Different decks different readings?

Shelii

I am new to tarot reading. I have been reading the cards for about 3 years now but not regulatory so i still don't know all that i would like to.

I hear about people having so many decks and i am wondering if you need different decks for different readings. Or can you just use one deck.

I need a new deck because mine is so worn the cards can not be shuffled anymore. But now i have the Wonderland tarot deck. I love the deck but it is a confusing one. And i would like to get a new deck that is easy for beginners to understand. I have an overall understanding of the cards and what they mean but would still like one that is easier to read then the deck i have now. My husband said he is going to get me a deck for my birthday but he has no clue what one to get me and neither do i. Please anything will help.

Niclas

What is the deck that you have used for three years, and worn out?

Maybe it would be a good idea to get the same again, or a very similar one (we could help you with some information about that), if you were satisfied with it.

Wendywu

Really you only need one deck to read with, and indeed there are members here who have read with one particular deck for years and are very happy. Others of us find that we just love the different decks - the images, the stories - for all sorts of reasons. Kind of like wanting lots of pairs of shoes, or purses - you know :D

Shelii

Niclas said:
What is the deck that you have used for three years, and worn out?

Maybe it would be a good idea to get the same again, or a very similar one (we could help you with some information about that), if you were satisfied with it.

The deck that i have is the Wonderland deck. But it is a confusing deck for me to understand because they use flamingos hats oysters and what looks like a pepper grinder for the pentacls swords and so on. So i am trying to find a deck that is less confusing.

HearthCricket

Shelii said:
The deck that i have is the Wonderland deck. But it is a confusing deck for me to understand because they use flamingos hats oysters and what looks like a pepper grinder for the pentacls swords and so on. So i am trying to find a deck that is less confusing.

Have you read the LWB and the Alice books, especially the annotated version? That would make the deck far more familiar to you.

Yes, you can read from one deck. But I personally find it very limiting. Reading from a variety of decks makes my readings richer. Why read just one book, over and over again, or only watch the same movie over and over again? Having a variety at your fingertips (and no, I don't mean hundreds are necessary) allows you to expand your mind and your reading skill, switch decks as needed and not get stale readings. I know some people personally who read from the same decks all the time. And they just spew out the same information for each card, no matter what position it is in or what the question was. Yes, it gets stale and isn't a very accurate reading. I have decks that I prefer to read from and will use them quite frequently, but using something different lets you clean the windows and see things in a fresh new light.

Ashtaroot

I personally cannot read with one deck I need to always change depends on the mood... but you can stick to one.. for me every deck speak a different language it is like talking to a different person and getting other prespectives
but that is for me.

There is lots of good decks that are very easy and not confusing if you want simple and easy like the Hanson/Roberts tarot and Vanessa tarot and the decks by Ciro Marcietti like the Legacy of the divine and the Tarot of Dreams there is alot it all depends on your taste.

I suggest you go through lots of pictures of different decks here and see what you like and what calls to you.

chickandegg

I'd recommend at least getting a copy of the Rider-Waite-Smith. I'm still fairly new to the Tarot and for me the RWS gives clear, concise readings. I think it's also a good idea to have it because of its historical importance and the influence it has had on so many other decks. According to the Wonderland Tarot review on this site, the Wonderland deck was based on the RWS so the meanings of RWS cards might seem familiar to you.
I'm totally biased in favor of RWS, so if it doesn't work you, I understand. That's just my two cents!

Niclas

Shelii said:
Hmm, when you mentioned it first, I thought you had used a different deck for three years, and had gotten the Wonderland as a substitute deck, and are now confused since the two are so different.

As far as a new general reading deck goes, allow me to quote myself from a recent, similar thread:
Have a look at, and read about, those three decks:

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/rider-waite/

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/marseilles-us-games/

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/aleister-crowley-thoth/

They each represent one of the major traditions in decks used today. (For the second one, since it is a historic, centuries old design, there may be better editions, I just linked to one commonly available - others more knowledgeable than me might be of help.)

Most (but not all) other decks follow more or less closely the iconography of one of those three, so it might be a good idea to start with one of the "originals".

My personal choice was the first, the RWS, sometimes I wish it had been the second, the TdM.

The third one is one I personally will not ever use, because of my opinion about its creator, but others here think highly of it.
(...)
As far as the question "one or many" goes, there will (and already have been) different answers - myself, I find it helpful to use one primary reading deck, but I enjoy having, and sometimes using, other ones as well.

canid

Your new deck should be one that *talks* to you. You can look at all the decks here (top of page; says decks) - but be prepared to spend some time there! The decks aren't shown in their entirety but there are definitely enough to tell you whether you like it or not.

Shelii

HearthCricket said:
Have you read the LWB and the Alice books, especially the annotated version? That would make the deck far more familiar to you.

Yes, you can read from one deck. But I personally find it very limiting. Reading from a variety of decks makes my readings richer. Why read just one book, over and over again, or only watch the same movie over and over again? Having a variety at your fingertips (and no, I don't mean hundreds are necessary) allows you to expand your mind and your reading skill, switch decks as needed and not get stale readings. I know some people personally who read from the same decks all the time. And they just spew out the same information for each card, no matter what position it is in or what the question was. Yes, it gets stale and isn't a very accurate reading. I have decks that I prefer to read from and will use them quite frequently, but using something different lets you clean the windows and see things in a fresh new light.

Thank you very much. I have read the books and i do believe that that has helped me with my reading of these cards. That is true that it is good to have more then one deck. I would like to have more then one but my husband and I are in a tight spot with our money at this time so i will have to use just the one till we are in better financial standing.