Disappointed: Forest Folklore Tarot

Kiama

Well I bought this deck as a Christmas present to myself (though I seem to do that all year round!) and was eagerly awaiting its arrival. I used to live near the New Forest you see, which is supposedly what this deck is inspired by/based on/ tells the story of. My family used to spend days there just walking, and I've explored some of its history and as a Pagan I delved into the spiritual heart of the place (well, the part of the New Forest nearest to Dorset - it's fairly large.)

So, when I see this deck I'm expecting a really deep portrayal of the forest - the animals, the places. Not some bunch of random Victorianised fairies, cute gnomes, and imps that I've never come across in the forest at all. Down Dorset New Forest way we get brownies and fae folk - not piddly little winged beautiful ladies wearing gossamer gowns and sitting on red cap mushrooms.

The only place I actually recognize in this deck is Corfe Castle - and that's not exactly in the forest is it? Where's the Hangman's Tree? Where's the history of the New Forest? Where are all the legends and folktales that have sprung up within and around it? Where are Sybil Leek, Gerald Gardner, and Burley the Witch Village?

Who needs fantasy fairies in gossamer gowns when the real story of the New Forest is so much more interesting and magical?

And the artwork is disappointing too - flat.

From what I've read of the little white book and the side of the box, the artist seems to be attempting to create a New Forest version of the Glastonbury Tarot, using New Forest inhabitants to pose for the cards just as Lisa Tenzin-Dolma used Glastonbury townsfolks to pose for the Glastonbury Tarot. But the Forest Folklore Tarot does not have that myth and magic that the Glastonbury Tarot has. It doesn't have many identifiable places, and certainly no mentions of New Forest Folklore. (Which is a shame, since the deck's title kinda makes you assume that's what you're getting, right?)

I rarely rant about decks these days. But this is one deck that I believe is so wrongly advertized it's unreal! Forest Folklore? Not on your nelly! Those poncy flower-girl fairies and mischevious imps aren't native to the New Forest that I know, and that forest is certainly filled with more myth and folklore than this deck lets on.

Rant over.

Kiama

Emily

Hi Kiama,

I too was very surprised by the Forest Folklore - and I had to read the title card twice just to make sure they were meaning the Actual New Forest and not some Hollywood style deck. The cards that disappointed me the most were the ones that used creatures that we don't get here in the UK - an African Lion on the World and again on Strength and then the snow capped mountains on the Emperor. There were other cards that I didn't like but its the overall feel of the deck - it makes me remember why I didn't like photo decks.

I don't know much about New Forest Folklore but this deck doesn't feel right anyway.

I've just looked through it again and the only cards I like are The Empress and The Moon. It looks very posed. I'm sure the people of the New Forest who took part were pleased with the way the deck turned out but it doesn't do much for me.

Aulruna

Missing the New Forest, too...

Hi Kiama,

you describe my feelings exactly.

I have really eagerly awaited this deck - I only know the New Forest from three or four visits to the UK, but the feeling I got there were totally different from what the decks transmits. It seemed like a stack of fantasy greeting cards to me when I first opened it... what with all the glossiness, too...

However, it might be better than my narrow prejudiced mind made me think ;-) ... because my goddaughter, who is 4, just loves it and gets some stunning results from it - though mostly not those intended by the author! For example, her favourite card is the 9 of Wands, which warns of calamity and danger, but she calls it the Birthday Party card, with a reminder to invite everyone, including Mia the cat! (Btw, no cat would attack a faerie, so she probably knows more about that card than the author of the deck!)

I would LOVE to see your interpretation of the New Forest!!

Cheers
Morwenna

Jewel-ry

Hi there Kiama,

My deck is packed away but from what I remember I have to say I agree with you in part. Living myself just a few miles from the New Forest it is much more magical than this deck shows.

I absolutely agree about the snow topped mountain in the Emperor card and a lot of the characters leave a lot to be desired. I hate the high gloss and the somewhat awful depiction of people with pixie ears. Like you I too wish the artist had incorporated some of our well known sites and myths.

Two things I did like...the Aces, the animals were well depicted and well drawn imo and the colour which I thought was well captured in many cards. Other than that a bit of a disappointment and a real shame that such a wonderful opportunity to do a deck based on the New Forest was not taken advantage of. I really think it could have been great!

HearthCricket

I also owned this deck and was very disappointed with it. The artwork is simple and not very tasteful, in comparison to some of the really "wow" decks that are out there, or even the average USG or LS deck. It has a lovely name, but the rest of it rather rots. So, you are not the only one let down by this deck.

Lula Jing

Hmmm

I got this in the mail today and have to say I was a teeny bit disappointed! I was expecting the cards to be really beautiful and to do the area justice. I've never been to the New Forest but I know how magical a forest can feel and that just didn't come across in the cards.

That said, I did like some of the cards (the Aces) but The High Priestess - yuk, The Lovers - yuk, The Star - double yuk, too much make up and pouty looking imo! To me The Star should be beeauuutiful... and this one left me cold.

However, I just love the Wheel of Fortune and I think the Moon is excellent too.

Will have to shuffle and give it a try before I talk myself out of it.... I might get some great readings from it, who knows!

Shy x

LadyMedusa

I just couldn't like it

Got it, didn't like it, traded it away...

For many of the same reasons as those above me have given. It was dissappointing to put it nicely.

LadyMedusa

Annabelle

I actually like the Forest Folklore tarot and have read with it a few times, but then I've never seen the New Forest in person, and wasn't expecting anything particular from the deck other than pretty art - which I think it delivers.

My one issue with the deck is the suit that depicts a little red devil/imp on every card. That annoys me just enough to keep me from using the deck often.

Satori

I too am not a fan of this deck.
It is actually packed away (just like Jewel-ry's ;) ) and I have no desire to pull it out any time soon.

I particularly disliked the suit where the little red devil's sit on your shoulders or on a nearby log etc. Wands right?

This was one deck that had maybe one or two cards I liked a little bit, but that mostly left me a bit bored.

In it's defense I must admit that I recv'd a great reading with it by Songdeva. She really made the deck come alive, and that was well before I owned it. But that has always been part of Songdeva's gift, bringing decks alive.

Emily

I've never been able to read with it either - they just looked so posed, all smiling happy faces - I have a very cheaply made photographic RWS that I much prefer over this deck.

I was going to trade it on but when I dragged myself away from the artwork I noticed that I have a multitude of green shades on the front borders of the cards so for now I'll keep it in with my collection. Its a shame I really hoped this deck would show the New Forest but for me it doesn't.