apache Tear which is nice,Rainbow,Snowflake and Black.....Apache Tear I don't use for too long nor the black but the others are more gentle as well as Magogany (so I've heard).

AS for wearing as jewelery....I would wear some at home for short periods of time and see how it affects me, note any feelings.

I've worn a Snowflake pendant necklace but it kept falling off;)

sharpchick

I wear or carry black obsidian any time I know for sure that I am going to be in a situation that will turn ugly, or when I have an important meeting in a case at work. It is excellent at shielding you against negativity and clearing negativity out of a room.

skygreen

Gaia Stone is a green glass supposedly made from ash from Mount Saint Helens
Now I did have some Ash from the inital eruption because My fathers work place was well coated with it and my Ceramics Instructor did use some in a galze which was indeed green but the vast majority of current Gaia stone probably has been colored and may not really have much genuine material from Mount Saint Helens.
I find that most of the warnings about obsidian are rather overblown.
At least one famous Crystal author had a strong reaction to it and most of the warnings, fear, loathing ,etc. stem from that source. There was an inference in some of the material written about obsidian that those of particularly high and pure spiritual quality would be subject to this effect. So perhaps that is why I have lived much of my life near mountains of the stuff and have had a large obsidian sphere in my front room for over a decade with only benificial effects.

Obsidian reveals the hidden .grounding, protecting,. Obsidian is used in pouches and grids to help bring on visions and psychic insight but the most well known way of working with obsidian for divination is the scrying mirror. The scrying mirror a usually convex surface ideally made of polished black obsidian is gazed into/ upon while one seeks to receive visions or information about issues, the future, a present situation or to foretell events , discover hidden knowledge , prophecy, or perception by intuition and instinctive foresight.

garfield

yup for me i have a snowflake and black obsidian :)

huredriel

FantasyWorld said:
I've used Apache Tear which is nice,Rainbow,Snowflake and Black.....Apache Tear I don't use for too long nor the black but the others are more gentle as well as Magogany (so I've heard).
I also have an Apache Tear which is black, christmas present off my mum last year and apart from a couple of days, have worn it 24/7 since! Doesn't seem to have done me any harm so far ;)

dr. farr

Obsidian-especially Apache Tear-is excellent for soft stoning application over sprained, strained or otherwise injured connective tissue (knees, ligaments, tendons, joints, long or short bones); I have used it with remarkable beneficial effects in this way, including upon myself (soft stoning = the rapid but very light striking of an area repeatedly with a stone held in the hand; usually 2 strikes per second for about 100 strikes, stop for 30 seconds, repeated another 100, etc, usually for total of 300 or 400 strikes per session)

Disa

I bought an Obsidian from the metaphysical shop the other day. It was in a container labled "Rainbow Obsidian" but it looks solid black to me, as did all the others in the container. There are no lines or colors in it that I can see. Do you think it's regular, black obsidian?

BodhiSeed

Disa,
Does your rainbow obsidian have any "flashing" like tiger's eye? Mine that I have looks black, but when held and tilted in bright light, it has a very subtle greenish flash to it.
I love obsidian for its grounding and emotional healing qualitites.

Bodhran

BodhiSeed

Redflash,
Here's an excerpt from the "Book of Stones" on the Gaia stone:

Gaia Stone is the name given to a glassy material derived from the ash of the Mount St. Helens Volcanic eruption of 1980.
According to some tales, its discovery was an accident. As the story goes, after the eruption of the volcano, workers went up the mountain to demolish and remove heavy equipment which had been destroyed by the avalanches of volcanic ash.
Purportedly, workers with cutting torches notices that the heated ash reformed into a greenish glassy material after being melted by the torches.
Later, local craftsmen worked to refine and improve the process, which ultimately yielded beautiful transparent material, suitable for cutting gems, in shades of deep green.
Though it must be designated a manmade glass, its derivation from fresh volcanic ash and the energetic properties reported by numerous users qualify Gaia Stone to be included in the Crystals/Minerals categories.
It is connected to the Heart Chakra and emotional healing.

Bodhran