Different 'tones' for different TdMs?

inanna_tarot

Last night I had a really good play with my new Dodal and my Noblet that arrived. I spent time with them both, drawing cards and doing deck interviews.

The Noblet is such a loveable deck. Its so perfectly sized for my hands, and it has a very open, honest yet loving tone to it. It was very heartfelt with its interview with me, and just wants to be the deck in my bag all the time, carried around, loved and share every part of my life. It wants to be my Tarot-husband lol.

The dodal on the other hand felt very 'thothy'. It had a bit of a frenchy attitude of 'yes, I'm old, yes I'm very deep and deserve lots of intellectual debate about colours and placement. I will not be your touchy feely loving deck, I will give you truth but only if you have earned it.' But then it threw up the Roy de Coupe, so has got a caring nature, but it doesnt want to own up to it, yet.

It just struck me how different they both were when they are basically the same deck.
Did you find the same sort of thing with these decks? Or other TdMs that you have?

Or am I mad? At the end of the day, they are just pieces of paper.

KariRoad

Vive le différence!

It's why "TdM" is really just a reference, a shorthand code for many styles.

imho :)

inanna_tarot

KariRoad said:
It's why "TdM" is really just a reference, a shorthand code for many styles.

imho :)

I completely agree! And whilst I knew this on a logical level, such as with every type of tarot deck out there, I sort of forgot it with TdM. Just came as a big surprise (yes I am that stupid) lol.

Moonbow

I change... I instantly loved the Hadar, but now lesser since I have gained more Marseilles experience. I instantly disliked the Grimaud, and yet I use that mostly for quick readings. I loved the Noblet at first sight, and not so much the Dodal and Heron. I hated the *~bling~* of the Rodes/Sanchez and now I like it very much. The Camoin, I have a love/hate relationship with. But they are all beautiful and enriching Tarot decks, they all have so much to say and not just in a divination way. Whatever your bent is, the Marseilles decks will satisfy it.

:) Moonbow* is gushing....

alec

Hi Inana,

My experience is similar to Moonbow*s in that my preferences have changed over time. Initially I loved the Noblet (still do) and used it all the time. There was something about the Flornoy Dodal that gave me pause at first when I went to it for readings. It may have been the size, or the paper contrast. While I've grown to appreciate it very much, my true daily use deck is the Flornoy reproduction put out by El Tarot (Pablo Robledo) of Argentina.

For majors only readings I keep the 21 + the Fool from the Heron Conver deck in bag all the time. Wonderful deck if you ever have opportunity to get one.

I also very much like the Meneghello Neoclassical deck (not sure if it's considered a TdM).

Yes, they all do have separate "personalities"!

Alec

KariRoad

alec said:
Yes, they all do have separate "personalities"!
Sometimes rank personalities ;)
vanden2.jpg

Debra

Has he been hanging out with the Noblet magician? :laugh:

alec

I think I spotted that guy on the subway!!!

itrocksmyworld

Il Meneghello Soprafino

i wanted to give a holler to my truly special deck - the unlaminated Il Meneghello Soprafino, created originally by C. Dellarocca in Milan, c. 1835.... IT sits in ITs wooden box, emblazoned with the sun and the moon in brass, and waits patiently for the times that i need to go into all-out depth with a meditation or reading....

in terms of tone, ITs "neoclassical" style or what-have-you, would seem at first glance to separate IT from being immediately recognized as a Marseille.... yet ITs iconography is conjunctionally precise with the TdM in terms of the imagery for the Triumphs (except perhaps with the enraged woman about to brutalize the poor lion in XI, La Forza) as well as the Courts.... for all intents and purposes, the Soprafino is a 19th century redux of the old Marseille energy; and i find IT doubly compelling for ITs Italianate origin, coming from Milan where Taro may have seen some of ITs earliest incarnations, and knowing that the TdM used to be popularly known as "The Italian Taro", this beautifully-crafted deck seems to summon energy much older than ITself through ITs delicate unlaminated cards....

peace

Nolan ;-)