Do you often go back to your Tarot journal to look at past readings?

tarot_quest

Hi ATers! :)

I was just curious to know, for those of you who keep track of their readings, if you often (or sometimes) go back to previous tarot readings?

If so, why?

Is it to help you during difficult moments, or to validate if your reading was accurate? Did it turn into a ritual? Do you find it helpful somehow?

I keep track of my readings since about 2 years. When I felt very lost in my life, I would often look at my readings to give me a bit of reassurance about where things were heading. Lately, I like to look at them once in a while because I am often amazed at how things and events turned out to be. I find the whole process fascinating! if a scenario turned out to be very different than what I expected, it help me to gain a better understanding of my cards.

Thanks for sharing!

Achlys

Sometimes I go back to older readings if I'm with a repeat client or stuck on interpreting a certain card. It helps with interpreting cards now and it's very interesting to see how the definitions for some cards and card combinations have changed over time.
I find it helpful since sometimes it helps me remember certain details that I may have forgotten.

tarot_quest

Sometimes I go back to older readings if I'm with a repeat client or stuck on interpreting a certain card. It helps with interpreting cards now and it's very interesting to see how the definitions for some cards and card combinations have changed over time.

Yes! I also find it very interesting how some of the card meaning evolved over time. Sometimes, I see a good post on AT and it completely change my perspective about a card. And from there, I start to use a new meaning all of sudden.

I never used my journal to help me interpret a present reading that poses problems, but it make complete sens :)

nisaba

I was just curious to know, for those of you who keep track of their readings, if you often (or sometimes) go back to previous tarot readings?

I kept a journel for a few years in the 1980s, but I abandoned it for two reasons: the fact that it was simply a waste of paper and time as I never referred back to it, and I was starting to read publicly and on a busy day I didn't have the luxury of taking time out between clients to write up spreads.

Poring over the past isn't helpful. Moving into the future based on what you've learnt from the past is. And leaning happens in the mind, not in the pages of a journal, however pretty.

crystalrose

I don't keep a journal but sometimes I look back on AT at old readings when something someone told me has come to pass. People have predicted things for me months, sometimes a year in advance. It's always cool when that happens. :) One reader told me my relationship with my ex-bf wasn't good for me years before we broke up. I wish I had listened to her back then.

I have a really good memory tho so I can remember significant readings along with the cards I pulled. then when the event occurs, sometimes I remember the reading I did and whether I got it right or wrong.

samantha

I've found (with a few exceptions) that if I return to readings I've done for myself that I can
still read them a variety of ways, even if I *know* all of the facts or the outcome in hindsight, so ambiguity persists.

REadings which have been done for me by others are much more clear cut. They continue -or don't- to resonate and often their message/advise still pertinent in the here and now. These are the very best of the bunch, all - or longer- time truths. I remember one which Marion -Alta- did for me when I first moved to this part of Asia more than 13 yrs ago. It remains relevant today. Such readings are cherished certainly.

delinfrey

Originally, what grew into my book of shadows, was a dream and tarot journal, in middle school or so.

It is incredibly funny to go back and look at the readings I did at age 15 for example. Or choosing where to go to study. Which job to take.

I did a reading a year before my father's death, where "next year" was... Death. I wanted to go to the drama academy, got Tower (indeed, that was how it went down).

teawoman

I find that writing helps things stick in my memory better than just reading about them - so early on I did a lot of note-keeping on various takes on each of the cards.
I also like writing about new spreads or ideas I'm working on, or taking notes during online/phone seminars that I sign up for.
But I rarely refer back, unless it's an ongoing project of my own. Writing it down seems to be an end in itself.

tarot_quest

I don't keep a journal but sometimes I look back on AT at old readings when something someone told me has come to pass. People have predicted things for me months, sometimes a year in advance. It's always cool when that happens. :) One reader told me my relationship with my ex-bf wasn't good for me years before we broke up. I wish I had listened to her back then.

I have a really good memory tho so I can remember significant readings along with the cards I pulled. then when the event occurs, sometimes I remember the reading I did and whether I got it right or wrong.

I wish I had such good memory! Sometimes, I regret that I did not write down a specific reading, since I forget the cards 10 minutes after... :rolleyes: Yes, it is pretty cool that you received such accurate and insightful predictions!

I've found (with a few exceptions) that if I return to readings I've done for myself that I can
still read them a variety of ways, even if I *know* all of the facts or the outcome in hindsight, so ambiguity persists.

REadings which have been done for me by others are much more clear cut. They continue -or don't- to resonate and often their message/advise still pertinent in the here and now. These are the very best of the bunch, all - or longer- time truths. I remember one which Marion -Alta- did for me when I first moved to this part of Asia more than 13 yrs ago. It remains relevant today. Such readings are cherished certainly.

That is completely crazy if a reading done more than 13 years ago still resonate today! I also think that you brought a good point when saying that there is STILL some ambiguity when trying to understand the meaning of a past reading, even when the event has passed and you know the outcome.

Originally, what grew into my book of shadows, was a dream and tarot journal, in middle school or so.

It is incredibly funny to go back and look at the readings I did at age 15 for example. Or choosing where to go to study. Which job to take.

I did a reading a year before my father's death, where "next year" was... Death. I wanted to go to the drama academy, got Tower (indeed, that was how it went down).

Your reply is so cute :). My god! I can imagine how weird and fun it is to look back at those reading, when you had to take decisions while being a teenager!! And fore your dad, I think that seeing the card in advance did help you somehow to get a bit more prepared. I am sure that you must have denied the outcome a bit, but it was maybe a warning for you to enjoy the rest of your time with your dad :heart:.

I find that writing helps things stick in my memory better than just reading about them - so early on I did a lot of note-keeping on various takes on each of the cards.
I also like writing about new spreads or ideas I'm working on, or taking notes during online/phone seminars that I sign up for.
But I rarely refer back, unless it's an ongoing project of my own. Writing it down seems to be an end in itself.

How funny that you write down your reading, but don't refer to them! I rarely take notes about spreads, but I should do it more. When I used to study for exams, the fact of writing down information helped me to memorize the courses, so I understand your idea :)

SunChariot

Hi ATers! :)

If so, why?

Is it to help you during difficult moments, or to validate if your reading was accurate? Did it turn into a ritual? Do you find it helpful somehow?

I keep track of my readings since about 2 years. When I felt very lost in my life, I would often look at my readings to give me a bit of reassurance about where things were heading. Lately, I like to look at them once in a while because I am often amazed at how things and events turned out to be. I find the whole process fascinating! if a scenario turned out to be very different than what I expected, it help me to gain a better understanding of my cards.

Thanks for sharing!

Where I am now, almost never. When I was starting out, I used to do it all the time and it was invaluable in teaching me how the cards talked to me personally and how to understand them better.

By now I don't look back at readings to learn more about reading. I'm comfortable enough where I am now as a reader that I don't feel much like a "learner" anymore. BUT I do still keep some readings on important or recurring issues in my life that repeatedly come up. I keep them in a section literally called "Important Readings". So when the same issues show up the next time I can still read the old readings and learn from their advice.

Babs